HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:00 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
148 Posts
Discussion
EDIT: Finished my Heavy Lift xAircraft based Hexacopter!

Finally finished my quad, got as far as hovering it a bit with Attitude hold on. Got ev everything ready for a true maiden flight tomorrow morning. Wanted to test out GPS, Heading Lock, RTH and Carefree modes.

But of course, I had to go and drop my DX7 while loading my car and now 2 of the switches are busted, including the 3 position toggle that lets me go between sport, attitude mode, and GPS Attitude.

I may be able to fly with it, have to carefully test to see if the switch is still responsive and stable, but I am bummed at the thought of having to wait for a new Tx.

Anyway, here's pics of my new build.
Goanna is offline Find More Posts by Goanna
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Goanna; May 03, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Oct 2006
148 Posts
Okay well now the hex is complete, all motors and esc's installed.

Have about 4 flights on it so far, each time landing and tweaking the gain settings in xaircraft center to get better performance.

It's pretty stable now. Attitude mode works well, but does bounce up and down a bit (not super stable altitude lock like DJI shows). Heading lock works good too. Going to mess with Carefree mode some next time and the final test will be GPS.

Have a couple of videos grabbed with a 1080p camcorder mounted on my x468HD frame. Going to upload them shortly.
Site Sponsor
Old May 03, 2012, 09:56 PM
India
Joined Feb 2006
105 Posts
Where did you buy the landing gear and the camera mount..??
joy4u is offline Find More Posts by joy4u
Old May 03, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Oct 2006
148 Posts
It's the x468HD landing gear from www.x468.com. Really nice gear IMO. My first couple of landings where quite hard, and on concrete none the less, and the landing gear took it like a champ
Site Sponsor
Old May 04, 2012, 02:50 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,942 Posts
You can get switches for your dx7 at radio shack or any electronics parts store. Digikey.com and some hobby stores.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 04, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Oct 2006
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
You can get switches for your dx7 at radio shack or any electronics parts store. Digikey.com and some hobby stores.
Yeah, I did take it apart already and see that they were standard three pole toggle switches. Just need to try and match the size up. Although j wound up ordering a flysky 9x as well. I think the extra channel and the dial knobs will wind up being useful on the hex.
Site Sponsor
Old May 04, 2012, 10:34 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,942 Posts
true.... i have a ER9x that is am trying to sell.... if only Spektrum made a DSMX module for JR style radios.... but i think they never will
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 04, 2012, 10:43 AM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,014 Posts
go to your local hardware store or home depot/lowes and get some pipe insulation foam.
Works great as a LG cushion. Its presplit so all you have to do is cut a length for each landing gear skid and zip tie it on.

really cushions the landings

cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Last edited by cryhavoc38; May 04, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old May 04, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Oct 2006
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
go to your local hardware store or home depot/lowes and get some pipe insulation foam.
Works great as a LG cushion. Its presplit so all you have to do is cut a length for each landing gear skid and zip tie it on.

really cushions the landings

Thanks for the tip! I've seen pool noodles used as well but wasn't fond of the look of that. Those don't look bad at all though. In fact, that's a very clean looking craft in general. I still have some cable management to take care of lol.
Site Sponsor
Old May 04, 2012, 12:56 PM
Noob
Malaysia
Joined Mar 2012
473 Posts
arrr i see FPG
trinco is offline Find More Posts by trinco
Old May 04, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Oct 2006
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinco View Post
arrr i see FPG
Haha yeah that's one of my favorites. Sold out at the moment but should have more in soon
http://www.keyporthobbies.com/MAGPUL...KWA_p_830.html
Site Sponsor