HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:22 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,034 Posts
Hi Spencer,

Did you use external bearings on that Hitec 7115 installation?
I'm planning to use the same setup on my plane, where did you get those bearings?

Cheers,
André
decones is online now Find More Posts by decones
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
fly foam fast
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,437 Posts
That is one thing that I have concerns about is the whole servo flexing with the 7115.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a 40oz Bee II for DS
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
On my light weight K2m, I did not use any external bearings. It's gone roughly 300+ without them but when you fiddle the plane on the ground that's the only source of movement you can detect.

I haven't measured the arm screws to see what size they are. Does anyone have a loose servo they can measure the screw on? I could probably find parts to make some bearing kits if anyone needs them...
sll914 is offline Find More Posts by sll914
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Mar 2007
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll914 View Post
On my light weight K2m, I did not use any external bearings. It's gone roughly 300+ without them but when you fiddle the plane on the ground that's the only source of movement you can detect.

I haven't measured the arm screws to see what size they are. Does anyone have a loose servo they can measure the screw on? I could probably find parts to make some bearing kits if anyone needs them...
They are M2 for the new Hitec and different from 5125 etc. PM me if want a bearing kit to play with.

Cheers Tony
Tony Fu is offline Find More Posts by Tony Fu
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:57 AM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
886 Posts
Tony's 'Fu Fix' bearing kits are excellent & are usable without servo frames.
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
Hi Tony, check PM... Thanks!

Flew my K2m at Parker Monday. Wind was at a bad angle but had fun throwing off and landing over and over again at the very top of the hill where Bruce has been landing. Got 15 landings with narry a scratch! Cleaned out lots of rocks too. Its definitely a haul to get up there but well worth the effort if you want to land at Parker without damage...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:37 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,125 Posts
Sounds like our Larrikin Ridge. Quite a trek and through a cowpaddock with rocks, up the hill and through a fence, but you're rewarded with an LZ with grass and laminar air and no rocks after some time spent clearing it. But after I walked there flying, and walked back carrying the 7.5kg DSX my arms were hurting and I was exhausted!
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:43 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
2,980 Posts
Hey spencer, I think your in box is full.
Cheers
Josh
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
Sorry Josh, all clear now!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:38 AM
Joined Oct 2004
929 Posts
First 2m Kinetics have arrived in Australia. Huge thanks to Spencer for the amazing packing job complete with smiley face on the internal packing foam, missed that when I first opened the box being too excited to see the planes.

With the exception of James's new model, most planes I have seen lately have been the same old chinese stuff that has not bought any smiles but this new Kinetic is super impresssive. Flawless fit and finish with a perfect wing and tail fit for the first bench test. Light layup came in at 1360grams dry weight so should allow plenty of flying even on lighter days but still able to go over 300 with someone that can fly better than me.

At first I was not sure about the flouro chartreuse (yellow) scheme but am glad this is what I picked now. My cheap camera does not do it justice and the colour has not come out in these pics but to see it in person is just wow.

Thanks Spencer for an incredible design and getting the manufacturing quality as high as this.

Andrew
laanguy is offline Find More Posts by laanguy
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:16 AM
DS state of origin NSW Vs QLD
Joined Jul 2009
1,365 Posts
Ditto

Thanks Spencer, Beautiful build quality, And as Andrew mentioned packed secure and safe.
Cant wait to build and fly this stunning plane.
And thanks Andrew for doing all the organising.

Regards

Pete
Forrest12 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest12
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:27 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
4,369 Posts
Oh dear, now you guys will surely get no wind for months!

Can't wait to get my hands on mine when it arrives. Hopefully I get it before the NW season here ends and I get to rip it up at Tekapo
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Sep 2004
254 Posts
Andrew,

Nice plane, I saw the flouro chartreuse colored planes last week in Spencer's shop and was blown away by how good they looked.

The funny thing was I had talked to Spencer on the phone about the flouro green one that he has been flying around here and he mentioned that he had received some new planes but the green wasn't the same it was more yellow, just real low key. He also failed to mention that they looked insane!!!!!

Enjoy your new toy!

btw- the flouro orange aint to shabby either...

Chris
chris_b is offline Find More Posts by chris_b
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:50 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,307 Posts
With such a narrow chord, does one need bulged servo covers or is the wing section thick enough to get the servos in? Just thinking; if the root is 6" / 150ish mm, even at 10% thick, that's only 15mm thick...
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
Alex, your planes went out yesterday! Get ready to build...

The K2m wing will take 10mm servos (MKS DS6125) without a bulge and only a very small 'jellybean' for the servo arm to clear. The flap bays can easily take 11mm (JR DS398/388) without a bulge and a small jellybean cover. With some sanding of the case, and cutting into the servo cover (seal over with clear tape), the 11mm servos will also barely fit in the aileron bay.

Tail is easy with 10 or 11mm servos as long as the arm is kept very short (3.5-4mm which is also ideal for maximizing servo throws) so the ball link clears the cover.

Hitec 7115th fit the wing with no bulge or jellybean. Completely flush!

Spencer