HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:33 AM
MasonJee
United States, MO, Ballwin
Joined Apr 2012
48 Posts
New Product
UMX Carbon Cub SS

Ok so I know it has been anounced for a while and isnt exactly new, but does anyone know when it will be available for actual purchase?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...s-bnf-EFLU1180
masonjee is offline Find More Posts by masonjee
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:45 AM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
The first shipment is due early to mid-May. Good luck getting your hands on one.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:32 AM
MasonJee
United States, MO, Ballwin
Joined Apr 2012
48 Posts
Its actually a buddy who wants one, I will try and convince him to pay up front now on horizon.com.. even still it would probably be too late for first shipment if they are going to be as hot as you imply.
masonjee is offline Find More Posts by masonjee
Old Mar 13, 2014, 03:08 PM
Joined Mar 2014
207 Posts
I first bought my cub about a month ago, came with a dead flap servo. Last week received a brand new cub, all the servo's worked great, AS3x was looking good, the rudder servo spar was to short, rudder was almost hard left. 'contracted' the U-bend and got a straight rudder. Checked the AS3x was not compensating for that somehow. It doesn't appear to be. Went out:

Take off no worries, then it started...horrible left pull, it goes into an ever smaller circle with no input of aileron or rudder. Took it out twice since, even with a bit of right-mechanical trim, left-left-left! This is my first AS3x plane. I thought it prevented exactly this!

I also cut the engine (thinking engine mounted incorrectly) and it still pulls left, but rather than dropping an aileron and circling like at high speed, it turns on its rudder axis more slowly, as if the rudder was not straight. Every time I land it, it comes in nice then rotates until it is facing a different direction to the way it is travelling and almost catches its downwind wing even on a steep approach I have to hold hard right rudder.

I can't explain it. Anyone able to help? Thanks in advance.

(This is my second copy of this post in CC pages, apologies if that annoys anyone)
Squinton is offline Find More Posts by Squinton
Old Mar 13, 2014, 03:25 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,202 Posts
1. is the tailwheel aligned with the rudder?

2. hold it (as in level flight) in your hand after battery is connected and see if the control surfaces are still neutral (this may not be that easy, i had a hard time keeping my as3x micros level in my hand).

3. are there any warps in the wing or stabs?
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:57 AM
Joined Mar 2014
207 Posts
When you say aligned, my tail-wheel comes off my rudder and goes straight down, it seems pretty much aligned, definitely no large discrepancy. Since landing it with the massive left tendency has been tricky, there may be a slight bend to the tail wheel, but the rudder is definitely aligned with the plane. What could the tail wheel misalignment cause? Ground control is not really an issue, it only starts pulling left after gaining some speed and altitude.

I have spent a few days trying to As3X indoors, have had it on tables next to spirit measures to ensure the table is straight, and all surfaces are dead straight, and seem to react as expected to any input from me, including the rudder.

There are no visible warps, but I, perhaps due to not finding any other solution though, have a slight inclining that the rudder is very slightly spoon shaped, but then i look from a different angle and it seems more likely to be a feature of the ribbing on this plane, I get the same 'effect' from my large Stinson (also has ribbed foam surfaces) which flies like an arrow without As3x. I have had a few friends to have a look at it and they all say they can not see any warp or misalignment either.

Also, If the warp is only small, and hardly noticeable, can it really overcome the As3x correction enough to cause a plane to have such a strong tendency?

Thanks for your quick response, hopefully my answers help you understand my problem
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:19 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,202 Posts
a slight curve in the rudder is not a problem - specially since you checked from different angles.

at this point i think the brick has a problem. calling Horizon is the only advice i have left but first i advise mentioning your issue on the dedicated Carbon Cub thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585631 and seeing what they say.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:38 AM
Joined Mar 2014
207 Posts
Hey. Yes, I just went to the field with my pz Stinson, brought the Cub along to the dismay of the people there: This is Germany, and I dunno how it is elsewhere, but it's just turbine jet here, beautiful 4m wide Biplane with a radial engine there, a Chinook helicopter next to it, lines of hand made 2m wide gliders. Eye-candy to say the least!

Bringing out the CC got some snickers, hell the Stinson is among the smallest planes I see here. But after they died down, a couple of the techy guys came and watched me fly. As soon as it left the ground. "Kreisel is kaput" which means the gyroscope is broken, which means the AS3x is broken. I don't think I emphasized the degree of left 'tendency' it has, I have to hold hard right rudder and aileron to keep it level on landing.

Thanks very much for your help! I shall be sending it back to the shop I got it from, they obviously have a big deal with horizon hobby Germany. This plane was made 2 months ago, when i received it as replacement for the broken flap cub i got first, and they managed that in 2 weeks, so their service is great. And I really like this god damn plane, and Horizon Hobby and E-flite, the deuces wild is my favorite model to fly on Phoenix :/ I feel bad sending a second plane back, but it's practically unflyable.

I have already posted on the main cc forum, had lots of replies, going to relay the thoughts of the people at the airfield there.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:59 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,202 Posts
that's the best idea overall - to get your fellow flyers on your field to see it too.

good luck, i hope you get it fixed/replaced.

ps - we don't have jets on our field but we do have a lot of IC planes. you guys have high electricity rates in Germany right? is that why less interest in electrics?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:56 PM
Joined Mar 2014
207 Posts
Hey, actually the club has a house with freely usable power sockets and dc adapters, actual chargers for members, even tools and glue. 350euros a year for membership includes insurance up to 3.5 million euro damage. Unless you are a student like me then its 70 euros a year. Grass field, but enormous space with 1 tree. I almost hit the tree today with my sr-10 lol.

And yes power is expensive here (compared to Thailand where I lived most of the last 20 years), but it was more expensive in Australia where I was from 2008-2012 doing my BSc. Not sure in comparison with America, but we do have 50% renewable sources here so I can imagine it's a little more expensive due to that.

There are actually lots of electric planes, just rather large motors in most. All the medium sized gliders have a motor too it seems mounted somewhere.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 01:03 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,202 Posts
oh, i see. i had thought you meant a lot of jets. but rather its a lot of big planes. yep, on my field, my PZ spitfire looks like a micro compared to most of the planes.

here in the USA, California leads the country with a 33% "renewable" energy target by 2020. but the state will be bankrupt long before that.