Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:52 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
You are right. I should have written that the radio is optimized for helicopter but features airplane mode as well.
This is still incorrect, the 8J features programming for both heli and plane, and the transmitter is available in either configuration. It is certainly not just a heli radio with a bit of airplane programming thrown in.

Quote:
But if you want to make full use of a glider like the Radian Pro, you might want to get a radio that has flight modes (conditions) in AIR as well (like the Futaba 8FG).
You are correct that the 8J does not have flight conditions like the 8FG, however you can assign your dual rates in such a manner as to get the same effect. i.e. all of your rates on a single switch. You can also set your mixes to the same switch if you want to use them in a flight "condition" too.

Quote:
Would be nice Futaba could add this feature in AIR as well. But I am not sure if the 8J has sufficient range for full house glider like a large full composite model.
I have flown the Dirty Birdy as far away from me as I can see it, and had absolutely no problem with range. This with the receiver in the middle of a fiberglass fuselage. Range is not an issue.

Remember, you're paying twice the price for the 8FGS, so of course there will be additional features that the 8J doesn't have.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CSpaced; Jun 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:01 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
a few questions:

-What is the difference between the 2.4ghz spec this radio uses, and the the one used on the higher end models?
S-FHSS is Futaba's entry level protocol used on it's new sport radios. I've read on the interwebs that the S-FHSS protocol uses a single chip, where as FAST uses two chips, thus making S-FHSS cheaper to manufacture. (But don't quote me on that). I'm sure others will chip in on this question.

Quote:
-Can a helicopter spec radio be programmed to default to Airplane models?
Short answer, no. If you have the helicopter specific version of the 8J, new models will always default to heli, just as the airplane version will always default to airplane. It's really not a big deal though, takes two seconds to change the model type.

Quote:
-Does the radio support Lipo batteries (ie Low Voltage notification)?
Again, no. The only options you have for low voltage alarm are the stock 4 cell "AA" configuration and 5 cell. (for use with the aftermarket nimh pack)

Quote:
-Is the nav via a joystick and Jog dial, or just joystick? You use both terms in the review...
It's a 5 way joystick.

Quote:
-Is model memory expandable via SD card?
No, there is no memory card slot on the 8J.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
160 Posts
nice radio, nice review.
Mattacks is offline Find More Posts by Mattacks
Last edited by Mattacks; Jun 30, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:01 AM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
I've read on the interwebs that the S-FHSS protocol uses a single chip, where as FAST uses two chips.
S-FHSS is like chinese clone receivers but Futaba came out this protocol because they are tired of the huge chinese market.

Quote:
Again, no. The only options you have for low voltage alarm are the stock 4 cell "AA" configuration and 5 cell.
Why not a LiFePO 6.6V ? what's the voltage which the radio beeps ?

Quote:
You are correct, frame rate is not latency. Frame rate is how quickly the receiver sends updates to the servos.
Spektrum Dx7 VS Dx7SE Response Test (1 min 8 sec)
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:18 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
Why not a LiFePO 6.6V ? what's the voltage which the radio beeps ?
As soon as I run the batteries down, I'll let you know. The menu option doesn't specify voltage, just 4 or 5 cell configuration.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:44 PM
UK
Joined Jun 2008
18 Posts
The 8J Manual gives the FT2F2100B LIFE Battery as an optional battery but says it has to be removed from the transmitter for charging with the corresponding Futaba charger.

My Ripmax UK supplied 8J came with a 4 cell rechargeable NIMH pack installed and with a corresponding charger.
angelotti is offline Find More Posts by angelotti
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:22 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
looks to me like a decent radio ... BUT the lack of conditions in Airplane mode, the software limitations and the lack of memory card slot all smack of cynical productuct placement within a hierarchy... adding these simple features would cost next to nothing

and bringing out a radio today with no telemetry and no telemetry capacity going forward is a bit shortsighted... it makes your next radio purchase all the more likely
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:57 AM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird View Post
BUT the lack of conditions in Airplane mode, the software limitations and the lack of memory card slot all smack of cynical productuct placement within a hierarchy... adding these simple features would cost next to nothing
I agree, about the airplane flight modes you have to buy an high end class radio over 1000 bucks like the 12FG and up.
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:14 PM
United States, SC, Clemson
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Forgive me I am an ignorant sport flyer still on 72 MHz. What is all this talk about flight modes and flight conditions? What is so special about these features?
redradar is offline Find More Posts by redradar
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,043 Posts
Some useful information about Flight Modes / Conditions can be found here:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ro-pnp-PKZ5475
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:36 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntboyX View Post
Forgive me I am an ignorant sport flyer still on 72 MHz. What is all this talk about flight modes and flight conditions? What is so special about these features?
Flight conditions/modes is a way of combining dual rates for aileron, elevator, and rudder, on to a single switch. You can also assign mixes to a flight mode. Basically with the flick of a single switch you can go from a low rate sport "mode" or "condition" to a high rate 3D mode/condition.

However, this feature would be redundant on the 8J, as you can do the same thing by assigning all your dual rates to a single switch, as well as mixes, plus you can use any switch you want.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,040 Posts
I don't think even the expensive Futaba 8FG has Flight Modes for Acro (Airplane) set-up.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:56 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
I don't think even the expensive Futaba 8FG has Flight Modes for Acro (Airplane) set-up.
You're correct, on the 8FG it's only available in heli and sailplane mode. With an airplane, you assign dual rates in a similar fashion to the 8J.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,040 Posts
Would the Futaba 8J be a better buy than the old school Futaba 7C (FASST) for park flying?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:52 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Would the Futaba 8J be a better buy than the old school Futaba 7C (FASST) for park flying?
Either one would be fine for park flying, but if I had to pick one based on features alone the 8J would definitely win. The 8J has a better, bigger screen, more program mixes, more model memory, and more assignable rates, to name a few. Basically it has a little more of everything for the same price as the 7C (including one more channel).
RCG Plus Member