HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2012, 09:28 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
heres one that scared me real good about lasers, I still consider my self extremely dangerous (like playing roman candle fights and attacking friends with a tri copter strapped with fireworks) but skin grows back... Your eyes however DON'T grow back. Strapping a laser on a plane is just one of those things that sound pretty cool but the risks are just too high to take. I still find it hard to believe you guys didin't rig an on and off switch to it. http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hi...ser-69469.html
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 10:16 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
heres one that scared me real good about lasers, I still consider my self extremely dangerous (like playing roman candle fights and attacking friends with a tri copter strapped with fireworks) but skin grows back... Your eyes however DON'T grow back. Strapping a laser on a plane is just one of those things that sound pretty cool but the risks are just too high to take. I still find it hard to believe you guys didin't rig an on and off switch to it. http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hi...ser-69469.html
Even if you did rig it to an on/off switch, it would still be difficult to tell exactly where the beam would end up until you had turned it on. Even the little ones that won't do any permanent damage can still 'dazzle' you for a bit, which would probably make it difficult to maintain control of your airplane until your iris recovers.
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
Old May 09, 2012, 10:27 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
that's true, we all saw how hard it was to judge your depth with the night bowling Lets just try to avoid strapping 1W lasers to our planes, although it would be pretty cool to zap some other planes out of the sky with it...
Old May 10, 2012, 10:51 AM
The Eh Team
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2000
954 Posts
Quote:
The laser in that incident is 1000x more powerful than a class II laser!
eajohnson is offline Find More Posts by eajohnson
Old May 10, 2012, 10:52 AM
The Eh Team
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2000
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
Even if you did rig it to an on/off switch, it would still be difficult to tell exactly where the beam would end up until you had turned it on. Even the little ones that won't do any permanent damage can still 'dazzle' you for a bit, which would probably make it difficult to maintain control of your airplane until your iris recovers.
That's exactly the conclusion I came to when I looked into this, i.e. that the risk with low powered lasers is temporarily blinding yourself or another pilot and causing a crash into people or property.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:14 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eajohnson View Post
The laser in that incident is 1000x more powerful than a class II laser!
I'm pretty sure they strapped a wicked lasers Arctic on to the plane and its a class 4 laser...
http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/S...ies-96-37.html
Old May 10, 2012, 01:55 PM
The Eh Team
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2000
954 Posts
Quote:
I'm pretty sure they strapped a wicked lasers Arctic on to the plane and its a class 4 laser...
http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/S...ies-96-37.html
I'm not comfortable with those being waved around on the ground, much less in the air.
Old May 10, 2012, 03:02 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eajohnson View Post
That's exactly the conclusion I came to when I looked into this, i.e. that the risk with low powered lasers is temporarily blinding yourself or another pilot and causing a crash into people or property.
Yeah, I really wanted to try it with some little .5mW laser pointer elements, but after a lot of reading about the risks involved, I decided it wasn't worth it.
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
Old May 10, 2012, 09:08 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Didn't we already agree that lasers don't belong on our models??
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 17, 2012, 06:11 PM
It's gone...
Joined Aug 2004
5,130 Posts
More developments concerning laser pointers.

http://thehill.com/blogs/transportat...laser-pointers
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old May 17, 2012, 06:43 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,122 Posts
The Federal Aviation Administration said Wednesday that it would pursue harsher penalties for people who point lasers at flying airplanes

what about flying airplanes that point lasers at people?
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old May 29, 2012, 06:17 PM
I'd FPV it.
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Nov 2009
2,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
ifin you dont like night seff the way it is....

GO TO BED...
Like...
SEFF at night is the icing on the cake.
Take icing off the cake, and it's ruined.
Ho-Jazz is offline Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
Old May 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,611 Posts
Wiser words could not have been spoken^^
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old May 30, 2012, 03:33 AM
Scotty
United States, IL, Schiller Park
Joined Oct 2006
137 Posts
Dr Eevil says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Didn't we already agree that lasers don't belong on our models??
..a
Come on throw me a bone people would it be too much ask to get some frick'n leezers on my airplanes!
flys4free is offline Find More Posts by flys4free
RCG Plus Member