HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2012, 04:17 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
This for you George.........

SUPER SOAKER CPS 2500 Aquatic Weapon Water Blaster Rifle Demonstration (1 min 3 sec)
mogogear is offline Find More Posts by mogogear
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 06:01 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogogear View Post
This for you George.........

http://youtu.be/32iYz4MSPUs
Thanks Mo , now I know and I shall pass on having one, at present in Scotland if you were soaked with this you would freeze to death.

Duncan,
Better not go down the road of DUKE of ARGYLLS else we get accused of going off topic.

OOYAH is the name of my flash steamer and is derived from the shout that one gives on touching very high temperature steam pipes.
I wanted to call the boat OOYAAH/B !!! but was told in no uncertain manner by S.H.M.B.O that it was not on.

George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Old May 04, 2012, 09:50 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
all who wander off topic are not lost...
Old May 04, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Reply to George

Other than making the engine more complicated with servo-operated drain valves, are there any other issues with doing it my way? The heavy paddlewheel precludes rapidly switching the reversing gear as this could stress everything too much. I appreciate the posts and pictures.

Mike
hookpilot is offline Find More Posts by hookpilot
Old May 05, 2012, 04:42 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookpilot View Post
Other than making the engine more complicated with servo-operated drain valves, are there any other issues with doing it my way? The heavy paddlewheel precludes rapidly switching the reversing gear as this could stress everything too much. I appreciate the posts and pictures.

Mike
Mike,
Don't know if I explained the reversing valve properly,
It will not cause a surge to the engine and put any stress on the paddle wheel.
If you think about the servo being in mid position with a 45deg swing both ways and when in the mid position the steam is cut off.
Move the servo to the left and as it moves it opens a hole which controls the engine speed until you have full power ahead.
Bring it back to the mid position and the steam is cut off, move it to the right and you have the same control over the engine speed, in both cases it's progressive.

As I have already said your engine being a piston valve you switch the steam from the inlet over to the exhaust and with the 2- cylinders as long as the crank is set at 90 deg to each other the engines will self start and reverse.

In my previous post the Saito Single cylinder engine must not be stopped ,so as you whip the valve over in 95% 0f the time it will reverse the engine as long as it doesn't stop. this method would put a great strain on the paddle wheel

I don't know what " your way" is so how do you propose to stop start and reverse the engine, from your pics it looks as tho' there is a curved quadrant similar to Stevenson link reverse which will have the drag links to pull the eccentrics over to reverse.

How does the full size engine work ?

George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Last edited by ooyah; May 08, 2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old May 07, 2012, 08:28 AM
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucharest
Joined Mar 2008
483 Posts
I had the problem of the burner not getting enough air to burn properly on my small steam tug. The windows are all glazed.
I have added a very small fan to a purpose-made brass front hatch, and it solved the problem. Here is a pic (it is somewhat hard to see because the hatch casts a shadow, but it's there):

20090221_125 by -kno3-, on Flickr
The hatch has to stay open when the plant is running.
-kno3- is offline Find More Posts by -kno3-
Old May 07, 2012, 01:15 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Still such a nice tug Calin!!
Old May 07, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Circ Fan

Great job hiding a functional fan on your steam tug. I'll be installing a fan behind a door window located on the bow work deck. This should take care of airflow inside the boiler room.

Thanks,
Mike in Edmonds
Old May 09, 2012, 12:37 AM
USA, Mt, Great Falls
Joined Nov 2006
417 Posts
I am having to resort to placing a fan in my Clyde puffer because of the burner starving as well. I just got a brushless small pc fan and run it at low rpm's
Deserteagle is offline Find More Posts by Deserteagle
Old May 13, 2012, 01:29 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Cooling Fan

I picked up a small 12VDC CPU cooling fan, 40mm x 40mm. I'm ready to install it behind one of the boiler room door windows up forward. That should take care of airflow to keep the boiler burner working. If need be, I can install a second fan in the other door window up forward. There are two of them. I'll leave the two aft engine room doors open for exhaust.

Mike
Old May 14, 2012, 04:40 AM
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucharest
Joined Mar 2008
483 Posts
That should work.
-kno3- is offline Find More Posts by -kno3-
Old May 17, 2012, 02:43 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Preston Steam Engine Build

See my new post on Scale Model Boats, 1/32nd Preston Build Log. At long last, the steam engine for Preston has started construction.

Mike in Edmonds