HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:17 AM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
You bet I am. I was just bumed out by the way I had built the mast. I am working on the new version today. I am building the jig right now and I hope to have the legs built by the end of the day. It goes a little faster the second time. Thanks for watching.
Gravman is online now Find More Posts by Gravman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:37 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,280 Posts
Gravman you'll never regret doing it again. I had to start my TID again because I didn't lilke the wood I had used and STARTED all over again - I know Tim I haven't worked on her in a while But the 2nd version is so much better. If we're lucky our models will long outlive us - like a few being updated around the forum now. So it's well worth the time.
Rmay is online now Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:19 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,839 Posts
I spent a good modeling evening making the top of my vesuvius's stack curved with a raised edge, just like the two sheets of original shipyard plans showed.. a week later I recieved a good photo that showed it was just flat!! four hours of work met the sanding block and disappeared into dust..
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:34 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,934 Posts
PT Boats At Pearl Harbor On 7 December 1941

PT Boats At Pearl Harbor On 7 December 1941

According to an after-action report dated 12 December 1941 from the commanding officer of PT Squadron One to the Commander of the Pacific Fleet. Six of the squadron’s boats were moored together at Berth S-13 at the Submarine Base. The other six boats from the squadron were on board the USS Ramapo awaiting transportation. Other boats were docked next to a barge where their crews were eating breakfast. These boats were in three nests of two boats each.

The squadron duty officer, an Ensign named N.E. Ball said that he was standing with a Chief Petty Officer on the barge when the Japanese attacked. When he saw the first bombs explode, he gave the order to man the guns. The air compressors that ran air to the twin .50 caliber machine gun turrets were started and the guns were fired at the attackers. It has been confirmed that the PT boats were the first vessels at Pearl Harbor to fire back at the Japs.

It is claimed that PT-23 was responsible for shooting down the first Jap torpedo bomber of the war. Witnesses are said to have seen the plane burst into flames and crash near Halawa.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
How about that! I had no idea there were PT boats involved at Pearl. Thanks for the information Tim. Those 50's could chew up attacking aircraft that is for sure. They sure caught us by surprise but like Yamato said, it filled the US with a terrible resolve.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:58 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,934 Posts
Pearl PT's

All they could do was sit there and fire !

The account I read reported the were all tied up and out of fuel, couldnt move at all, just sat there and tried to take out as many dirtballs as possible.

Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
MK II Mast

I built a new mast starting from scratch with new jigs to help me. I did not take you along because you had seen much of it before. The mast cap proved to be the most difficult to construct. The first cap skirt was out of styrene but it did not hold its curved shape properly. I tore it off the mast and replaced it with pieces of brass tubing which I cut to shape. These held the curve and were a better fit.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:33 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,839 Posts
looks like great stuff from an experienced craftsman .. experience is what you get when get something you didn't want the time before!!!
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
True that. I will be very experienced by the time this mast is done.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
1,005 Posts
Well then, welcome to the ever expanding group of very experienced modelers from another with a lot of experience. Unfortunately without your talent.

Herman
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:46 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,934 Posts
Super clean work, you clearly have the right tools, skills and patience !
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,573 Posts
Quote:
I am glad it is done and that I made the changes.
Knew you would!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
Looks great John!

Hey I sent the plans back out to you on Saturday, thanks so much for your help and letting me use those.
LONGBIKE is online now Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Thanks Guys, glad you like it. No problem Jeff, I was glad I could help.