Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 01, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Discussion
I want a larger FP - V200D01 or?

So I think I want a 200 size or larger FP to bridge the gap between flying my GW 9958 and controlling a CP heli. Obviously there are quite a few opinions on when to go CP and what heli to do it with, but I think right now I want another FP.

Like everyone I have several different types of helis Im currently flying including a FXD co-axial (I like the size and have improved it for better FF, but it is still a toy with some bad habits blade-to-blade strikes and motor cut outs), NE Combat Twisters (4-channel co-axials), the above mentioned 9958 that I fly the heck out of inside and out, and a Walkera 4G6S/2801 Pro that I crash a lot when I fly.

The FXD co-axial tells me I like the size and the ability to carry a camera.

The Combat Twisters are really fun with family and friends.

The 9958 is great, but hard to see outdoors and does some weird stuff when pushed.

The 4G6S tells me that I am not quite ready for CP.

So I am looking at the Walkera V200D01 to bind to my 2801 Pro, though a RTF version may happen because the price isnt much different.

Nobody but WOW seems to have this heli in stock is that because it is about to be replaced with something better?

What other larger FP helis should I look at?
Scott in NH is offline Find More Posts by Scott in NH
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 10:32 AM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in NH View Post
So I think I want a 200 size or larger FP to bridge the gap between flying my GW 9958 and controlling a CP heli. Obviously there are quite a few opinions on when to go CP and what heli to do it with, but I think right now I want another FP.

Like everyone I have several different types of helis Im currently flying including a FXD co-axial (I like the size and have improved it for better FF, but it is still a toy with some bad habits blade-to-blade strikes and motor cut outs), NE Combat Twisters (4-channel co-axials), the above mentioned 9958 that I fly the heck out of inside and out, and a Walkera 4G6S/2801 Pro that I crash a lot when I fly.

The FXD co-axial tells me I like the size and the ability to carry a camera.

The Combat Twisters are really fun with family and friends.

The 9958 is great, but hard to see outdoors and does some weird stuff when pushed.

The 4G6S tells me that I am not quite ready for CP.

So I am looking at the Walkera V200D01 to bind to my 2801 Pro, though a RTF version may happen because the price isnt much different.

Nobody but WOW seems to have this heli in stock is that because it is about to be replaced with something better?

What other larger FP helis should I look at?
Take a look at the MJX-F45. The MJX brand is not as popular and mainstream but there are a bunch of us flying it and loving it. Build quality is very good. It is ~300 size, with 21" rotor span. Can be had for ~$110 to $130 depending on where you live, and a camera attachment is an available option.

Check out the thread here.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old May 01, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
Take a look at the MJX-F45. The MJX brand is not as popular and mainstream but there are a bunch of us flying it and loving it. Build quality is very good. It is ~300 size, with 21" rotor span. Can be had for ~$110 to $130 depending on where you live, and a camera attachment is an available option.

Check out the thread here.
I had looked at that a bit and it is a nice looking heli that does seem to offer a decent bang for the buck.
I guess the question is whether the V200D01 is worth the extra $100 for a BL motor, FBL head and shaft driven tail? The only downside I have seen is the easily damaged main gear.
Old May 01, 2012, 12:54 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
The MJX-F45 is another 45 flybar heli that exhibits the same properties you already see in the 9958. it's certainly not a next step. Flybarless FP helis have much faster response and don't self-stabilize.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old May 01, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The MJX-F45 is another 45 flybar heli that exhibits the same properties you already see in the 9958. it's certainly not a next step. Flybarless FP helis have much faster response and don't self-stabilize.
Thanks for the post and that is why I was thinking I want to go to a FBL heli to bridge the gap (my talent gap that is) to my 4G6S - am I on the right track?
Old May 01, 2012, 01:40 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
I would think flybarless is the way to go. The V200D01 is probably going away, though. It's not Devo compatible. Another consideration is there isn't a lot of difference between flybarless FP and CP helis. Depending on the model, the difference is basically one servo. The micro sized, all plastic, flybarless CP helis may be good option.
Old May 01, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
I would think flybarless is the way to go. The V200D01 is probably going away, though. It's not Devo compatible. Another consideration is there isn't a lot of difference between flybarless FP and CP helis. Depending on the model, the difference is basically one servo. The micro sized, all plastic, flybarless CP helis may be good option.
I agree to a point. I considered/am considering a Genius that will bind with my 2801. The price is right, it seems like it should be stable enough and it is fairly tough, but it is so small. I already have a small CP in the 4G6S with the only disadvantage being that it is not as sturdy. I might still end up with a Genius to actually make the transition - it depends on how I do with the 4G6S in the near future.

