HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:42 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,540 Posts
Shutting down this build thread would be backing away from another persons problem.You caused no problems.
I made my comment about the radar mast,and rank amateur that I am did not accept that as a normal salvagable part.Carry on GRAV it would be a disservice to those who are learning many things from you.
OBW
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:42 PM
Istanbul / TURKEY
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
(I wrote full pages of bla bla bla - throw it out - nonsense)

Grav, keep goin on your highly talented build. there are many PT's but yours is tailormade...

Frank, I do not know you, we are all getting elder, this hobby needs all the efforts to keep alive, do not take your hand out...

keep goin and rollin - good luck
Melih PEKOL is offline Find More Posts by Melih PEKOL
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:37 PM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Oh come on now! Since when, has a modeler who wants good products and decides to scratch build because the currently available parts are not up to his standards, been held accountable for someone closing up their business? That's just nonsense. I should have so much power over someone!

From the posts of people knowledgeable about FMBH business climate, along with the economy in general, it seems pretty clear to me that unfortunate as it is Frank decided to close up long before Gravman started this build thread.

Go look through some other various build threads, by the most talented builders here, and you will see many 'complaints' about the kit supplied product and how it had to be compensated for, or just trashed altogether and another made from scratch. Did it cause other vendors to decide to close business? No!

Gravman is not responsible for the current state of affairs of anyone. He has simply risen to the challenge of building a high quality model boat and has come to realize skills and talents he never knew he had. We should all be applauding him.

Gravman, do not shut down this build thread. It has been and will continue to be an incentive to others to do better, and to also rise to the challenge of making better parts.
I agree.

Kip
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, CA, Downey
Joined Jun 2005
1,807 Posts
I do not think he should close this thread, (And that would not change a thing) one should build your model and build it to "your" best ability but never belittle another's efforts. Maybe one can make it better, well then do so and YOU SHOULD, but not at another expense.

This is an incredible build and Gravman should continue to build it to his exacting standards, I was amazed at all the detail and effort at crafting the Individual parts. I love to see how others have done there builds.... It inspires me and it all help to make us better builders.

Jcopter
Jcopter is offline Find More Posts by Jcopter
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:28 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,296 Posts
I agree to.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:59 AM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
998 Posts
I will put my two cents in also to keep the thread going. I have one of Franks PBR's and love it, and am sorry he is closing. That is his decision, yours is to build your boat to your specifications and abilities. Keep it up so that I can learn more also.

Herman
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:15 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,449 Posts
I have been thinking about this thread and I realized, except for some very very (maybe two sentences and a couple of pics) minor comments GravMan has said very much about FMBH or their products. Just that he thought he could do better (hasn't everyone thought that about some product once in their lives?), and proceeded to build something(s) that were up to his more exacting standards. He has done some research to enable this, and even used Frank's parts for reference (leading me to believe that for a lot of people they would have been just fine). How many times have you read articles about someone 'super-detailing' some model or other with after marked parts? If Revell ever got upset about someone buying a sheet of P-E parts for a cockpit of an F-4 phantom do you think they will go out of business? Frank has not said that, nor has Gravman! We have all seen Frank's stuff posted hear and Grav has just taken this build to a level beyond the parts that Frank sold him.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:27 AM
Chris Craft Corvette
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2006
209 Posts
I think that if Frank at MBH spent the time the build his parts to Gravman's super high standards, they would be so expensive because of the time involved that his sales would be so low as to not be able to support a business effort. He makes some great parts that are an improvement over the kit parts and help us all improve our boats. Frank has hit the magic happy medium of price and quality to make his parts available to us all so we may improve what we got in our kits.
Dick
42Corvette is offline Find More Posts by 42Corvette
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:06 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,251 Posts
Mbh

I agree with the above comments. Looking at Franks website

http://www.franksmosquitoboathobbies.com/intro.htm

– just an example a 1/12 scale Swift boat, hull – superstructure and fittings kit all for $459, not bad! At best a quality control issue when sending out parts, but we’re not talking “Fine Arts” quality at those prices. Frank I hope you keep your shop going!

But in the bigger picture this build thread is starting to look like one of my build threads - lots of text and not too many pictures. Please more education Gravman, we need updates

Oh and yes there should be updates on my TID this week
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:16 AM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Radar Mast

All, I want to say thank you to all the folks who have contacted me to say they want me to continue with this thread. After hearing from all these builders I've decided to continue to post pictures here. Initially I was going to stop posting and just continue with the build off line. After getting so much support I felt like it would be better to continue.

Like I have said before, the parts from MBH can be used as is to improve the Dumas model. You can build a fine late war boat using these parts right out of the bag. Frank has made these parts to allow us to add details and not have to do all the work to get them. I am using and will continue to use these parts for this build. In some cases, I have just made the part lighter and in other cases, I have modified them slightly. I'm sure as I go along I will continue to add his parts to this boat.

I hope that Frank decides to continue with MBH. We need all the parts suppliers that we can get.

For the mast I will be using a combination of Frank's parts and scratch built parts. Using this combination of pieces I am going to try to produce a passable copy of a late war radar mast.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:17 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmay View Post
Oh and yes there should be updates on my TID this week

Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:23 AM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,513 Posts
Thanks John, way to go!!
LONGBIKE is offline Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,083 Posts
I Agree!

Keep your build posted, as I am sitting on a 1/24th, Midwest boat, already hacked on, for a MAJOR upgrade. I was not able to get any parts before, JOHN HAYNES, closed down. I can make my own parts, and masters, but have been checking out what you are doing. CB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:55 PM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
I have four boats from MBH and have modified them all to my own liking. I know there is and has been problems with getting good vendors, unfortunatly that is part of model building. I hate to see the economy claim another company but the truth is that fewer people are interested in this hobby.

Gravman, keep the thread alive, I enjoy seeing you make that boat your own.

Frank, thank you for your kits and posting my boats on your website.

Ken V
PT-333 is offline Find More Posts by PT-333