HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
757 Posts
I'll give it a shot this weekend. Speed will depend on the prop/motor combo. I believe that Dave currently has the smaller motor in his, while I have the larger version. In theory, if a plane has its CG set correctly, it shouldn't require up or down elevator when changing speeds.

If it is pitching up as speed is increased, it is generally a sign of being nose heavy. In this situation CG should be adjusted rearward by small amounts until it is perfect and.does not pitch up or down as you change throttle. You will have to re-trim the elevator downward as you move it to the rear until you find the sweet spot.

Has this been a problem with your FPV planes?
McCleary.11 is online now Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Last edited by McCleary.11; Aug 17, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:12 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,220 Posts
Just wanted to know whats the big difference btwn the 2 motor selections?

What other motors are good selection? I ask because I currently have a brand new
Scorpion 3014-1040kv version2 that I was going to use on my SkyWalker (4s lipo, 9x6prop).
Is this too much motor for this plane?

Low cruise amps? longer flight times? 3s or 4s Lipo?

or just sell my equipment and use the PNP versions of the Penguin to keep everything simpler:-)
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Feb 2010
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
Tim from ReadyMadeRC sent me the 2200m version of the Penguin.

It's a really nice plane and I expect this will become an FPV standard once out. These are some videos I've made featuring carious aspects of the plane:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyq3cGG1RC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKjqMq6eBvA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRRmxzogjtY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqZ7C-W0meM
the nice video has been collected to the top of the posts, I hope to collect more from more FPV pilots.
Atflying is offline Find More Posts by Atflying
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Feb 2010
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
Just wanted to know whats the big difference btwn the 2 motor selections?

What other motors are good selection? I ask because I currently have a brand new
Scorpion 3014-1040kv version2 that I was going to use on my SkyWalker (4s lipo, 9x6prop).
Is this too much motor for this plane?

Low cruise amps? longer flight times? 3s or 4s Lipo?

or just sell my equipment and use the PNP versions of the Penguin to keep everything simpler:-)
The big difference is the thrust of the Motor. currently we tested data shown M2220 static thrust is 1.5KG and M2815 static thrust is 1.95kg,(with 3S battery)
the Static thrust would be important to your airplane's payload. currently found no obvious difference with their flight performance.

I'm not familiar with Scorpion 3014? could you let us know 3014 is the stator's size or outside dimensions? of perhaps more specifications for the motor would be helpfull for our reference.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:01 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,714 Posts
heres that motor, I have the same motor on my old SkyWalker
Scorpion 3014

(i think its too big of a motor for this lighter Penguin plane)
with a 10" prop, you'll get a 1:1 ratio.... (I think).

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...I-3014-1220KV/

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/files/...data_chart.htm

Just use the recommended motor they have on the RMRC site
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Feb 2010
175 Posts
Thanks for you information.

As the testing data shown that , with APC 9'' propeller, 4S battery, the static thrust is almost the same with M28153S battery, or a little higer, but the price is big difference, this would be a powerfull horse to drag the airplane flying.... concerned about KV1040, with 4S battery, the thrust approximately between 1.7-1.9Kg or perhaps 2.0kg, I'm not quite sure, need testing to prove it more attentions to its "efficiency" and power consuming
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I'd be very interested in the straight-and-level max speed and how much down elevator you need to apply, if that's something you could try next time you fly it.
Max speed with straight and level flight today was 50-55mph. This required no elevator down. 9x7 APC style prop.
McCleary.11 is online now Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:23 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atflying View Post
Hi dave, you did it a full review and so cool.

thanks for your efforts, especially for you unique formation flight
in the sky to watch the aerobatic airplane is really a good enjoyment

we can tell from your video that you flown the" penguin" for many many times

what you tested is the standard version with M2220 instead of advance version M2815, seems that this version is also capable to fly with GOPRO and enough payload is no problem
Yes, I've had a lot of time flying the Penguin so far and have only used the M2200 system and loaded it up to 66.90 ounces at most on my weigh in and it was still easy to hand launch and took about 25 feet to take off on a flat dirt road.

@ saucisse - Thanks! Yes, inverted pan tilt was pretty crazy to start trying as orientation is pretty wacky, but I'll need to have that skill down as we attempt to do some cool formation flying with the Penguins.

@ bmschulman - Is this faster than a Sky Surfer/Bixler? In other words, might it be a good upgrade for faster proximity flying? I cant get the Sky Surfer to fly much over 35 MPH without holding a lot of down elevator, and that seems like a strain on the plane. Would be nice to hit 50 or 60. Dave, have you clocked the speed?

