HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:22 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
Thin epoxy with denatured alcohol. If you look at the ingredients on any chemical label you'll see that one item will constitute the majority of the contents. This will be the carrier substance that holds all the rest of the ingredients. The same item will be what you need to thin the chemical or clean a brush after using the chemical. In the case of epoxy the carrier is denatured alcohol so you use that for thinning and cleaning. It works too.
Pour the two parts of epoxy into a SMALL cup and mix quickly. Add a LITTLE DA and mix. Add the DA a LITTLE at a time and mix until you get the consistancy you want. In this case your looking for slightly thickened water. The key word here is LITTLE until you've mixed a few batches . Then you will find your speed with this and move right along. Remember that the epoxy cures fast so you have to use small amounts to get the stuff painted on before it starts to dry. Once the drying starts your all done with that batch and you have to throw it out. Think of it as gold so you don't want to throw any out.
After the first two batches are applied you take a clean cup of the same size that you mixed the epoxy in and THAT'S where you apply the Captain Morgan. DO NOT thin the Capt. Morgan with anything and apply it to your gullet. Makes the rest of the job go like you been doing it all your life.
I also like to label the DA can with "EPOXY" so I can remember which thinner works for that. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,539 Posts
Thinning epoxy

Pete: Thanks for the info, denatured alcohol.
Thanks for the caution on mixing denatured alcohol and Capt. Morgan.
Obviously, that caution was not necessary in my case, or I would've been reading your message in braille.
OBW
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:32 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
Good thing I read the directions or I would have been writing in braille.Forgot to tell you not to light any matches near any of this stuff. Ya might want to wear scuba gear while your working with it all too. pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,539 Posts
Duplicating Sterling's embossing on decks

My experiments on duplicating the decks of the actual Sterling parts, one with reasonable embossing, one with virtually no embossing. Until I post the continuation of this part of the project, I will take you up to as far as making two masters for the final deck.

In the last picture. The only thing that needs to be done is the laying wires in the embossed grooves.

Are you tired yet? Confused? Amazed?

You really think I'm nuts don't you?

OBW
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,539 Posts
High tech materials use in the above procedure

Wire used for the embossing dies is .030" florist wire
The bolt used for the press is 6 inch 7/8-9.

Doesn't everyone use bolts like this when they are working on their models?
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:34 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
I am tired and I am confused and amazed but your not nuts. A little crafty maybe but not nuts. That's a brilliant idea you've come up with and one that almost anyone could use. There are quit a few people who are doing scratch built 63's and would kill for some embossed decking like that. Now you need to make a right mold and your in business.Don't forget to put wire on the hatch cover over the stairs too.
Nice work old bilge goat. Great idea. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
I am tired and I am confused and amazed but your not nuts. A little crafty maybe but not nuts. That's a brilliant idea you've come up with and one that almost anyone could use. There are quit a few people who are doing scratch built 63's and would kill for some embossed decking like that. Now you need to make a right mold and your in business.Don't forget to put wire on the hatch cover over the stairs too.
Nice work old bilge goat. Treat idea. Pete
Pete:
I intentionally left the embossing out for the hatch cover since the hatch cover is not on both sides. I intend to measure and cut this in in the finished product.
As to the right side, my next step will be to lay the wires on that one also. Then having a right and left side, I will set them up over a single piece of mahogany plywood and imprint it.
OBW
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:03 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
Now that's just plain good thinkin' Old Bilge Rat. Ha! Way to go. The imprint really looks great so your doing the right thing. Will you do this for other people who are building from scratch? I sell the plans for the 63 from time to time and I'll recomend you for these pieces if you won't mind. How about the back deck? That has the imprints on it too along with the side decking. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,539 Posts
Pete:
I would consider doing it for others, but this is very time consuming. What would I charge? If I charge what I made before retirement, a prospect would be offended. If I do it for nothing, I will be offended. Perhaps if I am able to develop a more efficient method I could make it more beneficial for all. Time to consider and discuss with anyone interested.
I am making the front deck as one and I'm thinking of including the next two side pieces with it. Next the rear center as one and the two rear side pieces of course separate. But all will be done with this method. I have a way to go.

OBW
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:04 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
You have come up with an answer to a problem that has existed for years since the kit went out of production.Your results are excellent so all that is needed is an easy and quick way to do the work. I'm thinking wire that can be shaped and with all the pieces soldered together. Slap it between two pieces of wood and press .I think I would use copper or brass wire with brass being more durable and less likly to distort.
Since it's a hobby you might consider all the cost of the parts plus a reasonable amount for the labor to make the part once you have perfected the process. R&D is always expensive but has to be regained by sales of the product. Just ask the pill makers about that. Anyway I can see where $50 or so wouldn't be out of line for the complete set of parts but you need to be able to do it fast. This is really very interesting to me. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by norgale; Jun 06, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,539 Posts
At this point nothing is off the table. However, I need to do two other things. First, I need to finish my own deck. Second, I need to finish my boat.
So, I'm not shutting the door on helping someone, or advising someone. I'm not shutting the door on selling a finished product, but this will be in the future.
By the way, for your information and for those who may be reading this I soaked the piece to be embossed in a strong ammonia/water solution for two days. After that I press them to each other between the two boards.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:18 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
301 Posts
Neat idea OBW. I wish this method was around when I was scratch building mine. It sure beats the free hand method that I used. Looking good. Keep up the good work.
Doug
tinknocker is offline Find More Posts by tinknocker
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post
Neat idea OBW. I wish this method was around when I was scratch building mine. It sure beats the free hand method that I used. Looking good. Keep up the good work.
Doug
Doug:
Thanks for the compliment.
When I built my first 63, all eight pieces for the deck were perfectly embossed and perfect color/grain match. LUCKY????
By the way, I am looking at Saturday the 23rd as a time when we may come to see you ,your cohorts, and your pond. Will be in touch as time gets closer.
OBW
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:16 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilgewater View Post
Pete:
I would consider doing it for others, but this is very time consuming.
It does seem, though, that the most time consuming part is developing the 'tool'; i.e. the inlaying of the wires to make the patterns for your own boat. Once you have created the tools for all of your decks, it should take much less time to press out another set of decks for a willing buyer.

Just a thought. Love your ingenuity. "I love it when a plan comes together!"

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:19 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,023 Posts
Geez! Yer a pretty smart cookie old swamp sludge!

Seriously, that is completely awesome what you have done!

I did a little color correcting for you.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot