HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, GA, LaGrange
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Help!
6S with a bad cell

OK, I know that I'm probably posting in the wrong section, so maybe a mod can move it for me. I tried searching to no avail, so here goes. I have a Gens Ace 6S 5300mah with maybe 20 cycles on it that has apparently dropped cell #6. When charging, it appears fines, charges fine, however, under load, that cell drops off first, heats up, and has puffed slightly. After sitting, it will come back up in voltage to equal the other cells. Anyone ever see that? Any ideas? What i was thinking about doing, was to removing the Number 6 cell and change it to a usable 5s pack? Any thoughts? Any help is appreciated.
CJRAY is offline Find More Posts by CJRAY
Last edited by CJRAY; Apr 30, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:27 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
I'm sure it can be done, but given the volatile nature of lipo's I wouldn't try it, as it's just not worth the risk.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
I'm sure it can be done, but given the volatile nature of lipo's I wouldn't try it, as it's just not worth the risk.
Yeah, I've separated a different bad 6s pack that I had, just to look and check it out. I don't think it would be too bad considering it's an outside cell. I'm just looking for some pics or a thread with pics for reference or a step by step, I guess.
Last edited by CJRAY; Apr 30, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:41 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,021 Posts
If it's an outside cell, it's doable. i did it with a 3s pack that had a dead cell, made it a 2s. I just desoldered the dead cell and removed it's balance wire from all of them. still had to plug into the 3s balance port but functioned as a 2s fine.Just be careful. It's not impossible, but it's tough to solder the wires and tabs together, especially when it's an aluminum tab. They have to use a special solder and flux, and the tabs are tack welded together.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
If it's an outside cell, it's doable. i did it with a 3s pack that had a dead cell, made it a 2s. I just desoldered the dead cell and removed it's balance wire from all of them. still had to plug into the 3s balance port but functioned as a 2s fine.Just be careful. It's not impossible, but it's tough to solder the wires and tabs together, especially when it's an aluminum tab. They have to use a special solder and flux, and the tabs are tack welded together.

Yeah, i fixed it when I got home from work. Just unwrapped it, clipped the positive wire and balance tap wire off, removed the cell and re soldered the positive wire back on. All done, Very simple with it being the last cell. Would be a problem in the middle or on other end where you would have to rearrange all of the balance leads. Now I have a good 5s pack for my Patriot.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:28 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRAY View Post
Yeah, i fixed it when I got home from work. Just unwrapped it, clipped the positive wire and balance tap wire off, removed the cell and re soldered the positive wire back on. All done, Very simple with it being the last cell. Would be a problem in the middle or on other end where you would have to rearrange all of the balance leads. Now I have a good 5s pack for my Patriot.
Cool, glad it worked out charges and balances ok?
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old May 01, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Cool, glad it worked out charges and balances ok?
Yeah, which is the strange thing as it did that anyway. After a few minutes of flying, #6 would start dumping. The way I noticed is that I lost power on my 550E and when I brought in in to land, it was twitching. I immediately checked the cells and 1-5 were are like 65%, 6 was at 30% and hot. Let it sit for a while and it would revive itself and they would all show to be in the 65% range. Tried sloooow charging it, but kept getting the same results. Kind of strange. Anyway, removed the cell, balance charged it, and hooked up the Patriot for some power system testing and it worked great as a 5S. Money saved! The Patriot needs more cooling holes though.
Old May 09, 2012, 10:28 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
974 Posts
Whoa! Don't fly with a bad LiPo cell!!

These internal cells are usually in series, which means that the pressure of all the individual cells gets pushed through the bad cell (so it heats up). Bad news.

I have had a 4S battery lose a cell and read as a 3S. I don't trust doing the surgery to remove the bad cell, so discard these.
wuest3141 is online now Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old May 09, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Done it before when lipos were expensive, even the crappy ones from HK. If you search over at Runryder or Helifreak, there are threads showing how.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old May 10, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuest3141 View Post
Whoa! Don't fly with a bad LiPo cell!!

These internal cells are usually in series, which means that the pressure of all the individual cells gets pushed through the bad cell (so it heats up). Bad news.

I have had a 4S battery lose a cell and read as a 3S. I don't trust doing the surgery to remove the bad cell, so discard these.
Well, it was # 6 on the end, so it was as easy as removing the covering, clipping the positive wire off of number six, un-soldering it from 5 and re-soldering the positive wire back on to # 5 and wrapping the pack back up. If it was another cell, I probably wouldn't have messed with it.