It's definitely a bigger plane than those. I consider those planes more in the same size as the Easy Star and here's a pic of the Penguin next to my EZ*:

I've been able to fly faster with the Penguin using this base M2200 system than my EZ* for sure. With a tail wind and in slight dive at full throttle I've been over 60mph, but usually fly this system with a full FPV load at about 25-35mph and it can fly as slow as 19 or so before it's stalling and nosing over. Also no difference at full or slow throttle on the elevator trim. Stays pretty solid. More so than my Skywalker that will have some tail flex as you apply more throttle creating a slight trim adjustment. I'm with Kevin on that one. ;-)

I'm quite happy with the base M2200 system, but will add in more power and report back so there's a range of data on different systems. But if you get the M2200 I think most will be happy even with that alone as I have been.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:38 AM
Joined Feb 2010
175 Posts
a short words on the penguin flight conclusion based on lots of testing flight:

Change speed: do not need to control elevator up or down
Straight level flight: Generally I did not need elevator up or down.
running take off: need a 30-50meter's long flat ground or more is better,
hand lanunching: elevator control control is required, approximate 60%,do not need too much. the initial 5 seconds is important to keep the airplane fly well.
when you control the airplane big attack angle fly too much then stalling, don't worry if you have more than 60 meters' height, elevator 60%-70% up, then it may recover level flight(do not recommend big attack angle fly, this may usually happened during take off)

should pay attentions to the CG. my experiences tell me that the airplane is not very sensitive to the CG. but it doesn't mean the CG. is not important!! also recommended to have a try to adjust the CG. correctly before real FPV flight.
must check the horizontal stabilizer carefully before take off
Be sure that the motor has been installed correctly as manual instructions. if you use your own motor, you have to adjust it reference to finwing's motor..

pay attentions to the side wind during take off, the side wind may cause the airplane "slant", if you have more than 50 meters' long runway, you can make cotrol the elevator up to 90% , the airplane can take off suddently,very exciting..

you can see it by the following video:
[
Finwing Penguin exciting take off (0 min 32 sec)

attentions also should be to the landing when encountered side wind.

Penguin's gliding without power is very good, you can control a little bit elevator up during circle gliding down step by step , you can control the elevator down a little bit if you want the airplane landing quickly, but do not recommended to do this if your payload is big, this may easy cause stalling.
Last edited by Atflying; Aug 23, 2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Apr 2010
11 Posts
subscribing
esamolicik is offline Find More Posts by esamolicik
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:15 PM
Alex USA
Joined Oct 2011
511 Posts
Guys, can you provide more photos inside fuselage with a measurement please ?
I understand - if it works for you - should work for me but ... just want to be sure.

One more thing - I saw in your videos a lot of glare from canopy "windshield" ! I am wondering can you easily (how) remove that plastic cover and keep everything open or is it glued ...

Thank you

BTW - Nice looking plane, looks like there is a real access to fuselage.
I hope your wings reinforcement will handle real weight of long range PFV gear ...
usa.alex is offline Find More Posts by usa.alex
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Feb 2010
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa.alex View Post
Guys, can you provide more photos inside fuselage with a measurement please ?
I understand - if it works for you - should work for me but ... just want to be sure.

One more thing - I saw in your videos a lot of glare from canopy "windshield" ! I am wondering can you easily (how) remove that plastic cover and keep everything open or is it glued ...

Thank you

BTW - Nice looking plane, looks like there is a real access to fuselage.
I hope your wings reinforcement will handle real weight of long range PFV gear ...
Hi, seems the following pictures would be helpful to explain size of the fuselage.
Canopy not glued, fixed by screw, you can close or take it away as you wish.
Wing Reinforcement: seems that no one want to reinforce it again when they get the airplane because it has been strong enough, lots lots of strike testing and destructive landing make the wing stronger finally

Last edited by Atflying; Aug 30, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Feb 2010
175 Posts
Penguin Fuselage

Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:42 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atflying View Post
a short words on the penguin flight conclusion based on lots of testing flight:

must check the horizontal stabilizer carefully before take off
What do you mean? I think you glue in the horizontal stab, it is not removable.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:51 PM
Alex USA
Joined Oct 2011
511 Posts
Thanks for photos !
Subscribed and will pre-order. Is readymade only re-seller in USA ?
usa.alex is offline Find More Posts by usa.alex