HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:40 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,381 Posts
#1 !

This is scale model fabrication at it's BEST !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:35 AM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,642 Posts
Radar Mast

Ok guys here is what I have discorved. The mast I have built is wrong. The problem came to light at last when I went to fit the "acorn" to the top of the mast. It was right in front of me but I just did not see it. The mast that I built does not have enough taper from top to bottom. The mast cap is too large. If you look at the photos you can see that the "acorn" is larger and overhangs the top of the mast cap at the stern. When I got to really looking at other pictures you can see that the SO-3 masts have a good amount of taper and the cap at the top is much smaller than what I have on my mast.....

When I set up the mast for pictures I realized that the cap was too big. I bet some of you sharp eyed watchers had already noticed the taper was not correct. OK that is water under the bridge. I now need to decide what to do. I can keep it as is which would be the easy thing to do. I can rip it all apart and try and save some of the parts or I can start over from scratch and build it again.

The other option is to put this build aside and start something new. The problem with that is based on my past history I will seldom work on a project again once I start something new.

Sometimes I wonder how I manage to feed myself. It was all there in the pictures if I had only really looked. My problem is that I look but I fail to see.

I am going to think on this awhile.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:12 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,763 Posts
razor saw a slice out of the mast cap and the crossmember, glue together, add filler , sand again to final shape, with all the other details no one will notice, but if done correctly there will be nothing to notice(you will do it so there is nothing to notice..) still looks great!!!
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Last edited by tghsmith; Dec 05, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined May 2012
175 Posts
Grav , Don't go nuts man ! Just cut out your top crossmember and shorten your X support legs for the sharper taper . Reglue X support legs , make new cross support , and that leaves only your acorn base to be recreated . Something that your more than capable hands can do in no time . Don't feel defeated/deflated because of this little hiccup .... Carry on my man ....
PTman is offline Find More Posts by PTman
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,522 Posts
DO NOT LEAVE US NOW
G-man, sit back pour a short one (or four) take your TIME (remember TMT) It's not like you are not capable.

OBW
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:28 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,814 Posts
Easy solution:

Pack up the whole kit and kaboodle and ship it to me. Then you can start something new.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:44 PM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,080 Posts
or me
Browndog is offline Find More Posts by Browndog
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:28 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Don't give up now. This is going to be awesome. Push through the disappointment! When you finish it you'll be glad you did.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:51 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,763 Posts
I going to rivet count seeing you are putting all the rivets there, mast top a little smaller, acorn a little longer and pointed on the back end..
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:17 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,805 Posts
Second time around always comes out much better.

Besides, you will always have that 'mistake' stuck in your mind and it will bug you.
ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:18 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,814 Posts
GPR had to pull up the whole deck on Thunderbird when he realized he did it wrong. In the long wrong he said he was glad he did.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,642 Posts
Yes that is true, I am going to start making the changes tomorrow. Thanks guys for all the input. The second time is always easier and the finished part is most likely to be better.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:06 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,631 Posts
Whew!! As I read down he page I was afraid we'd loose you, Gravman!! Thank goodness you are hanging in there. I look forward to seeing more of your most excellent work as well as learning from your demonstrated skill with great anticipation.

ps - what all the other guys said as well!!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:11 AM
New Zealand, Tasman, Motueka
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
I've been away for a couple of days (and off away again in the morning) so i don't log on every day but when I read about your disappointment and that you were thinking of dropping the build -- well my heart just sank. Gavman I don't know if you realise how much I look forward to reading about what you are doing. It provides inspiration and advice to those of us that can only wish we could do the fine work you are turning out.
I am sure that your log is followed by more than just us registered groupies -- and I bet that every one feels as I do.
Please do carry on
GregSpooner is offline Find More Posts by GregSpooner