HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:20 PM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,842 Posts
Question
how much overlap do you use with lam film??

for max strength for a chevron wing /\ that I plan to fly hard..

thanks,
Gary
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:42 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,415 Posts
~1/4"

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 01, 2012, 11:09 AM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,200 Posts
I like to lay a piece of film large enough to cover the entire top and bottom. As most planes tend to need more nose weight, and more protection along the leading edge, and I find the more overlap the more torsional rigidity is produced, I overlap a LOT in the center section and along the leading edge. Along the trailing edge a 1/4" is fine. Remember to start ironing from the center and use your wing beds... also overlap such that you don't have the top piece of film wrapping around the bottom on the TE because repeated landings will start to peel back that lip. I ironed the top first, then the bottom.

On my last 48" wing I used the standard width 5 mil NS with a strip that went the entire length of the wing for both top and bottom, butted at the TE so that most of the overlap was along the LE.

Incisions around the nose (in the film) will help the film contour to the compound curves too.
macinr is online now Find More Posts by macinr
Old May 01, 2012, 12:57 PM
chronic in training
Joined Nov 2008
1,842 Posts
macin.. did you do your 60" danwing with a single piece top and bottom?
Old May 01, 2012, 01:47 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,200 Posts
for my 60" danwing i used 4 main pieces, always butted them to have 1/2" or so of overlap against the TE. careful about too much tip weight as the tips are behind the CG. the center section of the wing and leading edges had 2 layers of NS and the overlap would taper off as it got towards the tips. i also layed 3M 983 (single direction) tape end-to-end across the entire wing top & bottom.

i also cut out a 8" or so long 1/2" deep slot right along the CG on the bottom and inserted a 1/2" copper tube filled with various lead ballast. to remove i just peel off a single strip of strapping tape. i've lost far too many pieces of lead by taping them to the outside.

enjoy my MS paint drawing....
macinr is online now Find More Posts by macinr
Old May 01, 2012, 04:47 PM
chronic in training
Joined Nov 2008
1,842 Posts
Macin your drawing rocks!! never thought of doing that before. Looks strong enough to DS for me. I have a bluto plank I might add a ballast tube to but I hear the scouts will DS stock up to about 120 or so. We will see.. what is the most ballast your 60" danwing ever flew with? what did it's AUW end up to be?

thanks,
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by macinr View Post
for my 60" danwing i used 4 main pieces, always butted them to have 1/2" or so of overlap against the TE. careful about too much tip weight as the tips are behind the CG. the center section of the wing and leading edges had 2 layers of NS and the overlap would taper off as it got towards the tips. i also layed 3M 983 (single direction) tape end-to-end across the entire wing top & bottom.

i also cut out a 8" or so long 1/2" deep slot right along the CG on the bottom and inserted a 1/2" copper tube filled with various lead ballast. to remove i just peel off a single strip of strapping tape. i've lost far too many pieces of lead by taping them to the outside.

enjoy my MS paint drawing....