HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,043 Posts
The C rating is all the sugar and twice the caffeine.

The plastic liner of this cooler has a removable divider to separate it into two compartments. So when I carry the lunch box it keeps the lipos from piling up on top of each other.

And when I get to the field, I can separate the charged batteries from the ones with which I have already flown.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 03:28 PM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,058 Posts
Here's what I use.
tsymonds is offline Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old May 23, 2012, 03:33 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,104 Posts
I'm not sure that using anything made of 'normal' plastics is a good idea. In the event of a battery eruption, the plastic will also burn and release even more toxic fumes. I normally use these - the 'Lipo-Safe' from World Models.
GordonTarling is online now Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old May 23, 2012, 04:06 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
738 Posts
I did use an ammo box for a while. A friends overcharging accident made me even more cautious than I was! They look cool but they're really heavy

Now I just put them in a little plastic toolbox. I treat them carefully and so have not had a fire, and am confident they are quite safe if you know how to treat them.
SleepySean is online now Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old May 23, 2012, 04:19 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
The plastic compartment boxes I showed earlier in winter are COLD !! so when we have winter and temps are -10C etc. and lower - I have an insulated cool-bag that I bought in local supermarket for about $3 ....

I warm that up in the house ... the boxes are from inside house also so warm ... place them in bag ... zip up .....

Those packs stay OK all day ... I just make sure that I open just enough time to get what I need and close securely. I keep all in back of car out of the wind etc.

Am I concerned about fire and plastics ? Of course ... but like a box of matches - it takes an incident or mishap to have a situation. Careful, sensible use ......
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old May 23, 2012, 04:29 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,262 Posts
I just keep mine in a charging bag.
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
Old May 24, 2012, 06:17 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
You'all are very organised and avid. Mine are all in the plane when I WALK to the field.

With a bad shoulder it's hard to carry the TX and the plane while opening a gate. Sometimes I forget my battery hatch or my collar.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old May 24, 2012, 09:51 AM
lac superieur - chemin le pointe croix
Joined Apr 2008
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
So far it's been working out great:
Would you recommend separating your lipos with bologna in Texas toast, a plump pita, or lefse and Swiss cheese.
microwave is offline Find More Posts by microwave
Old May 25, 2012, 11:41 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,072 Posts
Lipo fire danger is the main reason to use any transport or storage container.
I understand the danger is real and you can't put the fire out once it starts
If you're using anything other than a lipo fire safe bag or vault you may as well put em in your pockets!?
Now, that may sound extreme but the danger is documented, in the car on the seat or in the back on the floor.... if they start fire.... the car will burn.
Be safe & get a couple of $12 bags. My 2 cents. Currently I bring about 12 batteries to the field in 2 fire safe lipo bags. Batteries are kept in the bags in the shade unless being used.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old May 26, 2012, 04:20 AM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
949 Posts
My lipo's are transported to the field in my planes ! So far, no problems yet however, I do check them a lot! How the motor sounds during the flight (if I can hear it!), IR reading with "Wayne's meter", checking voltage under load, how they balance during charging, look for puffing, ect....

Michael (if your not fryin, your not tryin!)
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old May 26, 2012, 10:24 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
Lipo fire danger is the main reason to use any transport or storage container.
I understand the danger is real and you can't put the fire out once it starts
If you're using anything other than a lipo fire safe bag or vault you may as well put em in your pockets!?
Now, that may sound extreme but the danger is documented, in the car on the seat or in the back on the floor.... if they start fire.... the car will burn.
Be safe & get a couple of $12 bags. My 2 cents. Currently I bring about 12 batteries to the field in 2 fire safe lipo bags. Batteries are kept in the bags in the shade unless being used.
Are you aware that a LiPo safe bag is NOT a total fire preventer ... it is a retarding device ?

Are you aware that a NiCD or NiMH cell can also burn through serious matter AND also destroy just as well ?

Are you aware that flares on ships / yachts etc. are carried in Poly containers and that the magnesium flares are also unable to be extinguished - even to the extent of burning UNDER water ....
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old May 26, 2012, 05:02 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,027 Posts
I like to use clear Plano boxes. They fit the batteries perfectly, and provide significant physical protection to the battery during transportation.

I understand the lipo bags, but unless they have pockets to keep the cells contained, I'd be concerned with possible physical damage (and the results of that damage) or discharge plugs making contact while loose in a bag.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99