ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:38 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,231 Posts
Another great day at tekapo.... Hope someone is up there..??

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:41 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,002 Posts
Nope. I need some models to fly first!

Also Waiting until Lambing is over
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:44 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post

Also Waiting until Lambing is over
MMMMM lamb..
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:06 AM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
514 Posts
Quote:
Me too. I have been in the garage all day building but not too much to show for it yet
jonoashton is online now Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:43 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,002 Posts
Next big NW at tekapo will have a kinetic in it! No wind on the forecast though, and relies on there being a radar guy/girl.

Been waiting for this opportunity for a long time!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:56 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,070 Posts
Dooeet Alex!!!
Raise once again NZ record
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:37 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,209 Posts
or word record!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:55 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,002 Posts
Na I just want to experience flying a Kinetic at tekapo. It is an epic site!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:59 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,002 Posts
Quote:
Next big NW at tekapo will have a kinetic in it! No wind on the forecast though, and relies on there being a radar guy/girl.

Been waiting for this opportunity for a long time!
I did it! Interesting reading back through this thread.

Very happy after Rob and I found this as a possible site, then all the hours spent driving, testing it out and trying different parts etc. To finally get a Kinetic up in it and achieve a long time goal of 400+mph, is a drem come true.

I really need to thank all the guys that put up with me and spent hours gunning for me; Rob Duff, Andrew Palmer, Peter France, Corrie Hoult, Sharn Davies, Neal Blackie and any others I have missed. Without you guys, none of it would have been possible, and we would still be wondering if that site would ever work. You guys rock!

One thing I learnt this last time, was that it was smoother with more power down south towards the saddle more. Andrew Von Berky had tried that spot several times, but I went right down further and found crisp clean shear, and smoother air. There was still a nasty rotor right where you needed to fly for the gun, and the biggest problem I had was loosing site of the model right around that point where it comes back straight at you coming out of the bottom turn. I lost sight of the BIG RED K130 most laps on the low line. Hence only about 10-15% reads on the gun, most being off angle. The k2m disapeared for seconds at a time... REALLY Scary
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:21 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,425 Posts
Alex do you mean that you walked further to the south along the ridge from the usual flying area? Like, from where the old 'Burner went in after your 285, you walked over the road along the top of the ridge and further along? Sounds like you went to the far end. Yes I went down there and quit quickly because it was just bad air and no power, but that was during that weird half hour on the DS Fest "Big Day" when the wind just went bad over the whole ridge. I didn't try it properly again when the conditions had come good, from memory. Did you do the circles looking to the south, dropping in towards the huge big saddle that the road comes up? I tried going that way with the DSX in the bad air and it was freaky losing sight of it as it rounded the bluff at the end of the ridge, where it drops into the saddle. But on earlier visits on milder days I felt that section of the ridge was much smoother than the main site. A couple of times on the first trip I tried it quite close to the main site, but facing back to the north, diving in over the main area, and it was really good clean power, but the scary bit was that the descending line felt very close over a side ridge which just felt too close and scary when it wound up.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:55 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,002 Posts
Yes down where we flew the Shockwave that day in October. Not all the way to the end, but above that hill that juts out from the back. The video will show where...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2013, 04:50 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,002 Posts
400 day at Tekapo. NZ's Fastest Model plane (18 min 47 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2013, 07:11 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,425 Posts
GREAT video Alex! Far from being too long I was on the edge of my seat the whole time! I have to confess that although the fast laps were great, I was absolutely in raptures watching the K130 landings (and the Scorcher). If they allowed you to perform landing DS planes on a "New Zealand's Got Talent" show, you'd be voted the outright winner hands down at the first episode and they'd just cancel the series after that. Mate those landings are just beautiful.

I had a giggle at a few things ... seeing the "Andrew Hole" from the DSX impact again is mixed memories! Punching the 'Burner into a rock ... Reaper blowing up ... skating the K130 down sharp rocks on 2nd launch ... ouch!! OK Correy, you fly and I'll launch ... and very sad to see the K2M exploded in bits. Watching that vid it's obvious that you really gave it everything. You're like the Ninja Warrior of DS ... it's win the fight or die trying! Good on you.

Geez that was a close thing how much you got sucked down on that final 414 lap. Very scary. Then it was good to see you absolutely giving it to the Scorcher, nailing it really hard and obviously more comfortable with a plane you knew well ... and it looked like the Scorcher was loving it too.

Great stuff Alex, well done.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old May 01, 2013, 07:25 AM
Shane Spoor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2006
360 Posts
Awesome Vid ,terrible to loose you K2m ,but you still have the scorcher, looked more solid than the K130
PlayinInTheParK is online now Find More Posts by PlayinInTheParK