Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:17 PM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,843 Posts
Question
maximizing Lam film application

What is a preferred method. I will be covering a standard 60" chevron /\
wing. Assuming 4 halves top and bottom.. how much overlap have you guys used.. this is for a scout bee which will be DS'd.

thx,

Gary
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:31 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,683 Posts
Assuming you have a proper spar and bias tape, you can get away with no overlap. If you didn't bias tape, maybe overlap 1" minimum.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old May 01, 2012, 09:59 AM
Can you DS it??
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
Is the scout bee a constant airfoil from root to tip? If so, it might be easier to do one full piece on the bottom, and another on top.

On all my chevron wings, and on all my JW's, I use that method. I also use NO TAPE. The leading edge of the bottom piece comes up to the point of the leading edge where it is cut off, then the top sheet overlaps over the front by 1/2". Any longer and it gets painful to try to get straight. I leave 2 or 3" hanging over the front on the top sheet and pull it around the leading edge, trying to get it as straight as possible. I iron down the first 1/4" or so on the underside, then cut it off 1/2" from the leading edge. I've never had any laminating film come away from the 1/2" overlap, and never felt the need for any tape, even if I have the standard spars in say a JW60. I do, however have a carbon trailing edge spar, and the laminating film is just cut off without any wrapping. The carbon trailing edge spar is visible after I've laminated the whole wing. The only thing wrapping over it is the coloured covering film I use at the end.
spotterone is offline Find More Posts by spotterone
Old May 01, 2012, 11:57 AM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotterone View Post
Is the scout bee a constant airfoil from root to tip? If so, it might be easier to do one full piece on the bottom, and another on top.

On all my chevron wings, and on all my JW's, I use that method. I also use NO TAPE. The leading edge of the bottom piece comes up to the point of the leading edge where it is cut off, then the top sheet overlaps over the front by 1/2". Any longer and it gets painful to try to get straight. I leave 2 or 3" hanging over the front on the top sheet and pull it around the leading edge, trying to get it as straight as possible. I iron down the first 1/4" or so on the underside, then cut it off 1/2" from the leading edge. I've never had any laminating film come away from the 1/2" overlap, and never felt the need for any tape, even if I have the standard spars in say a JW60. I do, however have a carbon trailing edge spar, and the laminating film is just cut off without any wrapping. The carbon trailing edge spar is visible after I've laminated the whole wing. The only thing wrapping over it is the coloured covering film I use at the end.
Do you apply a 'breather' layer of tissue over the lamfilm before applying the coloured oracover/whatever film?
Or have you been able to apply the final cover directly to the lamfilm without any bubbling ocurring?
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old May 01, 2012, 12:56 PM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,843 Posts
single vs double piece of film?

scout bee has great spar system already in place..so tape will not be needed.

problem with single piece per side is the sweep ( /\ ) is just about 2 feet so I would have to get at 24" wide roll of lam film.

how much strength do you think is lost if film is overlapped instead?
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
Old May 01, 2012, 05:44 PM
Can you DS it??
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsman View Post
Do you apply a 'breather' layer of tissue over the lamfilm before applying the coloured oracover/whatever film?
Or have you been able to apply the final cover directly to the lamfilm without any bubbling ocurring?
No breather layers. I just rough up the lam film with 80 grit paper, spray 3M77 and lay the final cover down while it's still wet. I use my coverite iron set at 150 degrees C and tilt it a little so I'm kinda using the edge of the iron, and I push the bubbles out. If I do get bubbles stuck in the middle, I just pop them with a scalpel and iron it all down hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grfcon View Post
scout bee has great spar system already in place..so tape will not be needed.

problem with single piece per side is the sweep ( /\ ) is just about 2 feet so I would have to get at 24" wide roll of lam film.

how much strength do you think is lost if film is overlapped instead?
No need for a 24" wide roll, just turn the wing 90 degrees!

I don't think too much strength is lost, but it's another fail point in a highly stressed area so I avoid it where possible.
spotterone is offline Find More Posts by spotterone