HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 02:08 PM
Former B52H Crew Chief
Green Bay WI
Joined Feb 2009
781 Posts
Ambitious project, I look forward to seeing your results... Please by all means show us pictures and videos (successes and failures!).
aerofly0610 is offline Find More Posts by aerofly0610
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 02:20 PM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,153 Posts
Just a thought, my Sparky came out nose heavy. I had to add weight to the tail to make it fly well. Also I think the rudder area should be increased. I have to add power to make mine turn.
It does fly well and it is relaxing to fly.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Old May 01, 2012, 03:50 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Just a thought, my Sparky came out nose heavy. I had to add weight to the tail to make it fly well. Also I think the rudder area should be increased. I have to add power to make mine turn.
It does fly well and it is relaxing to fly.
Pd-1 As weird as it sounds,that's why we're investigating this drive system...I won't shorten Sparky's nose,although it's nose heavy....By my convoluted thinking,with the engine at the cabin end of a long shaft,the drive system can be lighter from the windshield forward,(half an engine,hollow shaft) than the full engine at the nose...Overall weight will be up,of course,but the wing and stab are both lifting surfaces,able to support the increased heft.
Doubling the size of the stab should increase it's weight to balance the plane easily.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,800 Posts
Looking at the rudder size,and with input from Pd-1 (thank you) ,I'm going to increase the size of the rudder twofold,the elevator one and one half again.

I don't always obey wind warnings,so a little additional control will be a comfort.

I'm going to Toy-r us, to look for 5" wooden wheels on a kid's pull toy or such for Sparky.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 08:48 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
If you make it a little bigger, the view while flying it will improve immensely

The mid-mounted engine, plus extension shaft, is a fascinating idea. Looking forwards to seeing how it comes along.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 02, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,800 Posts
I will share success and failures-FAILURES? HA!, as we move along.

If I can prevent one person from the heartbreak of failure,I will have been successful.

We spoke of a gear reduction at one point.Keep that in the back of your mind.....way back....but retain it.,just in case.

The original Sparky has 1/8" MW single landing gear struts..Knowing full well that won't be adequate for "Sparky too",I designed a double wire gear,with the Classic curved rear leg.I also like the 'arch' I see on some models from one wheel to the other,as a spreader...Functional or not,I'm adding it.

We're 'improving' the basic design as we progress...strong and light.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 02:07 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,418 Posts
For this size of model your doubled and "arched" 1/8 wire gear is more than appropriate. In fact if you'd done the main legs in 5/32 it may have been better considering your planned overall weight.

My 84 inch 5.5 lb old timer uses the same doubled and "arched" setup as you've done all in 1/8 wire. It's stiff as a board for that weight and more than enough. With double the weight I'm sure it'll be fine but you can likely expect a trifle more "jello" wobbling as it flexes.

The frame work pictures are looking great! I also see that you haven't shifted the engine back to the cabin yet.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old May 03, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,800 Posts
Our engine drive system is mocked up on a separate platform,duplicating the 1/4 A/C plate shown in the photos.
Each system will be tested to exhaustion,and will be interchangable for demonstration purposes.
If unforseen problems arise,I'd rather they appear in the garage,than in the air.
Once adequate testing is done,the airframe should act as a "glider', if engine failure occurs,unless the failure takes some structure with it.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 10:07 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,418 Posts
Certainly a wise way to proceed. I'm looking forward to hearing about how it works out.

Just out of curiousity are you going to use the suggested helicopter fan and shroud to cool the engine? Or have you got some other idea?
Old May 04, 2012, 06:50 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,800 Posts
The way the nose is designed lends it's self to a partially hidden,large air scoop on the bottom...actually not a scoop,but an open area which doesn't alter the plan view lines.An area appro.3" x 7" can be left open,and with a bit of 1/32" balsa, incoming air can be directed to the helicopter type fan.
Similarly,an area in the aft fuse will be used to exhaust the heated air.
I had done a Topflite P-39 ,many years ago,with a marine head on the engine,and a miniature radiator for cooling.With my limited knowledge and experience at that time,"unsuccessful"didn't accurately describe the failure.
30 years later,large- finned gas engines,and a willingness to add non-scale openings for cooling air,may enable success this time around.
I'm willing to experiment again,but this time with a secondary,back-up ,standard drive system,if the trials fail.Hence the 'bolt-in' replacement.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 02:01 PM
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
247 Posts
RCROBBY is offline Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Old May 04, 2012, 02:17 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,977 Posts
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old May 04, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,800 Posts
I posted a Classified ad for some 5, to 5-1/2" wooden wheels for Sparky..A Gentleman with Laser and CNC as new toys offered to build a pair,enlarged copies of the wheels commonly supplied with Comet kits from by-gone days.His PDF file is at the classifieds site.Nice looking wheel.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; May 04, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old May 04, 2012, 11:49 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,418 Posts
I remember reading about a remote enclosed engine setup for an airplane which used the marine head and some copper tube wrapped around the upper cylinder. It connected to a remote radiator located in the scale position. To pump the liquid a Robart (?) vibratory fuel pump was used. These pumps were mounted to the engine bearers and used the waste energy from the engine vibration to move the liquid.

In a model boat no such pump is required since a simple angled end tube situated to scoop up water from below using the forward speed is all that is needed to move a good volume.
Old May 05, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,800 Posts
Yes- I used that as a 'crutch' for defending my desire to do this experiment.I remember it was on a glow engine.
My major concern is attempting to cool a 50 cc Gas engine with air.in A P-39
I firmly believe,at the expense of scale fidelity,enough cooling air can be routed through the area at the nose wheel doors,back through the fuselage,and around a closely ducted engine.
This 'air tunnel'equates to a jet fuselage in my mind.
Scale prohibits any cooling air exhaust area in the rear,but I'm not a fanatic.....the bottom of the fuselage could be opened enough to allow heated air to escape....A 1" wide slot 10-12" long would certainly suffice,and not be too noticable,except from the bottom.The nose gear area exists already....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; May 05, 2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Describe proper aircraft