HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:32 PM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
I found a photo of the 588 boat that might help, they are sitting in the racks that sit on top of the ready box.
PT-333 is offline Find More Posts by PT-333
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:46 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Thank you. It does show the mags sit on the platforms on the box. It also seems to show they are held in place by a clip that attaches to the top center of the magazine.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:52 PM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
I never noticed that before, let me keep digging in my books, maybe I can get a clearer photo for you, talk to you later, Ken V
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:22 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Jul 2012
16 Posts
i am not sure to hold on and build my Pt boat or to sell the Dumas kit?
lotsasteam is offline Find More Posts by lotsasteam
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:44 PM
oldtribefan
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined May 2007
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsasteam View Post
i am not sure to hold on and build my Pt boat or to sell the Dumas kit?
I am not sure I would EVER want to build a PT boat after seeing what Gravman is doing with his boat!! It could never approach his incredible work and detail!
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:28 AM
Joined May 2012
192 Posts
Absolutely !!! Gravman is an amazing builder, putting tons of home made detail into every inch of his boat,but do not be disuaded to build yours . The beauty of the PT boat is that no two are truly the same . This being due to the remarkable men that crewed these craft, whom in their own ways modified a weapon here a box there a board on this repair or even a large modification like removing torpedoes and adding depth charges. Build your boats ! Post those builds ! I bet gravman will enjoy those threads as much as you enjoyed his !!!
PTman is offline Find More Posts by PTman
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:09 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
That is very true. That is one of the reasons I like building it. There are no two boats the same. They were all different and were changed all the time. One of the reasons I take a lot of pictures is to show how I did things so that other folks can get ideas about how to build their boats. I always learn new things from what other builders have done. Does not matter what skill level you have post what you have built. The more you build the better you will get. My boat is a long way from the level of some of the other fine boats being built here. They are done to a standard by builders who take it to the max. They are very skilled and the models they produce are works of art. I know I will never build to the same degree of detail that they do but it does not matter. Build it and show it. Be proud of what you made. Not many people take the time to make something anymore. We are builders,that makes us special.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:19 PM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravman View Post
That is very true. That is one of the reasons I like building it. There are no two boats the same. They were all different and were changed all the time. One of the reasons I take a lot of pictures is to show how I did things so that other folks can get ideas about how to build their boats. I always learn new things from what other builders have done. Does not matter what skill level you have post what you have built. The more you build the better you will get. My boat is a long way from the level of some of the other fine boats being built here. They are done to a standard by builders who take it to the max. They are very skilled and the models they produce are works of art. I know I will never build to the same degree of detail that they do but it does not matter. Build it and show it. Be proud of what you made. Not many people take the time to make something anymore. We are builders,that makes us special.
So true AND well said.
OBW
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:12 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
If you ever watch the coverage of Top Gun (the R/C competition not the awful movie) competitors are required to submit a book with verification of the time period for that specific aircraft they are modelling. The research is actually counted as part of the score for the show. For a PT (which could be changed at a moments notice (pt crews were pretty self sufficient) that would be a real bear unless you have a a total set of photos and plans for a boat at a specific time.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:20 PM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
I found some photos of what we were talking about last night. They are from the David Doyle book Elco 80-Foot PT Boat/ On Deck series, it has some great research material. The pin in the center of the magazine is used to tighten the mag to 60lbs of tension. The mags just sit on top of the rack with one of the handles sticking through (there is a handle on each side of the magazine) when action-ready, otherwise they would be stowed away in the ready box.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:26 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
That is pretty clear and thanks for posting the pics. Those are handles in the first photo you sent. If you look very close you can just make out the shape. Great now I know what to add to the magazines. Thank you for the help
Last edited by Gravman; Jan 21, 2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Changed response
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:42 PM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
If you look at the third photo on the top row, it may just be the part that slips into the reciever, it looks like a clamp from that angle. Besides one of the biggest taboos is leaving your ammo out in the weather if it is not needed (non-action ready state). Having a clamp on the magazine when it should be stowed away, seems to me to be counter-productive especially at night with low light conditions. What do you think?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
You are right, in combat at night you would not want to deal with a hold down clamp.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:57 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Today I finished installing the latches on the 20mm ready service lockers. I decided that I wanted to add some magazines to the top of the boxes. I got some nice holders for them from PT 333, thanks Ken. I was thinking that I needed 3 mags and I could use the part that came with the 20mm gun kit to make a mold or as a guide to make others. No problem right? Well I go to the parts bags and get the 20 mm gun kit out and guess what? If you guessed the magazine was missing please step forward and collect your prize. The bag had a nice hole where the mag had been pushed through from the inside. All the other parts are too large for the hole.. Yes my own fault for not checking before now but I did not. I expected I guess to get the parts I needed to build that gun...Now I know I will be criticized for bashing this fine collection of parts but it is not unreasonable to expect that inspections would have been done BEFORE it was sent to the customer...Like I said I should have checked when I got the parts and I am now out of luck...oh well all is not lost. I will get a chance to build some new ones and they will probably be lighter in weight.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:29 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,191 Posts
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.