HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,450 Posts
Having watched/read about the TopGun guys (who are just this side of OCD) you have to choose a specific time period, and craft to do exactly that, freeze that moment in the life of that object (boat, tank, aircraft, whatever). If something is changed 15 seconds after that moment then drive on and know that you did your absolute best AT THAT MOMENT!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:48 AM
New Zealand, Tasman, Motueka
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
equip box platform

hi gavman
curious to know how you made the structure that box sits on, the one you are using with the more rounded cnrs and the one you started with?
fantastic work BTW
GregSpooner is offline Find More Posts by GregSpooner
Last edited by GregSpooner; Nov 21, 2012 at 02:49 AM. Reason: added more
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
GS, I started with a square box of styrene. I added the side pieces and then sanded the outside corners round with a drum sander mounted in my small drill press. I used a small dowel wrapped with sandpaper to get the curves in the side pieces. When I changed the part I glued 1/4in styrene pieces to the inside corners and used a smaller drum in my drill press to sand the inside curve, I also thinned the thickness of the sides at that time. I did not make two of these I just changed the first part to better match the pictures.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:26 AM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
Gravman, the mast looks fine. and speaking about making extra parts, I have extra mounts for your 20MM mags. They are mounted on top of ammo boxes and are used to hold the mag while the tensioning each mag. If you like just PM me with your address and I will send you some.

And have a great Thanksgiving, Ken V.
PT-333 is offline Find More Posts by PT-333
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:47 AM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
This is a photo of the 20MM racks that I was talking about.
PT-333 is offline Find More Posts by PT-333
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:41 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,450 Posts
I will withhold my personal opinion of the second coming of MacArthur and just say that Admiral Bulkeley richly deserved the Medal of Honor he received for a great act of seamanship and bravery. I knew a couple PT vets (and loved to hear their sea stories) from the war. I am still enjoying your build.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:06 AM
New Zealand, Tasman, Motueka
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
[ I did not make two of these I just changed the first part to better match the pictures

Thanks for that-- I will have to chase down supplies of different shaped styrene down here in kiwiland and have a go at this stuff.
GregSpooner is offline Find More Posts by GregSpooner
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Radar Mast

One of the prominent features on the mast are the cables which run up the sides of the mast legs. These cables are held in place by clips which are clearly shown in the photos. These would seem to be simple enough to make, but for me they proved to be a real challenge. First I tried to make a U-shaped channel out of styrene and then cut the clips off the strip. This did not work as the saw destroyed the styrene pieces. Next I cut the clips out of brass channel. This seemed to work until I tried to get them to be uniform in size as they fit over the wires. The channel I had would work for a pair of wires but I did not have anything that would work for 3 wires in brass. After a lot of trial and error I finally came up with a jig that allowed me to make the 3 sizes of clips that I needed. It is always the simple things that seem to cause me the most trouble.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Radar Mast

I trimmed the clips down and did a trial fit to the mast leg. Not too bad. Once I get it fastened to the leg I will add the little pieces to the side of each clip.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,592 Posts
More mind boggling stuff from Gravman!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:40 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Dis iz what scale modeling is all about!!! Cudos to Gravman for setting such a fine example for the rest of us to aspire to!

This just became a must see thread.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Nov 26, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:06 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
I'm getting dizzy.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:12 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,948 Posts
Lookin like the finished model will be Bristling with detail but not overboard~
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Radar Mast

Made a little more progress on the mast today. I added the attachment points to the wire clips. I fastened the assembly to the leg of the mast and added the wires going around the bottom of the mast leg.