SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 08, 2012, 10:54 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
We really haven't done any serious sloping lately. The rock quarry where we used to slope just isn't convenient and it is private property. The sloping we did over on the farm for those videos was just a super windy day and I'd call it psuedo-sloping with lots of power assist. Still fun.

I actually took my Radian Pro over on the farm a month or so ago when the wind was nice and strong out of the south with the intention of logging a slope time for the contest. I wasn't able to get much more than a minute or two without power, so I didn't bother and gave up after several attempts.

One day...
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 11:09 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
The only slope we have here is the levee, and most of it is blocked with trees that create turbulence.

One day I'll lug the plane along for a road trip to Arkansas or something. It looks like great fun. I'm surprised we don't get many slope entries.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old May 08, 2012, 04:14 PM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,071 Posts
Glider name: Radian
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: May 8, 2012 2:00pm
Duration of flight: 12:55 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 1071ft AGL
Weather Conditions: 61 degrees, partly cloudy, winds West @ 7 mph gusting to 14 mph

I managed to get in a few flights in between rain fronts I had a nice one going when a cloud blocked the sun shutting of all lift.
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old May 08, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,524 Posts
I have tried some slope soaring here in Vermont, with my Ascent 450BL. It is a bit of a pig, heavy with the big outrunner motor, so not much success.

Interesting to compare Andy's sink rate when he loses a thermal, to the 57 FPM or so I get with the 3 meter Pulsar. It looks like the Radian pro has twice the sink rate of the Pulsar I fly. What sort of calm-air minimum sink rates can you get with a Radian?

Andy sure can find some strong thermals, though to carry his Radian Pro up high!
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; May 08, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old May 08, 2012, 07:38 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
What you're seeing is me bailing on the thermal and bringing it down in a hurry so I can see it again. Wait until I post the plot from the LMR contest at SEFF. I brought it down at about 2100 ft/min!

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,524 Posts
Now here is a dive rate! Fuse actually pressurizes a bit, notice bump at bottom of dive, with air forced in cooling holes on motor mount. Of course this airframe has a very strong, carbon one piece wing.
I don't know how you can dive a Radian at those speeds.
Old May 09, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,071 Posts
Glider name: Radian
Date and Time of flight: May 9, 2012 1:00pm
Duration of flight: 1:08:24 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 2151 feet
Weather Conditions: Perfect: 63 degrees, wind E @ 6 mph, blue sky with scattered Cumulus clouds.

This is a personal best for me and the Radian! It was one of those rare perfect flying days here in MN.
I spiraled down multiple times to keep it in sight and kept finding new lift for another ride up.

320pilot: I love the looks of your Flash – must be loads of fun doing fast, power off low flybys
Last edited by blunight; May 09, 2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Adjusted time
Old May 09, 2012, 04:25 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
Now THAT's a good flight right there! Way to go Blu! An hour is a long time to be looking up like that, isn't it?

BTW, I'll pass along some info on your RAM. You can't trust the time data on it. Last year on my 2hr flight, there was a noticeable difference in my transmitter timer and the time reported in the RAM data. I talked to Randy about it, and he said the timer in the RAM is good to 1% accuracy per second or something like that. Take that to a two hour flight, and you're talking considerable time error. Randy told me he'd trust the timer on the transmitter over the RAM. I use my transmitter timer for posting my flights for the contest.

Don't take that the wrong way...I'm not trying to take anything away from that awesome flight
time. Just giving you a heads-up.

I guess I better be getting out and trying to beat 1:10 now...everybody's gotta have a goal, right?

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,071 Posts
Andy,
Great info - thanks! I thought I may just have set my radio timer late and took the RAM's time over my radio's.

I've adjusted my flight time accordingly

It was pretty relaxing, I brought a beach chair and flew the entire flight sitting on my butt.

The only time it got a little nerve wracking was when the clouds cleared out and the Radian disappeared...
Old May 09, 2012, 05:49 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
The only time it got a little nerve wracking was when the clouds cleared out and the Radian disappeared...
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt! I know the feeling very well.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,524 Posts
320 pilot
Glider:Pulsar 3.2 Meter REF
Open Class
Date and Time of flight:May 9, 4:30pm
Duration of flight: 39:11 (after 15 sec motor run)

Cloudy, hazy sky , but I caught a big thermal. Pulsar got so high (max altitude 3070 AGL) I threw out 1/2 flap to dive it down a bit. After that it went up in the same thermal again I dove again with 1/2 flap but must have dropped below the thermal; couldn't catch it a third time.

This could easily have been a much longer flight, but I didn't want to lose a sailplane. It got very small above 3000'. When I dove it towards me, wings disappeared, which is why I used 1/2 flap; no danger of overspeed.

In this thermal, it was climbing at 266 FPM. This is a record time, and altitude for me by the way.
Old May 09, 2012, 05:55 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
Now THAT's a good flight right there! Way to go Blu! An hour is a long time to be looking up like that, isn't it?

BTW, I'll pass along some info on your RAM. You can't trust the time data on it. Last year on my 2hr flight, there was a noticeable difference in my transmitter timer and the time reported in the RAM data. I talked to Randy about it, and he said the timer in the RAM is good to 1% accuracy per second or something like that. Take that to a two hour flight, and you're talking considerable time error. Randy told me he'd trust the timer on the transmitter over the RAM. I use my transmitter timer for posting my flights for the contest.

Don't take that the wrong way...I'm not trying to take anything away from that awesome flight
time. Just giving you a heads-up.

I guess I better be getting out and trying to beat 1:10 now...everybody's gotta have a goal, right?

Andy
That's one reason I prefer my GPS logger. The time clock is spot on. Particularly useful when synching video to gps data with Dashware. It's not quite as accurate for altitude, but plenty close for me. The stats say within 5 meters altitude, but I really think it's less than that if you leave it stationary for about 5 minutes prior to flying.
Old May 09, 2012, 05:57 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
Hey, 320...welcome to the 3000+ club! Now try it with a Radian!

Nice flight there for sure!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2012, 05:58 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
BTW, I'm loving all these RAM plots!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2012, 06:01 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
320 pilot
Glider:Pulsar 3.2 Meter REF
Open Class
Date and Time of flight:May 9, 4:30pm
Duration of flight: 39:11 (after 15 sec motor run)

Cloudy, hazy sky , but I caught a big thermal. Pulsar got so high (max altitude 3070 AGL) I threw out 1/2 flap to dive it down a bit. After that it went up in the same thermal again I dove again with 1/2 flap but must have dropped below the thermal; couldn't catch it a third time.

This could easily have been a much longer flight, but I didn't want to lose a sailplane. It got very small above 3000'. When I dove it towards me, wings disappeared, which is why I used 1/2 flap; no danger of overspeed.

In this thermal, it was climbing at 266 FPM. This is a record time, and altitude for me by the way.
Wow....things are sure heating up.....must be those solar flares!

Congratulations on that personal best!

Good looking plots fellas! I'm lovin them too. Great gadgets we have these days.