HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:24 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
MP, very nice to know that you have started to follow this crazy thread all the way from Turkey. Very cool. I am working on the horizontal fins now. BD I am glad you think what I have done looks real.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:01 AM
New Zealand, Tasman, Motueka
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
I cannot get over your workmanship. It has been a fascinating read/watch so far. This is one Kiwi who is waiting with bated breath for each instalment---
GregSpooner is offline Find More Posts by GregSpooner
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Torpedos

I finally finished the first horizontal fin. Remember what I said about the fins being identical except for the control surfaces? Yea, about that. I have a bad habit of looking but not seeing. Closer inspection of the drawings revealed that there is a difference in the overall length of the fin. Anyway, I corrected this and built the first horizontal fin.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
It occurs I know (knew, haven't talked to him for a lot of years he may have passed away) that worked in torpedo shops all over the Pacific theater during WWII, he had a set of pics that showed them assembling and working on some of the older fish in the torpedo workshop in Cavite Navy Yard (Dec 1940, about three weeks before Pearl Harbor). I know as the war went on he moved from Pearl to Midway, to Darwin, and back to Subic (he ran the shop when we got the yard back, retired as a LtCmdr). Have to see if I can get a hold of him.

I love watching people work on scratchbuilding things, it is great to watch people figure things out and work around problems. The torps fins look pretty good so far and I am watching to see what all that hard work looks like when it is finally on the boat.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
You know looking back on this part of the build I think it may have been better just to have left things alone and put them together as they came from MBH. A couple feet from shore and you could not tell the difference anyway. I thought this would be pretty easy but it has turned out to something else.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
But the essence of decent scale modelling is that YOU noticed and wanted to make it better. For most people who build scale it is almost OCD time for things like this. You know the guy who builds a wooden speed boat and aligns the slots in all 1800 screw-heads to so they are the same way. The guy who makes a functioning ventilator in the proper place for an engine room (to keep the motors cool, yeah right). As the builder/designer YOU decided what you wanted to work on and detail/superdetail, most of us (even a convicted rivet counter like me) probably wouldn't notice the screws on the gyro cover on the fish but it is important to you, so you did it. I have watched guys take pieces of brass stock and turn out their own .50 ammo for armored vehicles (1/35th which makes them about the size of a grain of rice), make sheet metal belt links for them and flake them into and ammo can on top of a Sherman (then use the stock rubber treads on it LOL). What you decide to detail is determined by you, and I for one, still like to watch your techniques!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:06 AM
Istanbul / TURKEY
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
"taste"
Melih PEKOL is offline Find More Posts by Melih PEKOL
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:18 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melih PEKOL View Post
"taste"
Discrimination,Class. An extension of who you are.cool:
OBW
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Torpedos

Today I changed the lift ring on the front of the warhead. I kept telling myself that I was just going to use it as provided by MBH. But sometimes I just cannot leave things alone. This has caused a lot of hardship over the years. I decided to carve the new lift ring out of a piece of styrene rod. Naturally, I didn't have what I needed in my shop, but a trip to the local hobby shop solved that issue.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Torpedos

I finished installing the reinforcement bands on the rear section of the torpedo. These were tricky little parts to fit. As you know measuring is the enemy of precision. Sometimes you just have to rely on a best guess estimate and in this case that is what I did. I also want to thank my better half for her help in getting these attached. I held them in place and she carefully applied the super glue.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,976 Posts
Gravy, be careful man. Pretty soon you will be chanting: "one rivet, two rivets, three rivets" lol...
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
K, them rivet counter folks are way out of my league. I am getting very close to casting the body for the MK XIII. I want to make it a hollow casting and add the fins afterwards. I hope to save some weight too. Thanks for watching.

Grav
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:23 PM
Istanbul / TURKEY
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
"measuring is the enemy of precision"

like it

mp
Melih PEKOL is offline Find More Posts by Melih PEKOL