Right now, unless convinced otherwise (and I do have an open mind) I want a larger heli as I like flying them and I like being able to see them. I am not ready for a large CP as I think I will be crashing/breaking it often and get frustrated (like I did with the 4G6S). I also want the next step in pilot control over the 9958 I am flying now hence FBL.

Am I making any sense?
Old May 01, 2012, 03:26 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
I have a Genius and I can't recommend it. It has very short battery life and the landing gear is fragile. The Mini CP is better, but the Blade MCPx is the most durable and a reasonable size for outdoors. I Never liked the 4G6S, too squirrelly and fragile for me. There's nothing wrong with the V200D01, just wanted to make sure you were aware that the differences between flybarless FP and CP helis isn't very much.
Old May 01, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
I have a Genius and I can't recommend it. It has very short battery life and the landing gear is fragile. The Mini CP is better, but the Blade MCPx is the most durable and a reasonable size for outdoors. I Never liked the 4G6S, too squirrelly and fragile for me. There's nothing wrong with the V200D01, just wanted to make sure you were aware that the differences between flybarless FP and CP helis isn't very much.
I,m glad (sort of) that it isn't just the nOOb in me that thinks the 4G6S is squirrelly and fragile. I've gotten a lot of the fragile out of it but....

When looking at smaller CP's I have been reading about and considering the MCPx as well - thanks for the insight.

The heli solution needed with a larger CP is twofold;

1) what is out there that crashes as well as as the V200D01?
2) what is out there that is stable enough for me to transition to without too many situation 1's?

I'm not against a CP, but the 4G6S has me VERY gun shy....
Old May 01, 2012, 04:02 PM
Jesus Freak
Southern CA
Joined Oct 2008
3,209 Posts
get a funcopter, there are two in the for sale section right now and both are at an excellent price point compared to new and what you get
AtTheCross is offline Find More Posts by AtTheCross
Old May 01, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross View Post
get a funcopter, there are two in the for sale section right now and both are at an excellent price point compared to new and what you get
They look cool and I like the size, but I'm not looking at spending much more than about $200
Old May 01, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Larger FP

Personally I like to set 2 flight modes for my TREX 450XP because I find FP smoother under certain conditions. If the wind picks up, I simply switch to CP. I keep my hovering throttle and pitch curves the same between modes, so switching is seamless.

Lately I developed a flybarless head and just made the swap WITHOUT stabilization. Because it's so responsive, my D/R is set down to 20% with NO expo. I can't believe how "attached" I feel. Every move I make is instantly there and no need to over correct. You can actually be in a bank and let go of your cyclic and BAM, your level. I'm loving it and plan on practicing much more thereby slowly increasing my D/R. But keep in mind, because control is instant you can't eliminate D/R unless you plan on using stabilization. But once you get that "connected" feeling, you won't go back.

Oh, and it's even more controllable in FP mode.
abyssal20 is offline Find More Posts by abyssal20
Last edited by abyssal20; May 01, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old May 01, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssal20 View Post
Personally I like to set 2 flight modes for my TREX 450XP because I find FP smoother under certain conditions. If the wind picks up, I simply switch to CP. I keep my hovering throttle and pitch curves the same between modes, so switching is seamless.

