HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:16 PM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,513 Posts
I myself get a much better satisfaction out of making a part from scratch to replace a piece that came with the kit that is unusable. They always look more cleaner and sharper and you feel like you really accomplished something. This is going to be a really nice boat grav!
LONGBIKE is offline Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:08 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmot View Post

i get the feeling that if the radar parts came out of the bag in perfect shape, you would have somehow been disappointed!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:55 PM
Daly City, CA
Joined Mar 2004
46 Posts
I have a Dumas 48" PT boat fiberglass hull that was never used. I was going to auction it off at the San Francisco Model Yacht Club swap meet tomorrow, but then I found this build thread. Is anyone here interested? The hull is undamaged, and I'll ship it at the buyer's expense. Open to offers.

Rob
rwood is offline Find More Posts by rwood
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:13 AM
New Zealand, Tasman, Motueka
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwood View Post
I have a Dumas 48" PT boat fiberglass hull that was never used. I was going to auction it off at the San Francisco Model Yacht Club swap meet tomorrow, but then I found this build thread. Is anyone here interested? The hull is undamaged, and I'll ship it at the buyer's expense. Open to offers.

Rob
Is it just the hull or is the deck included?
GregSpooner is offline Find More Posts by GregSpooner
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:49 AM
Daly City, CA
Joined Mar 2004
46 Posts
This is only the hull and the stand.

Rob
rwood is offline Find More Posts by rwood
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Dec 2010
3 Posts
Late war PT Boat

Hi Everyone
Frank here from Mosquito Boat Hobbies . The radar mast is a copy or H-R products late war mast you were lucky to get one , I had a good one that was five years old and that one was the best one out of the mold. Noe fore the rest of the kit all the parts were good castings there were no air pocket on the parts . This build and vendor problems i closed down the business you do not compare my parts to yours i have customers call me about my castings are they the right scale .
Can i ask you why did you buy the kit if were going to build the parts yourself i would have had my boat in the water . I do not post on the web but this one was a must.
Thanks guy for all the business .
Frank DiMeglio
Frank's Mosquito Boat Hobbies
elcoptboat is offline Find More Posts by elcoptboat
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Frank, I am very sorry to know that one of the reason's you closed your shop was because of this build. It was never my intent to cause you to close. I bought your fittings to build a better PT boat. I watched the on line video and I wanted to have a boat just like that one. When I orderd the parts from you I had a pretty much normal life. I had a job that demanded most of my time. I had only a small amount of time to devote to building models and that is why I got your parts. The major work was done. Shortly after I got the parts from you I found out that my plant was closing and after 35 years I was out of work. It did not take long to realize that folks my age do not get hired. The plants want younger people. OK I decided to start the PT project and all of a sudden I had what I never had before. I had time. I had time to devote to a project and not just get it done ASAP.

The parts you provided would have been fine for what I did before. I have said several times in this build that they were fine if you wanted to build them as is. That is still true. In my old life I would have been happy to have used them to get the boat in the water quickly. I did not intend to cause problems for you I only sought to improve them because I had the time to do so.

I will close this thread if that will enable you to start selling your products again. I would be happy to share my molds with you to produce new parts if that would help you.

I'm grateful for your parts as they have guided me in what I have done. This is just a model and I do not want it to be the cause of you shutting down MBH.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Last edited by Gravman; Nov 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,513 Posts
Frank our good friend, please don't close up shop! we need you!

Please look at the complaints and grips on this forum about your fittings as a way to learn how to make your business better and produce the best fittings out there that really nobody else can or will make, re-tool and make new molds use a vacuum chamber to remove the air bubbles in the resin so many ways to improve and if you cant make the molds for any reason Im sure a bunch on here including myself would love to make up molds for you so you can continue the business.
Please don't give up because of a few complaints on here, really that is how we learn where to improve and become better at what we do, kinda like running a boat as hard as we can to find the the weak spots so I can build it better and stronger to be the best.

