SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
101 Posts
Discussion
2nd Build Maiden flight!

Hello!
After deciding that my plane was finally built i wanted to try it, so i went to a field near my house!
My build thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1636249

Maiden flight!
Maiden flight 2nd Build! (2 min 20 sec)
jototojo is offline Find More Posts by jototojo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
101 Posts
What do you think?
I realized after flying that the battery was taped on the fuselage and the tape came off, causing the battery to go backwards affecting dramatically the CG. So i think that's why it was so difficult to make it fly.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:17 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
I think you need to extend the wings on either side by 6 more inches, and add about 2 - 3 inches in width to the entire wing, that should give you more square inches of wing area which will give you more lift. It sounds like your motor is seriously struggling with the weight.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
101 Posts
Thank you dedStik! I really appreciate your comment!
I agree i have to make a bigger wing, but i think I'm done with this plane, I'll start building another one tomorrow and hopefully fly it around this days. I have to buy more propellers haha, i broke 3.
So, on Tuesday I'll fix the CG problem and try it for the last time, if it flies OK I'll keep it, if it doesn't I'll build another one!
Thank you!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
502 Posts
So far I will add that it's a good job thus far! I agree with dedStik on increasing the wing and the struggling motor. Looking at the vid, she will fly but needs a longer length of runway to build some speed and lift to help the struggling motor. You were giving elevator a little early when she didn't have that build up of speed and lift due to the thrust to weight ratio.

Go lighter if you can on your next build. If you have a weighing scale, check the All Up Weight (AUW) and see if that is within your motors thrust capability. I can see your improving with each build and now your armed with what problems you had from the last 2 builds, your next one will be better.

Whats really important here is that, tho your plane didn't fly well or stayed in the air enough to be totally happy about, you were smiling and had fun just doing what we see in the vid! Thats the important factor I find for having any kind of success in this hobby! Keep that attitude and smiles up and soon your planes will be up as well!!
timatworksg is offline Find More Posts by timatworksg
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
101 Posts
Thank you very much Tim!
I forgot to add that the plane weights 800gr, and the motor is made for 1kg! But I'll buy tomorrow a propeller that has more torque but less speed, more like a slow flyer.
And if the shop is open tomorrow, haha, i will be "flying" again on Tuesday, and i will film another video hopefully and trying my best to take all the advices you guys gave me!
Thanks!
Old May 02, 2012, 04:34 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,134 Posts
... nevermind ...
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old May 02, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
101 Posts
Ok...
Old May 02, 2012, 05:28 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,134 Posts
I was going to say that you are very tail heavy, but after looking at your build log I can see that you have many other problems. your fin and stab is way too small. Your airfoil shape looks very un-aerodynamic. The wing chord is too narrow making a very high aspect wing ratio that would have to be balanced perfectly to keep from stalling. Why don't you just start with a proven plane like the BluBaby or STC and learn to fly that before designing your own?
Old May 02, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
101 Posts
Thank you!
But I'm from Argentina, so finding those planes It's very difficult.
We can only get expensive trainers which are really expensive for their quality, not worth it.
So i thought that it would be fun to make one, and i couldn't stop so i made another one, and now I'm working on my third.
I'll take into account the recommendations!
Old May 02, 2012, 07:23 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,134 Posts
BluBaby and STC are foam planes made from free plans.
Old May 02, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Mar 2012
101 Posts
My bad, i understand you where meaning a built plane.
Unfortunately we don't have that blue foam, not even something similar.
Old May 03, 2012, 08:56 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
I've seen some of the foam you are using it looks like 6mm depron. If you can get depron foam you could substitute that for the blue foam.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old May 03, 2012, 09:53 AM
Argentina, Cordoba, Villa María
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Jototojo we do have something similar but you have to slice it to the thickness you need. I.E. i buy polifan, wich is extruded polistyrene, A.K.A. XPS, "depron".

I cut it at about 5mm or 3mm thick, and then make what i want. I´ve done a "totally scratch built trainer", and im maidening in a few days or hours.

I´ll see if i can make a video. Its totally done by me, no plans at all and was made "on live", meaning i designed it as i built it..

Ahora es español. Jototojo yo tambien soy de argentina mas precisamente de villa maría, córdoba y te queria comentar que algo similar al depron es el polifan. Lo usan para cortar letras corpóreas y hacer carteles. Se consigue en espesores de 20, 30, 40, y 50 mm (en mi caso), y de ahi lo podes rebanar al espesor que vos quieras. Las medidas de la plancha son de 1.25mx0.60m y en los espesores que te comente antes.

Yo me hice un trainer asi, que dicho sea de paso estoy proximo a probar.

Tienen razón los muchachos ahi, el cg se fue para atras mal, y el ala si podes hacerla con un poquito mas de superficie te va a ayudar a que vuele algo mas lento.
gonzalito is offline Find More Posts by gonzalito
Old May 03, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
101 Posts
Uh genial!
El primer avión que arme lo hice con polyfan, igual salio cualquier cosa, voló más que este pero era lo más casero que habia.
Tengo polyfan que me quedo pero no se con que cortarlo, es de 2cm o 20mm. Demasiado grueso. Si me podes ayudar para cortarlo te lo agradeceria.