Old May 01, 2012, 09:54 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Discussion
Blade tracking issue - one side of disc out of track

Have a dumb blade tracking question...

So I recently converted a 450 to FBL (Align FBL head). Had to make tracking adjustments after assembling the head (using the same Align c/f blades I was using in my flybar'ed setup, they tracked razor sharp on the old head) as the blades were a good 1/4" off track on both sides. After making adjustments to the blade/swash linkages, the front of the disc is razor sharp but the rear of the disc is about 1/10" out of track, and I can't seem to change that no matter how many linkage adjustments I make. I've already swapped out the feathering shaft (using a v2 Align) and I do notice a tiny bit of play in main grips (I'll probably end up using an extra pair of shim washers inside the grips to take care of it), but that doesn't seem to be something that would cause this sort of tracking issue. Checked pitch, 0 at mid-stick and +/-12 at the extremes, all equal. I always bolt down the blades tightly in the main grips, and checked that both were locked down with equal force (by moving both blades simultaneously with both hands to ensure they moved equally within the main grips).

I have read conflicting information across various forums that this can happen as the dampeners "settle in", while others blame it on bent feathering shafts (already tried swapping, no difference). I'm using stiff KBDD 3D dampeners, I also tried the softer stock Align dampeners and there was no difference with the tracking. Any thoughts/advice as to what might be causing one side of the rotor disc to go out of track? Thanks!
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 10:46 AM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
Have a dumb blade tracking question...

So I recently converted a 450 to FBL (Align FBL head). Had to make tracking adjustments after assembling the head (using the same Align c/f blades I was using in my flybar'ed setup, they tracked razor sharp on the old head) as the blades were a good 1/4" off track on both sides. After making adjustments to the blade/swash linkages, the front of the disc is razor sharp but the rear of the disc is about 1/10" out of track, and I can't seem to change that no matter how many linkage adjustments I make. I've already swapped out the feathering shaft (using a v2 Align) and I do notice a tiny bit of play in main grips (I'll probably end up using an extra pair of shim washers inside the grips to take care of it), but that doesn't seem to be something that would cause this sort of tracking issue. Checked pitch, 0 at mid-stick and +/-12 at the extremes, all equal. I always bolt down the blades tightly in the main grips, and checked that both were locked down with equal force (by moving both blades simultaneously with both hands to ensure they moved equally within the main grips).
I have read conflicting information across various forums that this can happen as the dampeners "settle in", while others blame it on bent feathering shafts (already tried swapping, no difference). I'm using stiff KBDD 3D dampeners, I also tried the softer stock Align dampeners and there was no difference with the tracking. Any thoughts/advice as to what might be causing one side of the rotor disc to go out of track? Thanks!
Just a thought Chris----have you checked the swash for level? sounds like it might be tilted a little fore or aft. You might check and see if the grip links are the same length allso.
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Last edited by prop bender; May 01, 2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: add info
Old May 01, 2012, 11:45 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
prop bender - thanks for the tips. I eye-balled the swash (mid-stick only, I expect the 3-axis gyro to keep the swash level at other heights) to check that it's level, but it could still be off a bit, I will double-check with a swash leveler and input some trims through the gyro interface if it's off. I haven't checked grip links since making the tracking adjustments. Usually I pick one link and adjust, I probably should have been making adjustments to both links to keep them as equal as possible. I also ordered new links since I slipped with the ball link pliers and chewed up the base of one of the links, so I may just get those new links equaled out and pull the old ones. I'll report back once I have a chance to try that out (probably this weekend).

I hadn't really encountered this issue previously so any suggestions are helpful.

ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY