HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:09 PM
New Zealand, Tasman, Motueka
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
"This weekend I'm going to go looking for a lens for the front"
--- lots of ideas from this neck of the woods, ranging from {because we live on the coast?} 'a really big fish scale' (trimmed of course) to centrepunching the plastic from a clear or opaque fruit or milk plastic bottle and .....the one I liked... the clear reversing lights lenses on cars have little ridges inside. If a piece was turned from a broken lens, when it was fitted the look would be of a fenestrated or focused lens. When that idea surfaced, I went and had a look at my ute (pickup truck to you maybe) and the interior light has a series of circular ridges inside that would (I think) look like a real search light lens once turned down and fitted.
Hope that helps,
GregSpooner is offline Find More Posts by GregSpooner
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Searchlight

Thanks guys for all the suggestions on the lens for the light. I went to Houston's oldest hobbie shop. It has been open since 1947. They have a selection of architectural piping supplies. And it was here that I found the lens for the light. It was not an exact fit, both in diameter and thickness, but it was easy enough to change.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:41 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,568 Posts
Does G&G do any bus. on line ? E-Mail ?

And may I suggest (for your benefit,to defray costs) MAKE YOUR BUILD LOG "PAY PER VIEW". I"M in
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:42 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,123 Posts
Great work, and you are So lucky to have a hobby shop like that available to you !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Here is the link to the shop. http://www.gandgmodelshop.com/. OBW thanks for the PFV idea but without nude young ladies I doubt there would be much interest...Tim the only down side is parking, there are 4 spaces in front of the shop and it is about a 40 minute drive down the highway.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,568 Posts
Took a quick look at the site looks good.I have done many on line purchases for the 63 as well as other projects.When I don't need it today,I'll wait a two or three days,UPS drops it at the door. (insert lazy icon here)
Oh,by the way,a bit of "skin" wouldn't hurt to enhance the build log.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
OBW it never seems to fail that the part I need will not be in my shop when I need it. It can be a real pain to have to wait for it to come in. When I outfitted the new shop after Ike I thought I had purchased just about everything I could possibly need or want. WRONG! I have become more patient in my old age but I still hate to not have something on hand when I need it.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Radar Mast

After finishing with the light I decided to open the packages from MBH that contain the parts for the radar mast. This will be the next part for the boat. After inspecting the parts I am not sure what I'm going to do next. I'm certain at one time the molds for these parts were new and the pieces that were made from them were in great shape. I've been looking at these most of the afternoon trying to decide if I can use them or do I need to scratch build this mast. Maybe use some of the parts and scratch build others. I want to say I am not bashing Frank and MBH, it is just that these parts did not come out of the molds as well as I had hoped. Perhaps other folks got better parts.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:39 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,123 Posts
After seeing the searchlight, I'll bet they will look Really sharp if you scratch build some of it...
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:19 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,885 Posts
You're having entirely too much fun, Gravy!

I get the feeling that if the radar parts came out of the bag in perfect shape, you would have somehow been disappointed!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:37 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Now knowing this thread, the question about the radar was rhetorical right? LOL Looking forward to another minibuild of another fine part. I have been waiting with bated breath to sell all those super-detailed parts get put on the hull and see what the final result will look like.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,568 Posts
The antenna alone would prompt me to have a "conversation" with the company.It doesn't look like anyone should accept that quallity.Furthermore, no trimming etc.etc. could make it look good. So why buy it???
OBW