HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:05 AM
United Kingdom, England, Portsmouth
Joined Jan 2009
698 Posts
Help!
dynaflite super talon conversion f1 question

ok i have started my super talon build but have run into a problem allready.....
the motor bulkhead (well the new one) is suposed to go inplace of former F1, but if you take a look at the photos i have uploaded the 'new' bulkhead is way to small.

now i made sure that when i printed it off it conformed to the scale for the ribs, its all on the same page.
the ribs measure 110mm so its not the scaling, is it suposed to be like that so small?
many thanks in advance RCT.
P.s. cant carry on untill i get this sorted.
rcta15 is online now Find More Posts by rcta15
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 03:39 AM
United Kingdom, England, Portsmouth
Joined Jan 2009
698 Posts
bump
rcta15 is online now Find More Posts by rcta15
Old May 15, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Jul 2005
926 Posts
I have to admit, I have not looked at the doc for quite awhile. I'll have to check and get back. I think though, that its correct. The original motor was a 17mm? HiMax, so its small. And the way to check, is to set a 30mm spinner on the template. If with the balsa it looks like you can shape it to fit, its right.

I've bookmarked the thread, so I'll track it from now on.

Cheers,
Kevin
KJMDES is offline Find More Posts by KJMDES
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:12 AM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Miami
Joined Aug 2004
1,231 Posts
I've been in the process of building my Super Talon for 3 weeks now and I am very happy how the fuse and v tail came out. So far all I've used is thin CA all over. I came to the wing section and am taking my time. I just wanted to make sure that 110mm was the correct length because it seems so much of a shorter chord. What is the best way to make the ribs? AndI was wondering how much throw can you get with the use of torque rods? And when it comes to extending the tips are you measuring 5'' from the L.E. or T.E?

DJ
Dangerous James is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous James
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Jul 2005
926 Posts
Hi DJ,
Looking forward to seeing some pix.
On the cord: I should have stated that the root rib should match the length of the original rib. In reality, the plan-form is identical to the original wing, until you get to the last 5 inches. Which is measured at the TE.

This was meant to be a simple build, hence the rather primitive extension of the wing, and clunky LE. One way to use the original wood. Personally, I tend to torture a full-length LE all the way to the tip block. The last couple ribs need to be reshaped a bit, but it makes for a better plan-form.

Cheers,
Kevin
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Jul 2005
926 Posts
On making ribs.
Make a plywood or aluminum set of the root and tip ribs. Line these up with the spar cutouts, and drill two holes through them so they can bolt together. Cut as many blank balsa rectangles as you need for all the ribs, and drill all blanks with the two matching holes. Using long screws and nuts, clamp all the blanks between the templates, and block sand and shape the blanks till they are flush with the templates.
Last edited by KJMDES; Nov 25, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:30 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Miami
Joined Aug 2004
1,231 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Was worried about the root rib being too short. Whew. Now I can continue with confidence. I was also wondering what happened to the Super Talon being sold as a kit. I was also conceiving on placing the flap servos in the wing rather than in the center. I would get more throw with the servo in the wing rather than using the torque rod.

DJ
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:33 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Miami
Joined Aug 2004
1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMDES View Post
Hi DJ,
Looking forward to seeing some pix.
On the cord: I should have stated that the root rib should match the length of the original rib. In reality, the plan-form is identical to the original wing, until you get to the last 5 inches. Which is measured at the TE.

This was meant to be a simple build, hence the rather primitive extension of the wing, and clunky LE. One way to use the original wood. Personally, I tend to torture a full-length LE all the way to the tip block. The last couple ribs need to be reshaped a bit, but it makes for a better plan-form.

Cheers,
Kevin
Does this mean that I can use the same ribs in this build?

DJ
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Jul 2005
926 Posts
You can do a four servo wing. That moves it out of the simple conversion and adds a bit of weight, but you'll gain camber control. Your call.

Ribs are different. Don't skip this.

The Talon is likely a historical footnote at this point. Demand for sailplane kits is so low these days, love is the only incentive...........

Cheers,
Kevin
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:56 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Miami
Joined Aug 2004
1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMDES View Post
You can do a four servo wing. That moves it out of the simple conversion and adds a bit of weight, but you'll gain camber control. Your call.

Ribs are different. Don't skip this.

The Talon is likely a historical footnote at this point. Demand for sailplane kits is so low these days, love is the only incentive...........

Cheers,
Kevin
Beautifly said sir. True that there are many beautiful gliders that are molded. I own a few. But the love of building from scratch or a kit are rare. Here are done more pics to my progress. Old school way of cutting ribs but still the best.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:11 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Miami
Joined Aug 2004
1,231 Posts
Have to redo the ribs to the left wing again being that I am using ribs 1-5 for the right wing. I forgot that the wing is a constant chord with the exception of ribs 10 and 11. No biggie, just more ribs to cut.

DJ
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:22 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Miami
Joined Aug 2004
1,231 Posts
One wing down, one to go.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Jul 2005
926 Posts