Dont give up Frank we need you!
Jeff
LONGBIKE is offline Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:15 AM
United States, CA, Downey
Joined Jun 2005
1,810 Posts
I'v been reading this thread since I first spotted it, and since I was building a pt boat and I know frank, I was eager to watch this build, and since I was familiar with FMH and knew the parts I knew it would build a great boat. Now I am kinda bias cus I do know frank but I also think that after my years of building in this hobby I am fair. Now having said that I do think that if you go back and re- read some of your posts you will find that you did bash franks parts.
I have built many models and I could not have built them without franks parts, some need to be worked but this is the hobby, parts need to be conformed & worked to one own needs. and even with all the bad parts that were from the venders with some work I have mede them into fine scale models. And I for one was grateful for the parts, as without FMH there would be none available. So maybe you can spend hours & hours building the roll of racks ( Which are Killer) most cannot, so it is directly related to how much time and you are willing to get a part to scale, Most of the custom parts that you made could never be made for production. A lot of people are following your thread, and yes you are building an amazing Custom model with a gazillion hours into it, and yes I do wish I had all the custom made parts for my model, but that is not to be.... So I will build with what is available and work the parts to get them acceptable and I for one consider myself lucky that I was able to get what parts I could from Frank as he has helped me to build a better model than I ever could from scratch. So Hey Gravman look back and see how your thread influenced others, many have chimed in to say many things about the parts and they are going by what you posted
did you ever give frank a call about the quality? I know that he would have gone out of his way to help you/replace the items or refund your money, cus he is that kind of guy.
So this is just my 2 cents and I proud of the models that I build using his parts.
Jcopter
Jcopter is offline Find More Posts by Jcopter
Last edited by Jcopter; Nov 11, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:30 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravman View Post

I will close this thread if that will enable you to start selling your products again. I would be happy to share my molds with you to produce new parts if that would help you.

I'm grateful for your parts as they have guided me in what I have done. This is just a model and I do not want it to be the cause of you shutting down MBH.
Gravman, please dont close this thread, that wont help anyone.

These are tough times for alot of viewers and this build is something folks can look forward to seeing, it encourages others to continue being creative and constructive.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:32 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,087 Posts
Gravman

You are not the only reason, just one of many. As several of us that know Frank, have said, the non availability, of good weapons, has played a big factor in this decision. As for trying to stretch the life of his molds, it costs THOUSANDS of dollars, in RTV, and other materials, every time he redoes, all of his molds. If he changed them out, every time they started to wear, the kits would probably cost, 2-4 times, what he has been charging. Also, in the last few years, he has had, VERY FEW, kit orders. So, from HIS point of view, shutting down, was the ONLY, common sense, thing to do. Hopefully, this answers some of the remaining, "WHY", questions.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:38 AM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined May 2012
78 Posts
I am also following along here as my first R/C model when I was a ten year old kid was a Dumas PT109 and that was quite a few years ago (took me over a year to build and was a real bad looking build too as it was my first ever!). I had longed for better detail and better scale information as I gained experience and age. I was so disappointed in the Dumas kit that I called them directly in the early 90's to try and get a better model made which they took my paint suggestions and eventually must have heard enough complaints to make some incremental improvement in their kits. My skill set is not anywhere close to that of you guys and so I need someone like Frank's that has an eye for detail that can get the job done for my builds. I know how bad this economy is and back before 9/11 I did purchase a model boat company from a fellow in Grand Rapids Michigan and tried to make a go of it. I tried to get this off the ground and even took on a mold build of a PT 103 series early Elco that was 5' in length and around 15" in beam. After 9/11 my model boat "business partner" apparently disappeared from sight along with that mold and all the cabin molds down in Georgia. 9/11 was the first hit for the hobby and then everything seemed to suddenly come from China fully built which fully killed off my business. This is a tough business and I can feel for Frank. I wish that I could get a decent PT boat hull, cabin parts and fittings to make a nice rendition again and I do not see anyone that makes a decent kit of any type.

Frank, don't give up if you can. Keep up your good work and the rest will follow. Thank you for your inspirations too over the last decade for me.
GSPI is offline Find More Posts by GSPI
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, CA, Downey
Joined Jun 2005
1,810 Posts
You can still place an order
he has some glass hulls and the cabins left
if he has the parts he will fill the orders
till all the parts are gone, better hurry!!!
Jcopter
Jcopter is offline Find More Posts by Jcopter
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:26 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,327 Posts
Oh come on now! Since when, has a modeler who wants good products and decides to scratch build because the currently available parts are not up to his standards, been held accountable for someone closing up their business? That's just nonsense. I should have so much power over someone!

From the posts of people knowledgeable about FMBH business climate, along with the economy in general, it seems pretty clear to me that unfortunate as it is Frank decided to close up long before Gravman started this build thread.

Go look through some other various build threads, by the most talented builders here, and you will see many 'complaints' about the kit supplied product and how it had to be compensated for, or just trashed altogether and another made from scratch. Did it cause other vendors to decide to close business? No!

Gravman is not responsible for the current state of affairs of anyone. He has simply risen to the challenge of building a high quality model boat and has come to realize skills and talents he never knew he had. We should all be applauding him.

Gravman, do not shut down this build thread. It has been and will continue to be an incentive to others to do better, and to also rise to the challenge of making better parts.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot