HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2012, 06:19 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Dunedin
Joined Jun 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
Would work, but good luck getting up there and then trying to land a $4000 compy
I was thinking more along the lines of a $100 foamy. Of course in winter its all covered in snow, nice and soft
Wadsta is offline Find More Posts by Wadsta
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 09:54 PM
Get your build on!
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,770 Posts
I would love to have the time and money to take a trip to NZ and check out all the hills around Lake Tekapo. Is the wind generated from passing storm fronts or does it have other sources of wind (like summer Weldon for example)?
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old May 05, 2012, 10:48 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
We get strong NW winds often, I'm sure a google search will yield some results about how they are formed.
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 05:39 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
436 Posts
The wind in Wellington is usually NNW or SSE - pretty reliably so. Out on the West coast its a touch more Westerly, but not much.

Having spent a lot of time scouring maps and GE of wellington for potential soaring sites (DS included), i come to the conclusion that the best potential lies in the south coast. Relatively easy access (4x4 and walking, but public access), reliable strong southerly winds coming off the sea. Good ridge line(s).

One possible site for SE and one for more due S - both common. Drive along the beach and then walk up.

Street names will give its location away pretty easily.
taurineman is offline Find More Posts by taurineman
Old May 18, 2012, 09:43 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Found a pic of the proposed site:
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 09:50 PM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,601 Posts
That's from the live cam..
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old May 19, 2012, 02:50 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Ah couldn't put that pass you Tim =)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 04:06 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Planning on heading down to check it out on Sunday. Will take lots of video and photos. Gutted I don't have the K100 to fly there =(
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 07:28 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
If anyone does want to make a trip down to Tekapo quite happy to provide free accomodation (non-luxury though, mid renovations!) and repair facilities at my place. I'm 1/2 hr away from Tekapo in Fairlie. I also have a contact at Mt John that will give access to the road even if it's closed.
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old May 22, 2012, 07:30 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Oh and Alex don't be too taken in by the place on Sunday that you're not there to let me out of the carpark Sunday night!!
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old May 22, 2012, 10:04 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Cheers, Nick. I will be at work from 7pm till after midnight
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ALEX HEWSON; May 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:57 AM
Mr T
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Feilding
Joined Dec 2009
309 Posts
Had a good scope at these hills while working today, have been going there for over twenty years but only recently did I click to the idea they may be good DS sites. After seeing them today I am sure they will work. I didn't have the time to climb up and fly today but next chance I get I will test out the sites. No camera on hand either but I hope you can see some of the potential from google earth
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337838953.865361.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 147.1 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337838977.816274.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 117.1 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337839003.403226.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 141.2 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337839037.501230.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 140.1 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337839059.571114.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 123.1 KB
Description:
trub is online now Find More Posts by trub
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:09 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
We have flown tekapo! In 45mph average winds!

Need to get some energy up before posting report
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:53 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Need to rename thread to NZ's Mars!

WHAT POWER!!!!

Wind is forecast for twice as much tomorrow: Not doing the 500km round trip again though.... till Friday
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:40 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Well I finished work last night at 12:15am, got home at 12:30am. Thought, CRAP need a foamy to test the new ridge rather than a composite. Had my Jazz sitting in one corner with all covering ripped off. Right, get some spray adhesive on it and grab the elevons I had bagged up a while back. At 1:45am it had a layer of strapping tape on it, some rough cut 3mm coreflute fins screwed on into the EPP, elevons on, crappy Chinese plastic horns and clevis in place. Flyable but ugly. Packed car, put some things on charge overnight then went to bed.

Woke up at 8am and thought I need some colour on the wing to give any form of orientation. Did that. Packed rest of stuff into car, made myself a nice coffee and headed off to pick up Andrew.

Got to Sawdon Station at the bottom of the hill to meet the Station owner at 11:09am, he is all keen and happy to have us up the hill. BUT he said, you ain’t getting that 2wd mazda up those tracks! I replied: You haven’t met Bruce Tebo!

Well turns out I am NO Bruce Tebo and could not get my front wheel drive up the slippery gentle incline as muddy mossy grass wetted by natural underground springs is as slippery as ice IF NOT MORE! Was maybe a 5-10 degree incline, but could not get traction. Went around to try the Southern track, but could not find it and tried rock crawling up a 30 degree incline, but my car was seriously bottoming out so called it quits. Drove back around to the bottom of the hill and decided to walk up. Started to put the D60 together and Rx into the F230 Scratcho, but thought better of carrying 4 models and two transmitters up! Settled for easy to carry RT42, and Jazz foamie and the one transmitter. This was now about 1pm! 2 hours mucking around with the car grrr

Well Video will tell the best story but got to the top to screaming winds and a very rocky landscape that resembles the pics I have seen of the Mars site Joe Manor loves to fly. Thought, Lets see if it has the same legendary power! Launched off the Jazz after finding the closest possible spot to fly (walk was a killer), trimmed it up, dove in to have it ROCKET (I mean I have never seen it like this before!) back out at about three times the initial airspeed! Scared me almost! AND it was foam!

After giggling like a little girl for a bit, I calmed down and tried again, this time to string some laps together. Got Andrew on the radar and managed 146mph, but found the zone very changeable, one minute powerful but rough, followed by super powerful for a min, then silky smooth and so on. Was hard to string nice laps together with a light plane in the serious wind. Needed a heavy model doing big circuits. I tried bigger circuits and it was much easier, but because of the light weight of the airframe it would only sit at about 120-130mph. Needed to wrap it up to get the speed, but was rougher doing so and hard to keep nice laps together.

Landed after 5min and helped Andrew get his new Scratcho in the air. Had some trimming issues, mainly getting right amount of down for crow and elevator lacking response. Tried a couple of laps on the back, but was not happy with the elevator. Landed and took some weight out of the nose and tried again on the front. Better and another lap on the back had it tucking. So less expo I think was needed and weight back in. Two perfect landings which I got on film. Easy to land in the only spot we tried. A bit rocky, but I later walked down and found some better spots to try in the future.

Flew the RT42 but that was horrible being so light. Had same problems as before, had to wrap tight to get the speed but strong wing was playing havoc with the 500gm model! Backside landing on the nice grass and was time to head off as was about 2:45pm and I was supposed to be working at 3:45pm! Had to take half a nights annual leave from work. Stopped for a nice late-lunch on the way back and chatted about how things went.

Heading up tomorrow again in the Stronger winds forecast. This time with a 4WD!
RCG Plus Member