HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 03:55 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
Well, you caught some great lift there! Look how steep that climb is in the thermal.
No kidding...what a boomer!
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 12:52 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
HI there,

I just landed after enjoying this flight on the Grafas I maidened only on Friday:

Name: Glen Peden - "gpeden"
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Grafas 3.1M
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: May 29, 10:20 am
Duration of flight: 1:12:22

As I was getting the glider ready, the boys were pointing at "my friends", a group of eagles circling overhead, so of course I set out to join them A 25 second motor run got me to their height and we stayed together for 5 -10 minutes or so. Not too much effort was needed to wander around and stay in lift while chatting with people.

Cheers!
Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old May 29, 2012, 01:31 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!
United States, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Sep 2011
240 Posts
Fly With The Eagles

Hey Glen,

Awesome Flight. I love flying with the big birds. They make life (and lift finding) very easy.

As I'm writing this the National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch for my area of Western Massachusetts. I'll bet I could find some good lift outside right now if I knew where to look. I probably would never see my plane again either.

Again, Nice Flight......

Paul M.
Paulbilbo91z9f is offline Find More Posts by Paulbilbo91z9f
Old May 29, 2012, 04:02 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
Well, you caught some great lift there! Look how steep that climb is in the thermal.
Went back and looked at that up track line, 300 fpm average with 385 fpm at max.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 04:34 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
Hi Paul,

Thanks... Just for emphasis the next flight was 55 minutes Funny how I was not finding much lift during the gorgeous weekend of the fun fly here, but now that the weather has turned to clouds and rain it's working out OK

Cheers!
Glen
Old May 29, 2012, 05:28 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Great time Glen.
Puts you on top of the open class!
Old May 30, 2012, 01:22 AM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
Hi Mr Sticks - thanks! Gotta hold on for two days now I don't get to try this too often because I normally do "slermaling" at home. Sometimes there's some really nice thermal days here at the Fraser Valley RC flers club where I come for a fun fly twice a year.
Cheers!
Glen
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:41 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Gonna have to get myself a dlg one of these days. Sounds like a lot of fun. Even more trouble free than electrics.
Do it you wont regret it, I've not touched my other planes/gliders since I got my blaster, the main thing with them is getting them set up right which I am struggling to do with a dx6i and cheap nasty servos already installed when I bought it but even so its enormous fun as it is.
The rx battery lasts about 1 1/2 hours and takes about that to charge up but a lipo could be used with a reg for better charge/flight times.
It's amazing how quicky an hour and a half goes by with the blaster compared to a powered glider and I get exercise at the same time, my mate has just ordered one after watching mine and he has only just bought a eflight hurricaine and built it but not even flown it yet but has put it on ebay cause he loves his dlg elf so much, he used to bored after 20 mins max but now stays down for 2 hours at a time only going home when his batts are low!
Just really need some decent weather as its raining and windy again as usual now lol.
Thanks for this thread and hope to see dlg class for june.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:39 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Congratulations to all of the May winners.
Thanks for participating.

The June contest is now set up.....and it now includes a hand launch class!

Hope you can all come and "pass a good time" as we say in Cajun country.

The June Big Sky International Sailplane Contest for all Electric and Hand Launch Gliders