SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Please vote on this new forum suggestion.
Yes 86 76.79%
No 26 23.21%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 02, 2012, 07:15 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,666 Posts
I like the idea of Commercial Airliners. They can be either passenger carrying or Cargo hauling as in UPS/ FedEx. I think at a minimum they must be twin engine. Thinking of some of the iconic piston and turboprop birds of the 50's-60's that you don't see too often in the RC world. E.G. Vickers Viscount, Lockheed Connie, Convair 340/440's, DC-6,etc. And in the Jet age, the 707, Sud Caravelle, 727,L-1011,etc. Could have smaller, commuter liners like the CRJ's ERJ's Beech 1900

The rule being that they have to be at least a twin. When I look for twins, I mainly see the B-25 and the Mosquito warbirds.

My 2 cents...

Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 07:20 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
dont forget the an-2. single engine bi plane cargo and pretty much everny thing else.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old May 02, 2012, 09:11 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,839 Posts
This forum request is very confusing. Normally the forum is defined before the poll is put up yet there seems to be no consensus on what should or shouldn't be included.

"Description: This forum section is for scratch built airliners and kit airliner/cargo/troop carrier builds."

Is the intent scale aircraft only? There already is a scale forum, if that's the case maybe it should be a sub forum of scale to keep them all together. At a minimum the description should be changed to :

This forum section is for scratch built or kit airliner/cargo/troop carrier builds.

As written cargo and troop carriers would only be allowed if they're kit built.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old May 03, 2012, 12:30 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
it seems to me this website is a little loose on the definitions and what goes where. too much of that in real life.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old May 03, 2012, 08:28 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
15 no's!??...I'm all for voting your own way, but just in case, they now have a painless procedure to remove balsa sticks that have been accidentally sat on...
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Old May 03, 2012, 08:35 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
^^^lol
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old May 04, 2012, 02:10 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,436 Posts
I thought we already had this forum - only it's entitled 'Scale electric planes' - which since there is a 'Scale Warbirds' forum is presumed to includes everything else.

We also have a forum for Giant Scale airplanes for the big boys so there are already three major forums to check out for scale models and there is already a lot of crossover if (for example) someone is building a 100" DC3/C47.

Probably wouldn't put it in the 'Giant' category as it gets looked at by fewer of us but there's still a choice. Maybe the colour scheme will decide which it goes in.

I vote for less complication and less opportunity for pundits to hair-split over 'proper forum placings'!

As a designer I could perhaps be expected to want a forum devoted to model designers but then I would be posting in a nice cosy little nook where I would be 'preaching to the converted'. Seems to me that a wide readership is desirable so that there is cross-fertilisation of ideas and modellers are encouraged to widen their skills.
eye4wings is online now Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old May 04, 2012, 03:45 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,797 Posts
Well I can See one HUGE advantage of a RCG Airliner Forum, I'll be able to keep all my airliner builds in one place, Lol, I mainly post them in foamie scratch-built section, but I've thought of electric edf jets, scale, giant scale, but a real dedicated "airliner-passenger aircraft forum will put this family of RC aircraft under one roof, Again I clicked the YES button with pleasure!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 06:44 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Well I can See one HUGE advantage of a RCG Airliner Forum, I'll be able to keep all my airliner builds in one place, Lol, I mainly post them in foamie scratch-built section, but I've thought of electric edf jets, scale, giant scale, but a real dedicated "airliner-passenger aircraft forum will put this family of RC aircraft under one roof, Again I clicked the YES button with pleasure!
I'm with you Demon ! You're airliner builds are fantastic and the category should have it's own spot. Could include not just the EDF modern airliners but also the venerable airliners from the 40's, 50's, & 60's Cargo liners and Military transports could be included. It just would not be smaller fighters. Minimum entry would be a twin.
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Last edited by dahawk47; May 04, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old May 04, 2012, 09:51 AM
ich bauen gro▀ modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
I'm with you Demon ! You're airliner builds are fantastic and the category should have it's own spot. Could include not just the EDF modern airliners but also the venerable airliners from the 40's, 50's, & 60's Cargo liners and Miltary transports could be included. It just would not be smaller fighters. Minimum entry would be a twin.
Yes but minimum Size is twin engine'd with odd exception like the DHC Beaver which is used alot by small airlines and the Cesna 380B Cargo master Which Is used by Fedex!

Keenan
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old May 04, 2012, 11:13 AM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,436 Posts
Oh yes? So the rule makers are into 'odd exceptions' already?

I can name you a couple of dozen equivalents to the Beaver from their day - what about the Dornier Komet in service with Deutche Lufthansa or a range of Fokker types in service with the same airline. Then what about Lockheed Vega and Orion or Northrop Delta - or maybe the Vultee V-1? - and those are just a few from the '20s and '30s.

My next build is planned to be a DH Fox Moth... does that qualify? Too few seats perhaps?
Old May 04, 2012, 02:10 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Ca˝ada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,497 Posts
Yeah the minimum engine rule sounds too restrictive. Over half the planes I have built would not be allowed by such narrow interpretations. If you like multis good for you, but don't exclude the hundreds of single options out there. Just my .02
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old May 04, 2012, 02:51 PM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,436 Posts
Absolutely QB - but the 'ayes' have a dilemma - if single engined models are allowed then there is no difference between what is proposed as an additional forum and the present Scale Electric Models forum. The only real way to make a new forum work is to exclude single engined models so there is still a clear distinction. Then at least we will have a separation point that makes some kind of sense - even if it is still annoying to have to search yet another additional forum.
Old May 04, 2012, 03:19 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,843 Posts
the Forum is airliners

there were quite a few single engine airliners , and cargo planes
so number of motor's shouldn't be an issue .
if it work's for money / with a livery it would fit in this forum

EG: my cessna 421 has a livery on it and it carried passanger's
for hire - so it an airliner .
pulsery2k1 is offline Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old May 04, 2012, 03:20 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
^^^ exactly.
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE