HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:10 AM
Edmonton
Joined Jun 2006
16 Posts
Discussion
JR XG8 software upgrade problem

Hi Guys

Just received my new XG8 radio last week and have to say I love it.

But when I went to update the software from ver 0005 to the new ver 0008 I turned the radio into an expensive paper weight. It will not turn on, at least the screen does not come on any more, the power light does turn on.

I followed the software update instructions, used an older SD card that I had been using in my 11X. But after turning the radio off (as per the instructions, last step) the screen just froze on "updating software"
This last step should take no more than a minute, but after more than an hour the screen had not changed. Only solution was to remove battery (which they say not to do) to power off the radio.

Anyone know how to breath life back into the radio, without sending back to JR?

Thanks

Simon
mrbean88 is offline Find More Posts by mrbean88
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:40 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,966 Posts
I believe you should have upgraded step by step ie from 005 to 006, then to 007 and finally to 008.

Has to go back I'm afraid.
theaton56 is offline Find More Posts by theaton56
Old May 06, 2012, 08:58 PM
Canterbury, New Zealand.
Joined Feb 2011
34 Posts
That is interesting as I have a new XG8 which I haven't started using yet. I don't think I will touch the software until we see the outcome to your problem Simon. Can you let us know what happens ? I too love my XG8 so I hope it's a not too serious problem.
AndrewNZL is offline Find More Posts by AndrewNZL
Old May 07, 2012, 04:18 AM
Canterbury, New Zealand.
Joined Feb 2011
34 Posts
Thought I would check the version of the firmware on my XG8.
It is version 0001 - 0000.
Now obviously the second number is the update so my TX has the original firmware with no updates.
Does anyone know what the first number is ?
Now how do I get to version 0001 - 0008 ?
If I have to upgrade step by step as you say theaton56, where do I find all the updates as only the last 3 are on the JR download page ?
Andrew
Old May 07, 2012, 02:14 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,966 Posts
Start at the 1st update that is available then progress to the next one.

That's how I did the one I was given to update
theaton56 is offline Find More Posts by theaton56
Old May 07, 2012, 09:41 PM
Canterbury, New Zealand.
Joined Feb 2011
34 Posts
Thanks theaton56.

I found the pdf file that came with the 0001 - 0006 and 0001 - 0007 updates that does explain it a bit.
It looks like the firmware changed dramatically at version 0001 - 0006.
I looked at the unzipped file sizes for each of the updates and they are exactly the same at 1015 Kb. This makes me think that maybe you can just install 0001 - 0008 and be fully up to date. I would have thought that the changes made would be more than 1 Kb each time but maybe not.
Anyway I'm not going to risk it so will probably follow what you did. Still want to see the outcome to Simons problem.

Have another question : On page 13 of the Guide For Software Update it says in a red box that you have to unplug and remove the battery before installing or removing the SD care. Is that for real as the YouTube video does not show that being done ?
Last edited by AndrewNZL; May 07, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old May 07, 2012, 10:57 PM
Edmonton
Joined Jun 2006
16 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the replies.

I still do not have an answer, waiting on JR Japan getting back to RC711 on a solution. Not holding my breath, I'm sure I'll have to return it to have a new firmware flashed into the unit.

Before I did the update, I did read a few posts on the internet that it was not necessary to update in sequence. ie you could go directly from 005 to 008.
Also note that all the screens show exactly as they should, even the last screen saying to turn unit off to start the update. Then the screen saying updating - do not turn off, but after over 45 mins I knew something was wrong.

I'll keep you all posted on any solution.

Simon
Old May 08, 2012, 03:39 AM
Canterbury, New Zealand.
Joined Feb 2011
34 Posts
That's interesting Simon, it will be good to find out what the problem is.
It would be nice if someone was able to find out directly from JR whether or not you can get your firmware up to date just by installing the lastest update version. The fact that each of the update files are exactly 1015Kb makes me think they each contain all the changes up to that point. It would be unlikely that they would be the same if they were add-ons. They have probably mainly just changed code rather than adding new stuff so they are each the same size. Could be wrong on all this though, just guessing here.
I also bought my XG8 from RC711 so I will be doubly interested to see what happens.
I might try and contact JR myself but in the meantime I hope someone can shed more light on it. Everyone just seems to be guessing.
Old May 08, 2012, 08:00 AM
Bath, Ontario
Joined Sep 2007
215 Posts
XG8 Software Update

Hello

I received my XG8 with ver 05. Updated to ver 08 without problems as a single step. I used a new 2G SD card. Not sure where but I think I read that one should use a 2G SD card not any bigger. I choose that size because that is what JR sells as an accessory.

Don't know if this had any effect but I felt better telling the XG8 to save a model to the card just to make sure the XG8 liked the card. I then inserted the card into my USB thing and wrote the file from my MBP to the card. Then did the upgrade.

The XG8 put a file on the new SD card and that is where I put a copy of the 'verup' folder I also copied the 'verup' folder to the root directory. The file size is: 1,039,229 bytes according to my MBP finder.

Sorry to hear of your problem Simon.

Richard

P.S. I really like the look, feel, and so far the performance of the XG8. I have an XG11 on the way as I need 9 channels for most of my bipe models and I won't use 'Y' connectors.
cloudniner is online now Find More Posts by cloudniner
Last edited by cloudniner; May 08, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old May 08, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Feb 2011
22 Posts
Bought the xg8 yesterday and from 0001-0000 i directly updated it to 0001-0008 as per the youtube video,didnt took more than 2mins and everything works well.. hope youll get yours back to work...
khymlawrence is offline Find More Posts by khymlawrence
Old May 08, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Feb 2011
22 Posts
Another thing quite mentioning is i have used a 16gb sdcard with no problem..
khymlawrence is offline Find More Posts by khymlawrence
Old May 08, 2012, 09:52 PM
Canterbury, New Zealand.
Joined Feb 2011
34 Posts
Thanks Richard and khymlawrence, this is real progress. I suspected that it would be the case that you can upgrade straight from version 0000 to 0008.
I have just realised that the first number in the name of the upgrade must mean that it contains the updates from the first one, ie 0001. So upgrade 0001 - 0008 means all the changes from and including 0001. Simon's problem must be due to something else. Obviously the red box in the guide saying remove the battery is overkill as well.
One nagging question though: why do they say "CAUTION : Be sure to check the software version before update" when it doesn't matter. I see the XG8 notes what version you initially have automatically and makes the necessary changes to bring it up to the updated version.
Andrew
Old May 09, 2012, 06:17 AM
Bath, Ontario
Joined Sep 2007
215 Posts
SD Card

Just a thought about the SD cards. I would make sure you got a new one, they only cost a few dollars now. I bought a new SanDisk 2G card from the Future Shop for $6.

The text below is from the JR web site. This is the reason I bought a 2G SD card. It must be in the FAT format I assumed so be careful formatting one. I know my camera went nuts when I formatted a card on my computer. I thought writing to the card with the XG8 trying to save a model was a good idea to prove the card was okay. If it didn't work to prove the card was okay nothing lost. I would think that the XG8 would get hung up if either the file was corrupt or the card defective when we are basically replacing its (brains) operating instructions when doing an upgrade with a 1Mb file.

Optional Genuine JR SD memory card.
Compatible with the JR 11X Zero, DSX11, XG11 and XG8.

We offer an optional genuine JR SD card as generic cards may sometimes not
work because of poor quality.
Our card guarantees data integrity during
model data transfer, storage or software updates.

Recommended for Software updates and Model Data transfer or storage. A
capacity of 2GB is more than enough for hundreds of models.

cloudniner is online now Find More Posts by cloudniner
Last edited by cloudniner; May 09, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old May 09, 2012, 07:03 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,116 Posts
Is there a need for a certain data transfer rate that a cheap card may not be able to attain?

Could it be that the card used was too slow?

grasping at straws.....

Best of luck.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old May 09, 2012, 09:12 PM
Edmonton
Joined Jun 2006
16 Posts
The card I used was a 2GB one that says on it speed 133x ( which I think is 20mb/sec)

Been using it in my 11x with no problems

Still no word from JR (via RC711)

Maybe the radio was just faulty, I followed the update instructions to the letter, including making sure the radio was fully charged to start with. I`m very computer savvy, working with computers since the early 70`s (when they filled an entire office floor and the floppies were 18`)

Simon