Lately I developed a flybarless head and just made the swap WITHOUT stabilization. Because it's so responsive, my D/R is set down to 20% with NO expo. I can't believe how "attached" I feel. Every move I make is instantly there and no need to over correct. You can actually be in a bank and let go of your cyclic and BAM, your level. I'm loving it and plan on practicing much more thereby slowly increasing my D/R. But keep in mind, because control is instant you can't eliminate D/R unless you plan on using stabilization. But once you get that "connected" feeling, you won't go back.

Oh, and it's even more controllable in FP mode.
Ok that is very interesting. For me, the instant head speed and the thought of negative pitch are still intimidating.

That said, to go with your 2 cents - I can't do a trex, but I can do this, but can I (afford to) learn how to fly it?

COPTERX 450SE-WOW ARF w/Metal Gear Tail Servo & Walkera RX2801 Receiver:Carbon Fiber Frame,CopterX GY240 Gyro,2200mAh 25C Battery

Build on the CopterX 450SE version 2 platform with upgraded electronics.

Okay, you want the best 450 size heli that can use off the shelf universal Trex450 parts but you don't want to spend twice for an Align Trex450 or you simply don't have the time or experience to assemble one. Our mission is to fulfill that need and bring you the high performance 450 RTF that you have been looking for. Wow has chosen CopterX as the best 450 platform to build upon. For years CopterX has the best reputation and review among the 450 compatibles. However, CopterX like Align does not make all the best electronic components. Wow Hobbies carefully selects those components from other manufacturers transforming it into a high performance affordable 450.

All experience pilots agree "The helicopter is only as good as its tail". Knowing the importance of tail authority, we have installed one of the best digital metal gear tail servos available. In addition to the tail upgrade, we have also integrated the state of the art proven reliable long range receiver, the Walkera RX2801-PRO, transforming the basic CopterX 450 into a true all-out 3D flier.
Specification
(1) Motor: CopterX 450 brushless motor(3500KV)
(2) ESC: CopterX 50A
(3) Gyro: CopterX GY240 gyro
(4) Cyclic Servos: 9g servos *3Pcs
(5) Tail servo: Metal Gear
(6) Receiver: Walkera 8 Channel RX2801-PRO
(7) Battery: Li-Po Battery 2200mAh, 11.1V, 25C
(8) Charger: Not included (Requires a 3 cell balance charger to fly)
(9) Transmitter: Not included (Requires you to already own a Walkera WK2801 or WK2801-PRO transmitter to fly)
(10) Frame: Carbon Fiber
1.Length:650mm
2.Height:230mm
3.Main Rotor:700mm
4.Tail Rotor:150mm
5.Motor Gear:13T/11T
6.Main Gear:150T
7.Autorotation Tail Drive Gear:106T
8.Tail Drive Gear:25T
9.Drive Gear Ratio:1:11.5:4.24/1:13.6:4.24
10.Weight(without power system):354g
11.Weight(including power system):690g

http://www.wowhobbies.com/copterx450...rx2801rec.aspx
Old May 01, 2012, 06:47 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
There isn't a lot of choice in larger FP helis. It's either the Walkera V200D01 or something similar from Walkera. Your experience with the 4G6S is not indicative of any other heli I can think of. It's an early micro CP and has lots of shortcomings.

You could always try the MQx quad. That will teach you how to fly a CP heli. It responds just as fast, but is very stable and you can't break the damn things! It's my current favorite.
Old May 01, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
398 Posts
Walkera UFLYS with the extreme mod.
Brushless, Shaft drive, plenty of power, stable (once you get it dialed in) and parts are everywhere...

Here's the link to the mod:
http://www.clubheli.com/Xtreme-Bell-...YS_p_3187.html
PonyBoy1973 is online now Find More Posts by PonyBoy1973