SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2001, 12:25 PM
Tornado Alley
Joined Nov 2001
690 Posts
Good choice in radios for training kids

I have been away from the hobby for decade or so. I now have a couple of airplane kits and want to be able to have my young kids (and others) fly with me. I have seen the nice things that computer radios bring, most notably the model memory. This brings me to my question.
Do any of the radio's eliminate the need to trim the trainer radio? I want to be able to use the same radio's for several models. I may be making too much of the trimming issue, but I just want to make it as enjoyable as possible for the young ones, and keep the stress down for me.

I would love recommendations on a good radio for me, and what to use for a trainer. I had all Futaba before, and still have several servos, and other bits.

Oh, and the best part is I now live on 40 acres, and won't have to travel to a field!!

We also plan to go totally electric. The one thing I remember most was having to clean my planes after each session. Don't want that again!

Thank you!
40acrefield is offline Find More Posts by 40acrefield
Last edited by 40acrefield; Nov 06, 2001 at 07:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2001, 06:53 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,413 Posts
If you have futaba recievers than Hitec would be the way to go, there are a lot of good radios out there and all have there good and bad pionts, I personally prefer JR but JR won't work with the futaba RX and has less model memory than the Hitec but I have also read the Hitec can be a bit confusing on the programming end of it and the JR is much more simple but many will agree the Hitec flash 5 would be a great chioce but learning the radio will be a little extra time.

hope this helps
Dauntae
http://www.nesail.com/flash.html

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...p?Prod=JRP6219**
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Last edited by Dauntae; Nov 06, 2001 at 06:56 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2001, 08:05 PM
Tornado Alley
Joined Nov 2001
690 Posts
I don't actually have any air transmitters or receivers. I have a couple of trucks and use Futaba Magnums which is where the excess servos would come in. I sold all my old radios years ago, so I am starting fresh. I probably would not ever want to use any of the servos I have had in my trucks as they take a heck of a beating.

The thing I am most interested in is the trainer functions of different systems. I just read where the 8u futaba's have a feature where the trainer box seems to be no more than a pair of joysticks. It's a bit pricy, but not to worry about someone knocking the trim off during a flight would really be nice.

Does Hitec make anything similar to the Futaba 8u? Or anyone for that matter? Are there any good websites that might help (besides this excellent one)?

Thanks again!
40acrefield is offline Find More Posts by 40acrefield
Old Nov 06, 2001, 08:19 PM
Joined Apr 2001
120 Posts
I have a Hitec Flash 5, and my daughter has the Flash 4. I use a trainer cord, and away we go!
martin johnson is offline Find More Posts by martin johnson
Old Nov 06, 2001, 09:36 PM
MA
Joined Sep 2001
248 Posts
How old are your kids? I've contemplated teaching my 4 and 1/2 year old daughter how to fly, but the controller seems a little too big for her to control effectively with her small hands...
f2racer is offline Find More Posts by f2racer
Old Nov 07, 2001, 01:28 AM
T-52 over Seattle
Seattle
Joined Jun 2001
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 40acrefield
Does Hitec make anything similar to the Futaba 8u?
Yes. Hitec's new Eclipse 7 is a very good computer radio with a trainer port. The trainer port works with Hitec and Futaba radios. Take a look at the Eclipse at http://www.hitecrcd.com/Catalog/Air/radios/eclipse.htm

Silver
Silver is offline Find More Posts by Silver
Old Nov 07, 2001, 02:46 AM
Joined Apr 2001
120 Posts
How Old

My daughter is 7, and my son is 4. I have Great Planes Flight Simulator with the transmitter box. My daughter can fly without incident...so I bought her an electric glider. My son wants his own plane, but he has more fun crashing them on the simulator. I told him that when he can fly without crashing on the simulator, he can have his own plane. That seemed to work.
martin johnson is offline Find More Posts by martin johnson
Old Nov 07, 2001, 10:13 PM
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
40ACREFIELD: Check out the new T80RF systems and airborne packs at www.fmadirect.com Prices competitive with off-shore radios. Made in the US. More importantly, have a look at the new Copilot. Copilot can let you teach a kid to fly in just a few flights without crashes and with no need for a buddy box. Copilot is a new, precise flight stabilization system that saves its modest cost in elimination of crash losses. Weighs less than one ounce, so can be used in electrics. Landings are essentially automatic. With Copilot installed in an LMH 100 heli, the beginner pilot flew 30 flights in one weekend and moved on to a Raptor 30 the next weekend. Right now, a six year old is learning to fly helis with Copilot and not a crash. Copilot will save more than its cost in saved rotor blades!
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Old Nov 08, 2001, 03:16 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
314 Posts
I would have thought that being bath proof and surviving being slept with would have been the first priorities

hugh
Oneson1 is online now Find More Posts by Oneson1
Old Nov 08, 2001, 07:26 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
I have the hitec flash 5x and my son has the 4x. The programing isn't hard to learn but you have to read the book. The trainer cord function is also very handy. I have 2 boys and really enjoy flying with them. My oldest prefers a zagi 400x but my youngest likes his lite stik which is a very slow and steady flyer in calm winds.
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17