HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Apr 2006
40 Posts
Discussion
Where did nitro heli's go????

Flash back to 2003 when I had bought a Hirobo Shuttle ZX, then a Century Hawk.

Now I'm cruising the market and can hardly find any 30 size machines.

I found TT Raptors at Tower Hobbies, Century still makes the Hawk.

But what about Hirobo, and any others that I may forgotten?

Have Lipo batteries really taken over the world of RC?????
flyer2004 is offline Find More Posts by flyer2004
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer2004 View Post
Flash back to 2003 when I had bought a Hirobo Shuttle ZX, then a Century Hawk.

I found TT Raptors at Tower Hobbies, Century still makes the Hawk.

But what about Hirobo, and any others that I may forgotten?

There have been a number of 30's released by JR (Venture 30) and Hirobo (Evo 30) since the Hawk Pro was released, but they did not last too long before being discontinued. I guess they found, as the 30 market decreased, that they could not compete in value to the Hawk Pro, and so they dropped out.

I have many newer helis, yet still fly my Hawk Pro regularly. I have already worn out 3 engines on it and it is still going strong. If you have the old OS32ZH in yours, you will find the newer OS37 is a lot more powerful, while still being as user friendly to tune. It was like breathing new life into mine, when I installed it. Now it performs a lot like some of the heavier 50's I have owned in the past.

And if you ever want to go electric, they now have a nifty little electric conversion kit for it.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:03 PM
Mtn Home, Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
Gassers are taking over, I plan to jump onboard
Evan03 is offline Find More Posts by Evan03
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:52 PM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer2004 View Post
People realized that they could get more bang for their hard earned buck if they went with a 50 sized helicopter, than taking the intermediate step of buying a 30.

Quote:
It may seem that way, but there are a few nitro diehards out there. The comment about gassers might be correct, but they all (nitro, electric, gas) have a corner of the market that will probably never change.

Rafael
Rafael23cc is offline Find More Posts by Rafael23cc
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,648 Posts
Talking of the bigger gasoline powered helis. The current Radikal G-30 in this video, is performing a lot like many of the big nitro 90's that I have seen.

Nitro what? (0 min 53 sec)
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:47 PM
Mtn Home, Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
i agree. i dont feel like e birds have taken over, guys love there nitros and i want to go gas so i can afford to fly the dang thing.

no real reason to get 30 size heli that i can think of. i dont even know that it would cost less to fix after crash maybe slightly less for smaller blades but thats it.

one reason to get 30 may be less fuel burned and more flights per gallon then a 50 sized motor.

gassers are becoming more mainstream and are getting more powerful and in the same size package. i can not wait till i can go buy some 87 octane at the fuel pump mix in some oil and go fly .
Evan03 is offline Find More Posts by Evan03
Old May 01, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,648 Posts
I have always had a 30 nitro in my fleet & have owned many 30 sized nitros over the years (Hirobo Shuttles, Kalt Enforcers & Baron 30, Kyosho Concepts, TSK Mystar 30, Raptor 30 & a number of versions of the Century Hawk). The current 30 nitro in my fleet is the Century Hawk Pro which has well over 500 flights on it now.

I have also had many gassers, my Hawk Pro with the OS37 really outperformed them all until I got a Predator Gasser in 2005.

It is only the current generation of Century gassers (e.g. the Radikal G30 in the video) with the new high performance engines that are true smack type 3D machines.

What are the differences in crash costs for a beginner? I would strongly recommend the Hawk Pro simply because it is an easier build, due to its two stage power system, it has absolutely no critical alignment areas, it flies extremely well and it has a very low cost for repairs from any crash.

Heck, the most expensive crash I ever had with my Hawk Pro, cost about the same as a set of C/F blades for any of my gassers!
Old May 02, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Apr 2006
40 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies, it's kind of frustrating because I really like nitro/gas powered flying. I own a couple of electric planes but it's just not the same as glow, or gas.

I just bought a used but in great condition OS 32, planing on the Hawk Pro Kit.
flyer2004 is offline Find More Posts by flyer2004
Old May 04, 2012, 01:10 AM
Joined Dec 2007
842 Posts
You will find the OS32SXH will power the great little Hawk Pro very well.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:58 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,149 Posts
I got my Craigs List Century Hawk pro flying and I like it a lot!
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SliderBat - a GeoBat derivative
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, TX, Cibolo
Joined Nov 2011
328 Posts
I still fly the blades off my Hawk, not the Pro or others, the ORIGINAL $199.00 HAWK and it still flies great, afew crash kits granted, but still the original OS .32 just a few sets of clutch pads. They still are a great little heli, I also have a TT 30V2 and a Shuttle in a Jet Ranger Body.
Hollywood2979 is offline Find More Posts by Hollywood2979
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:05 PM
=>] Smack 3D Head [<=
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2007
3,120 Posts
Gaui NX4 is a large .30 size and is a sweet machine. Brand new design.
HeliSmith is offline Find More Posts by HeliSmith
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood2979 View Post
I still fly the blades off my Hawk, not the Pro or others, the ORIGINAL $199.00 HAWK and it still flies great, afew crash kits granted, but still the original OS .32 just a few sets of clutch pads. They still are a great little heli, I also have a TT 30V2 and a Shuttle in a Jet Ranger Body.
Wow, the old original Hawk. That dates back almost 20 years to about 1994!

It has evolved a lot since then to always keep up with the market.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:36 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,532 Posts
Electric hasn't really "taken over" but it's simply what's more popular nowadays. Electric is clean, quiet, efficient, and powerful. Nitro, however, still offers plenty of advantages such as flight time and less time on the ground. You don't have to wait to recharge batteries; simply fill up the tank and go fly again.

They each have their advantages and disadvantages.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:42 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
You have Lipo prices going down with improving technology and you have nitro prices going up. Some lipo motors I hear are approaching 15 HP!!! No internal combustion engine can compete with that for the same weight. I like electric for heli's up to 450 size. I had nitro 50's then sold them. I own 2 Miniature Aircraft Gassers with on board generators. Fuel and fly all day no charging except maybe the TX ,,but that is rare. Cheap fuel long flight times 15 minutes,,some guys go 30 to 45 minutesI hear. Engines if treated correctly last FAR longer than any nitro engine. The drawback? Not as much power as nitro but it will do most maneuvers at a more graceful pace. I don't need mega power to enjoy myself. Depends on your flying style.
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI