SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Discussion
1/16 Scale Houses for my Heng Long Tanks

I have never done anything like this before, so here goes.

OK, here is what I do to kill the boredem in my life. I try to build 1/16 scale houses for my Heng Long Tanks. I use cardboard. I know some of you will say "a shoe box"? No, I saw those pictures with hole cut out of shoe boxes. My houses are different. I use 2 types of cardboard. I'll refer to them as 1-ply and 2-ply cardboard. The 1-ply will have one piece of honeycomb in the middle, while the 2-ply will have 2 pieces of honeycomb. I found that the 2-ply is great for the walls and the 1-ply is great for the roofs and floors. They are very easy to make. All you need is cardboard, balsa wood, a glue gun, a sharp knife, clear plastic, and paint. Where do you get this cardboard? The 2-ply cardboard is used to protect computers and electronic equipment during shipment. The company I work for just received new computers and the person in charge of them cannot understand who was cutting all the flaps off of his boxes. I have enough cardboard to keep me going for atleast a year.

The first couple of pictures are of the houses I am in the middle of building. They look like german shops on the market plazs. After I finish these houses I make sure to post updated photos. The soldiers in the pictures are 1/16 scale that I painted over the winter. I used them to give the builds some depth.

The second set of pictures are of another building I have completed a couple of weeks ago. Again I was going for the german style.

I do have more pictures of my tanks and buildings. I just want to see what kind of response I will get with these before making a bigger fool of myself.

I hope you enjoy them.

Bigjack
BigJack82 is offline Find More Posts by BigJack82
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
A fool? What do you mean? I don't see it that way, if you're talented and like what you do ... DO IT!! Not that I'm talented but I still build in 1/35th. There are just things in that scale that will never be in 1/16th so I like it. So that's how I kill the boredom in my life since I cannot be the weekend warrior I once used to be and building 1/16th scale tanks without battling them gets a bit expensive too.

The same with the buildings. Those look very good and wish I could do that, or at least know where to start. Although, I may only have room for one or two for my space is very small.

Cardboard is an excellent material to work with and there's plenty of it around so the cost factor is right there.

Maybe share with us a build blog from the beginning to see whats involved instead of just a finished project. It looks easier than working with Styrofoam and much less expensive too.

So no, I think you have a niche there so build on and thanks for sharing!

~ Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:39 PM
General of the Army
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
@BigJack82
There is no shame in using what-ever materials you have available to you to create something that you believe will enhance your experience when battling with your tanks, cardboard included. Besides, many people under estimate the many uses for cardboard which would normally be thrown in the trash without a second thought ... it's the duct tape of the paper world!

Even if you get some negative response or someone decides to call you a fool or bash your projects for what-ever their reasons might be, don't let it get you turned off to posting more of your work for those of us that absolutely appreciate *any* kind of dedication like this that you put into your hobby!

Now that's what I'm talking about ... really great stuff, & I'll bet it's not breaking your bank either. Walk a few yards back & I'll also bet it's difficult to even know what those buildings are made of anyway.

I'm glad you took some of us up on our request for you to post pics of your buildings ... if you end up doing some in 1/24 scale, post them as well, thanks.

Just keep them coming please, & don't forget your tanks!
badassforce is offline Find More Posts by badassforce
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Thanks guys. I love building these houses. As I tell my wife "it keeps me out of the Gentlemen's clubs". I also been thinking about building a 1/24 scale house. Now that I have 1/16 and 1/24 scale RC Tanks. My Panzer IV was delivered on Friday and I love it. My M26 will be delivered tomorrow and then I can see how they battle.

Thanks again and I will keep you updated with my progress.

Bigjack
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:07 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Figure out a way to fold 'em for shipping and you might have a nice little enterprise there.

I wouldn't mind having one.

~ Jeff
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Jeff

I have been trying to figure out how to break these buildings down for storage as well. They take up so much room that I have to stack them on top of one another.

Bigjack
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:15 PM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJack82 View Post
Jeff
I have been trying to figure out how to break these buildings down for storage as well. They take up so much room that I have to stack them on top of one another.
Bigjack
he he , I think it's kinda easy to get so caught up with the designing, building, & making them sturdy enough to withstand at least some abuse while they still look great from the outside (as images of using them in battles are dancing through your head), that one can forget about designing them to be really easy to break down & store as well after the battles are over.

I was always amazed by many club's battlefield buildings, like F.R.A.G.,T.A.A.,D.A.K. & many others, with all the intricate detailing, & have always wanted to have some myself, but I really don't have the extra cash for the wood & materials, nor enough time, tools, or required modelers touch to actually make such fantastic life-like accessories with the kinds of materials those guys use, & do it all by myself.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am in no way demeaning your accomplishments or modeling skills, but I have been inspired by your pics using cardboard to make buildings, as it seems more of a material I will actually have enough skill to handle, as well as be able to afford , when compared to the skills,materials, & cost the likes of those other club's members have used; so now I too will, at some point in time (hopefully soon), begin trying to build some European buildings for my own 1/24 scale battles which I hope to have some day with the club I am trying to start up now. I know it isn't going to be as easy as just slapping some cardboard together with tape, but I believe your inspiration has given me hope that I can create a building from cardboard that can look really good for a tank battle day.

I assume you are gluing all the walls together leaving you no way to separate them without cutting?

For my first attempt I will probably stagger several heavy straws or tubes glued down the inside edges on the boundary of every wall. When the walls are pushed together to form the building corners, the staggered tubes from opposing walls should then line up perfectly so I can then slide a rod down through them from top to bottom, effectively inter-locking the walls together ... yet still be very easy to pull the rods out for disassembly of the unit ... at least that's the current plan.

Now I just need to find some heavy enough cardboard stock to try it out for myself. Thanks for the inspiration BigJack82, & keep your photos coming!

Regards,
Craig
Last edited by badassforce; Apr 30, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Hopefully this weekend I can get some more pictures out of the finished houses. I painted the roofs yesterday and of course the rains came in today. I think this weekend it is suppose to be nice.

Tom
Old May 11, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
This weekend I am also planning to tackle the problem with how to break down a house for storage. I am going to do a 1/24 scale building first, smaller size.

Tom
Old May 11, 2012, 08:05 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
I'm thinking a cloth hinge would do the trick. Just glue it inside and maybe have a narrow piece of balsa wood to brace it while in use.

No charge for the idea!

~ Jeff
Old May 11, 2012, 11:56 PM
Escondido, California
Joined Apr 2007
925 Posts
Excellent buildings, very realistic looking. I like Jeff's idea of some kind of hing and fold it down. David in our club uses magnets to hold the whole thing together, but he is using a heavier material. Keep up the good work and do share a tutorial if you can, and bring then to the battle next weekend!

Phil
Blitzkrieg65 is offline Find More Posts by Blitzkrieg65
Old May 12, 2012, 07:32 AM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Thanks guys

I was also thinking about using magnets, but will now see if hinges would work.

Tom
Old May 12, 2012, 08:43 AM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
GREAT idea Phil on the magnets!

Some of the weaker ones that are sold in the clothing material stores should do the trick. They even make some adhesive/tape magnets too that are very thin.

~ Jeff
Old May 13, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Well, I have finished the two houses. I dropped one so it nicked that wood. But all in all they look great.

Enjoy.

Tom
Old May 13, 2012, 02:54 PM
General of the Army
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJack82 View Post
Well, I have finished the two houses. I dropped one so it nicked that wood. But all in all they look great.

Enjoy.

Tom
I mean seriously, who wants a perfectly pristine house sitting around a tank battlefield anyway, I guess we can call that "battle damage", right?

I would even bet if you had a few more, nicks, scrapes, & some well placed burn marks, no-one here would see that as a negative. Maybe the occasional "accident" is sometimes a good thing when it comes to battlefield diorama accessory making.

They look great BigJack!

Regards,
Craig