HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 05:17 AM
RosscoPK
Aberdeen Scotland
Joined Jul 2009
204 Posts
Discussion
FASST compatible rx's

What's the general opinion of the non futaba receivers that are available these days? Any recommendations or horror stories?

Is the 1/3 saving on futaba price worth any risk?
Rosscopk is offline Find More Posts by Rosscopk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 06:43 AM
Tobias (aka glider hangaround)
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Apr 2008
551 Posts
I fly them in several slopers and one DLG and no trouble so far in a year of flying them. They are a bit hungry so I always check my lipos after an hour on the DLG (360mAh) and change then. But on the slopers with bigger lipos they can fly for pretty long...
Fluffracka is offline Find More Posts by Fluffracka
Old May 01, 2012, 10:05 AM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
I run both the orange ones and the FRsky versions - I've just had my first one play up when it all of a sudden stopped working more than 10m away. Don't know if it was a problem with the aerial connection or just a bad one, but it was over 12 months old and i'm sure that was one that had a short swim in salt water.

Every other experience has been perfect - 150+ mph DS, punch outs that specced out a 60" glider and never had a problem until last week. I wouldn't be concerned about using them. In fact i'd happily install one in a $1000+ glider.
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old May 01, 2012, 06:20 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,793 Posts
I've been using one in my scratch built ALES eSupra for a couple months now. I'll report back if I ever have an issue. I just put another one in a DLG and a Trex 450, so far so good!

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 06:37 PM
Aerobatics!
United States, CA, Big Bear Lake
Joined Nov 2007
2,494 Posts
Are there any small 6 channel receivers compatible with FrSky (Turnigy) radios?
JGAF is offline Find More Posts by JGAF
Old May 01, 2012, 08:02 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitter View Post
Are there any small 6 channel receivers compatible with FrSky (Turnigy) radios?
Check out Alofthobbies.com I think he has quite a few, if not all FrSky stuff listed on his site.
Tom
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old May 02, 2012, 07:12 AM
United States, MI, Empire
Joined May 2011
77 Posts
I have been using Spektrum compatible Orange receivers on slopers for a year without a single glitch. I use a DX7 transmitter.

Using these inexpensive ($6) units really makes sense with EPP gliders because there's no need to "operate" on an old, but still serviceable, plane to harvest the receiver for your latest build. (It's never good to see an friend become an organ donor.)
bear_sloper is offline Find More Posts by bear_sloper
Old May 02, 2012, 07:56 AM
Costa Rica, San Jose, San Pedro
Joined Dec 2004
1,421 Posts
I've been using the Orange ones sold by HK for over a year in different models with no issues whatsoever.
I have them in little (450 size) helis, foamie jets, up to 3m gliders and one in a nitro heli too.
ferincr is offline Find More Posts by ferincr
Old May 02, 2012, 12:15 PM
RosscoPK
Aberdeen Scotland
Joined Jul 2009
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear_sloper View Post
I have been using Spektrum compatible Orange receivers on slopers for a year without a single glitch. I use a DX7 transmitter.

Using these inexpensive ($6) units really makes sense with EPP gliders because there's no need to "operate" on an old, but still serviceable, plane to harvest the receiver for your latest build. (It's never good to see an friend become an organ donor.)
Exactly my problem Mr bear sloper! I can't justify 70 worth of 7ch Rx to operate a 40 2ch foamy once a year.

I've taken on board the very positive feedback, thanks for the replies, and bought a 7ch and another 7ch digital servo specific FRsky pair for a 60" mouldie and a Miraj respectively. 30 delivered all in, less than half the price of 1 Futaba. I hate being bent over by a manufacturer because I've decided to stay loyal and buy their Tx.
Old May 03, 2012, 02:14 PM
RosscoPK
Aberdeen Scotland
Joined Jul 2009
204 Posts
hmmmm?

FrSky V8R7SP Rx & V8R7 rx's received. Problem - I can't get them to bind?!!? Am I doing something very daft here?

-Turn on Tx (Futaba T8FG)
-Hold F/S button on Rx
-Now apply power to Rx, Red/Grn leds both illuminate.
-Red light should go off and green should stay solid. But that doesn't happen, both red/grn leds stay on. Both the RX units behave the same way so stupidity must be present.

Have I missed the point completely and need a Tx hack mod to go in the T8FG to suit these little no-worky monkeys?
Old May 03, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosscopk View Post
FrSky V8R7SP Rx & V8R7 rx's received. Problem - I can't get them to bind?!!? Am I doing something very daft here?

-Turn on Tx (Futaba T8FG)
-Hold F/S button on Rx
-Now apply power to Rx, Red/Grn leds both illuminate.
-Red light should go off and green should stay solid. But that doesn't happen, both red/grn leds stay on. Both the RX units behave the same way so stupidity must be present.

Have I missed the point completely and need a Tx hack mod to go in the T8FG to suit these little no-worky monkeys?
The FrSky V8 are not FASST compatible. You should have bought any of the following:
http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...ompatible.html

The FrSky V8 you bought would require the DHT or DHT-U to be wired into your transmitter. A valid option, but probably not what you were looking for.
DHT:
http://www.alofthobbies.com/diy-telemetry-module.html

Hope this helps..

-Wayne

p.s. We ship to Scotland.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor