SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:26 PM
manual flying apologist
Adidas4275's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Discussion
Need advice on quality motors for new build....

Okay guys I am a little stumped.....

I am building a OMGFly Hex
http://www.omgfly.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=381

to go with my RC-Carbon Y-6 (2814s HFpro board)


now it says 2208/2212/2216 motors. I am looking to spend $25-$50 per motor and I need something that will run on 4s 10-12" props and provide over 1000g of thrust in a 60g or lighter case

The 2814-10s are perfect for my larger lifting Y-6, but I need a lighter motor for this smaller hex that will still have the punch i need to lift a 4s4000mah + light gimbal and GoPro or GF2

So I am thinking I need around 7000-8000g of thrust for the whole rig, that gives me up to 3500g of AUW and keeping flight times good.


Any suggestion on 2212,2216 4s capable motors that are 40-70g or less and provide 1200-1400g of thrust on a 10-12" props for $30-50

I know I am damn specific, but thats what I am looking for

thanks guys, ill post my own research here as well

Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
http://www.omgfly.com/index.php?main...products_id=10

seems like decent motor that would probably work with 10" graupner prop on 4S. I believe they are about 80gm motor.

alternately, I believe tiger has some

http://www.clubheli.com/Tiger-Motors...KV_p_3580.html
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:42 PM
manual flying apologist
Adidas4275's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
hey thanks....

i am sure you know this and I am going to look like a complete an utter n00b

but...... how are the motor numbers correlated to power?

I have 2814s that are smaller than 2830s and the 2814s put out more thrust and are heavier than the 2830s.

I get the park nomenclature but the XXXX numbering keep baffling me

like i said i just embarrassed my self



oh and those T-motors liked to
http://www.clubheli.com/Tiger-Motors...KV_p_3580.html

say they are only good for 2s-3s but i like the low KV (larger props)
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:26 PM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I hate the number scheme, since they don't follow the standard. in general though I worry about is the weight of the motor and kv. weight has to do with ability to dissipate heat. (ability to handle power) kV has to do with rpm and prop size. (to an extent. we will get to this in a bit)


you are talking about 50-80gm motor. (which is the typical 2212-2218 sized) they have kv ranging from 750-1400 depending on wind (thicker wire /lower turn means higher kv and thinner wire/higher turn means lower kv) in general though, each size motor has sweet spot and for this class motor, it is about 1000kv. you will find that there is a trade off between Io and Rm as you change turns. This affects the efficiency of the motor.

In general, lower kv means higher torque and visa versa, but there is physical limit. thinner wire means it can only carry limited current. I don't worry about voltage, but I do worry about current. this really limit you in prop size or voltage. (why they say 2-3S)

anyway, there is no free lunch and lot of tradeoff. if you want higher torque, you need mechanical advantage that comes with larger diameter can. if you want to limit the weight, you need to make it short. that is why pancake motors are the best choice for us. taller can also give more torque, but not as good as larger diameter. but it is tougher to make pancake. so price goes up. if you want to run 10-11" prop, it is not easy to do with small motor. why prop selection gets important.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:38 PM
manual flying apologist
Adidas4275's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Yeah apparently I want my cake and I want to eat the whole thing.

Thanks for the description.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:39 PM
Always Excel >>>
BenHayat's Avatar
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
I hate the number scheme, since they don't follow the standard. in general though I worry about is the weight of the motor and kv. weight has to do with ability to dissipate heat. (ability to handle power) kV has to do with rpm and prop size. (to an extent. we will get to this in a bit)


you are talking about 50-80gm motor. (which is the typical 2212-2218 sized) they have kv ranging from 750-1400 depending on wind (thicker wire /lower turn means higher kv and thinner wire/higher turn means lower kv) in general though, each size motor has sweet spot and for this class motor, it is about 1000kv. you will find that there is a trade off between Io and Rm as you change turns. This affects the efficiency of the motor.

In general, lower kv means higher torque and visa versa, but there is physical limit. thinner wire means it can only carry limited current. I don't worry about voltage, but I do worry about current. this really limit you in prop size or voltage. (why they say 2-3S)

anyway, there is no free lunch and lot of tradeoff. if you want higher torque, you need mechanical advantage that comes with larger diameter can. if you want to limit the weight, you need to make it short. that is why pancake motors are the best choice for us. taller can also give more torque, but not as good as larger diameter. but it is tougher to make pancake. so price goes up. if you want to run 10-11" prop, it is not easy to do with small motor. why prop selection gets important.
Nice!!!
BenHayat is offline Find More Posts by BenHayat
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:40 PM
Always Excel >>>
BenHayat's Avatar
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
Yeah apparently I want my cake and I want to eat the whole thing.

Thanks for the description.
Or do you mean the "Pancake"? :-)
BenHayat is offline Find More Posts by BenHayat
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:38 PM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
>>I have 2814s that are smaller than 2830s and the 2814s put out more thrust and are heavier than the 2830s.<<

The best thing to do is to look at the drawings if they are available. Some vendor describe 2830 as the outer dimension and some as the inner dimension. Typically the 2814 is an inner dimension. So 2216 is also an inner dimension.

For example the Axi motors all use inner dimension. So their 2814 should be the same size as the Avroto 2814 and the SunnySky 2814.

Pretty confusing huh!

So you really need some 2216 with around 700 kV to use 4 cells. I wouldn't swing an 11" or 12" prop with them though. If your 2814's are swinging 11" or 12" props at 4 cells how can you expect a smaller motor to do the same thing? Unless you can find a 2216 that has 600kV.

Here is a pretty good 2216 but you need to use 9" or 10" props max:

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=270

Your other option is to use those pancake motors like these:

http://www.clubheli.com/Tiger-Motors...KV_p_3583.html
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Last edited by SeismicCWave; Apr 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:42 PM
manual flying apologist
Adidas4275's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
yeah, my turnigy 2830s are perfect for 4s and the are the right weight the thrust...
just looking for something similar with a little higher quality windings and bearings

so ill do some research and figure out which inside measurement motors are similar for 4s
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 12:26 AM
manual flying apologist
Adidas4275's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
okay, i just ordered some
Sunnysky 2216-11 KV800 motors and will run them on 4s with 10" props it will be better in the wind with 10" rather than 11" anyways

thanks guys..... stupid motor numbers
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 09:39 AM
Registered User
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,671 Posts
See you ordered some already but tigermotors makes several 2830 in different kv they just call them 2212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
yeah, my turnigy 2830s are perfect for 4s and the are the right weight the thrust...
just looking for something similar with a little higher quality windings and bearings

so ill do some research and figure out which inside measurement motors are similar for 4s
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Need a new platform. Advice on zepher build? slowjett FPV Talk 3 Apr 02, 2012 02:34 AM
Discussion Need advice on gears for modified Stampede Augy_IA Off-road Cars 0 Mar 25, 2012 09:11 AM
Discussion Advice needed for first quadrotor building lotus_cb Multirotor Talk 7 Mar 18, 2012 09:33 PM
Question Need advice on new quad frame, to replace x525!!! Arxangel Multirotor Talk 3 Mar 01, 2012 05:29 PM
Help! First Build - Need advice on electronics and motor NewarkAndy Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 5 Jan 20, 2012 02:12 AM