HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
Coming along just fine OBW. Glad to see that you will apply the diagonal planks at the bow rather than trying to sheet the whole side. The planks work much better. One problem that I found with my 63 was at the transome. A leak developed at the lower right hand corner after a few runs in the water. I sealed the leak with epoxy which worked fine but I would suggest paying particular attention to that area when gluing on the sheeting. Put a bead of glue along the seam on the inside. The transome is built so that you can't get into it after the model is complete so you need to do this before you close it up. If I built another of these models I would coat the inside of the transome area with epoxy liberally before I put the top deck on. Pete
Pete:
I appreciate all comments from everyone. The more the merrier.
Fortunately, on my 1961 build, I recognized this weak spot. I paid particular attention to it, and never had any leaks.
On this build I decided to attack the transom issue in an even more positive way.
Issue#1 on the pictures you will notice I put a 5/32" doubler on the kit's 1/8" H-14. This, plus filling in the"V" formed at the bottom with Bondo, gives me many, many times the bonding surface for my side sheeting.
Issue#2 The void between S-1, H-13, the transom and bottom sheet.
If you notice there are four quarter inch holes to "vent" this area or fill with epoxy. I have not decided which way I'll go.
As added insurance, note the horizontal slot in H-13 for the rudder linkage. It all adds up to insuring that no leaks occur but, if they do I have access plus ventilation.
Keeping in mind my name(OLDBILGEWATER), we'll have none of that in my ship son.
Thanks Pete

OBW
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 12:16 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
Providing drainage holes is a good idea but the way balsa sucks up water I'd still like to seal everything with epoxy inside the whole hull. MY 63 was the first RC kit of any kind for me. I did a lot of things wrong in building it that I know better about now. Sealing the complete insides with epoxy is a major thing I learned. So now I'm tellin' you OBG. Ha! Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old May 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Providing drainage holes is a good idea but the way balsa sucks up water I'd still like to seal everything with epoxy inside the whole hull. MY 63 was the first RC kit of any kind for me. I did a lot of things wrong in building it that I know better about now. Sealing the complete insides with epoxy is a major thing I learned. So now I'm tellin' you OBG. Ha! Pete
Pete: I get what you're saying, but let's just say if we have 100% seal on the inside, what happens if we get a pinhole leak in from the outside? Under those circumstances,my concern is the balsa would stay wet forever. I'm not trying to be argumentative Pete but the balsa would tend to rot.
Make no mistake, I share the same concern about the transom area. To make a short story long, I have started to look at this problem as not a leak problem but a balsa problem. A leak problem means to me that internal components would be damaged by water or at worst the boat would sink. If I look at the balsa as a problem. One might ask the question is there a way to seal this cellular structure so that water cannot wick into the wood.??
I thought I read in an article somewhere, not necessarily within modeling, that epoxy can be thinned very thin so that it can penetrate completely and still cure.The balsa would not accept water
If that is a valid thought I would like to have your or anyone's comment on that.

I welcome this forum for precisely this reason, intelligent exchange of ideas and information.

OBW
Old May 29, 2012, 03:36 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
Well OBG that's exactly what I do. I thin the epoxy in about half so it's like water and then paint it on the wood all over the insides. It will soak into the balsa and seal it permenantly. I even pour some in between the frames and roll the hull around so it gets into every nook and cranny. No boat that I have given this treatment ever has leaked. The two that I didn't do did leak but only a little bit. After the epoxy cures well ,you can then spray the insides with an appropriate color for that boat. Like the CC are all painted a redish color inside. Ya you do have to thin it out a bit though. Pete
Old May 29, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Pete: Again, thanks for the input. I think we are very much on the same page. Impregnating the balsa with thin epoxy is reassuring to me. Hell I even thought of using Thompson's water seal. Well it works on wooden decks doesn't it?

OBW
Old May 29, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Ambroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Yep! He's usin' AMBROID's alright!!! I'd recognize those orange lines anywhere - the man's a purest, lol!!

By the way, OBW, if you haven't seen it already, be sure to check out ClassicBoat's build thread of the 63
. Sorry for wasting all this space, but it is my build log. I just could not resist
Old May 29, 2012, 05:21 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
Thompsons is ok but it's a little oily. I don't think you will be happy with it and don't think you can paint over it. It dries out eventually so it has to be redone periodically. We used it on docks when I was in that business and it works well there but it's slippery at first and the wood rots away anyway after twenty years. Pete
Old May 30, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Well, I did think about Thompson's water seal, but didn't seriously consider using it.
I believe it's fair warning to all who may read here, that my sense of humor has been described as warped.
As an additional warning, if I describe something that's seems less than normal, it is probably not going to happen. However, if it seems really bizarre and offbeat, maybe it will happen.
I am not George Carlin, but for those who have found humor with him, read on and enjoy the pictures and the build. For those who found his humor distasteful, please just look at the pictures.

OBW.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:31 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
Old George was funny, Wierd but funny. Ha! Pete
Old May 31, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Let the planking begin

Yesterday morning I did six planks on each side. After the cement dried, I took a paint brush, with water, and wet the inside and outside of the planks. I feel this method relieves the stress, and allows the planks to warp to their new position. I feel this is much like"stress relieving"steel after welding various components together.
Ah, but who knows, who cares.
It just makes me feel good.
Last edited by oldbilgewater; May 31, 2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling under pic
Old May 31, 2012, 06:12 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,324 Posts
I always drench the inside of my boats with Smiths Penetrating Epoxy. It soaks in like water! I put it on all my wood structures. Even in a fiberglass hull, you should coat any wood interior parts.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...old+CPES+Epoxy
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old May 31, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollytime View Post
I always drench the inside of my boats with Smiths Penetrating Epoxy. It soaks in like water! I put it on all my wood structures. Even in a fiberglass hull, you should coat any wood interior parts.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...old+CPES+Epoxy
Thank you,sounds good,saved the link to favorites. I guess the Thompson water seal scared you into "saving my bacon" LOL

OBW
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Well OBG that's exactly what I do. I thin the epoxy in about half so it's like water and then paint it on the wood all over the insides. It will soak into the balsa and seal it permenantly. I even pour some in between the frames and roll the hull around so it gets into every nook and cranny. No boat that I have given this treatment ever has leaked. The two that I didn't do did leak but only a little bit. After the epoxy cures well ,you can then spray the insides with an appropriate color for that boat. Like the CC are all painted a redish color inside. Ya you do have to thin it out a bit though. Pete
PETE:
How do you thin your epoxy?? Alcohol ? Laquer thinner? Acetone ? CAPTAIN MORGAN??
I hope It's not CAPT.MORGAN,I just ran out this morning.

OBW
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Small catastrophe

As I was trying to finish up my side planking, I noticed, too late, that my sheer had a very pithy spot. About 1 1/4 inches of sheer was like a sponge on the outer edge only. Four planks were affected so as you can imagine, I had to scramble to put a doubler underneath, and correct as best I could.
I should get my side planking finished tomorrow.
In the meantime, I got some very positive results from my deck embossing.
I should have pictures up tomorrow of the side planking complete, and possibly start to show my insane method of copying Sterling's deck embossing.
OBW
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:36 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,992 Posts
Sounds good.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot