Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:53 PM
USA, FL, Bradenton
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
Discussion
Using CNC router to cut curve wings top and bottom surface make halfs

Thinking of a way to make a wing with curved surface top and bottom of it.
Im thinking to make two halfs and them glue the two together. I would do the
same for the fuselage so I could rounded sides and then glue the two halfs
together. I have some foam models that were made that way with the fuselage.
The wings could be hot wired but the CNC is more exact and can be do
more then one at a time on a 4x8 ft table.
videorov is offline Find More Posts by videorov
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:14 PM
Family, wind, snow & fun
Osburn Idaho
Joined May 2006
445 Posts
Cut cores from thin stock to leave minimum beds. Bag wings as usual but leave the weights on only the root area and elevate tip. Add partial weighting along wing to get proper curve. (do both wings at the same time to ensure symetry) or build a curved fixture to lay the whole set, bagged cores and beds, onto and add weight.
After its all cured your'e good to go.
Mtntop is offline Find More Posts by Mtntop
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:51 PM
USA, FL, Bradenton
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtntop View Post
Cut cores from thin stock to leave minimum beds. Bag wings as usual but leave the weights on only the root area and elevate tip. Add partial weighting along wing to get proper curve. (do both wings at the same time to ensure symetry) or build a curved fixture to lay the whole set, bagged cores and beds, onto and add weight.
After its all cured your'e good to go.
Thats good for doing the tips of the wings if you want them to bend up a little.
Im talking about the top and bottom surface of the wing to have a radius on the
top and the bottom. Sometimes I might just leave the bottom flat but other designs I might want to have both with a radius curve to them. From the leading edge back.

Good idea on the tips .
videorov is offline Find More Posts by videorov
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:24 PM
Family, wind, snow & fun
Osburn Idaho
Joined May 2006
445 Posts
Sorry. I miss understood what you were trying to accomplish. I thought you meant building a wing with elliptical polyhedral.
With thin wings you can bend the whole wing. 100" ws with 10" under tips.
Mtntop is offline Find More Posts by Mtntop