HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,166 Posts
New Product
Introducing the new 2m Kinetic DP !!

I figured it was time to formally introduce the all new 2m Kinetic DP! It has been designed specifically for high speed DS but with the unique set of airfoils from Dirk Pflug, it will excel in a wide range of conditions and flying styles. Its high aspect ratio wing (just over 17:1) and minimalist fuselage (by DS standards at least) is a very efficient airframe whether you are DSing at 450mph or simply cruising the frontside flying F3F style laps or pulling big halfpipe pumps. As usual, Steven Seim is credited with the CAD work and Thomas Pils with the machine work. Both have poured enormous amounts of time and energy into the effort to make sure that I was happy and that everything was made to exacting standards. Huge thanks guys!

I've been so impressed with the MKS DS6125 servos, I decided to include them as one of my design constraints. I am told that they will soon be offering a high voltage version as well as allowing for rotation greater than the 100deg now available. The current install was done with a DS6125 on every surface. All of the wing servos were installed with the aluminum frames with integral bearing kits, metal arms, and 4-40 clevises. The result is absolutely rock solid! The ailerons and flaps are both bottom hinge / top drive with tiny blisters on the lower skin. The current control surface horns are so small I don't think top fairings are necessary. I am considering the Rotmilan roll drive servo arms as well as a custom made servo arm and will see which works out best. The elevator linkage uses a 2mm ball link on the metal servo arm and drives the elevator with a carbon pushrod and 2-56 clevis.

I finally had the chance to maiden her yesterday at Weldon. Like Chris said, she was a total handful on the first flight thanks to an aft CG. Still not sure what happened there as I modeled it in XFLR5 and set CG and decalage for the same stability characteristics as the K100. After a couple more flights moving the CG from 65mm up to 58.5mm and cutting down both the elevator and aileron throws, it started to fly the way I was hoping for. With no ballast in the wing or belly, the weight was around 80oz and it was already settling into the groove and got a 323mph in 35mph winds. A couple flights later, we put 15oz of lead in the belly and flew some really tight laps (2-2.5sec) for a best speed of 372mph! I had a ton of fun watching Chris and Bruce wind her up tight and fast! I think they liked what they saw cause they both re-confirmed their orders after handing me the transmitter!

With its small overall size and sleek profile, I was a little concerned about visibility but after all three of us flew it without any visibility trouble, I am no longer concerned in the least. This one doesn't even have the flouro paint job I've become accustomed to!

When it came time to land, I only needed about half of the 90deg flap deployment to make it move backwards in the 30-40mph winds! After a nice easy landing, I couldn't wipe the huge grin off my face! Definitely one of the most fun DSing sessions I've ever had. I can't wait to see what it'll do in really big winds! From my calcs, the target weight is around 140-150oz. I think 15-20oz in each tip will get us close to the optimal weight and will make it even easier to stick the circuit in ratty grooves. I'm playing with the ballast option of adding dry lead shot to fill the D-box for strong conditions or flying it empty to make it more fun and easier to land in light winds. I hope to have that ready for next time and will report on how it works out.

Again, I couldn't be any happier with the way the K2m flies. I think with the new K2m, we have a sleek, fast, and strong DS ship that is an absolute blast to fly in a wide range of conditions...
sll914 is online now Find More Posts by sll914
Last edited by sll914; Apr 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:48 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
yea,

man I can't wait to fly this plane again!!!!
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:52 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,630 Posts
That is excellent, Spencer! When I first saw the plane in person I was shocked at the quality of the build. I don't think I have ever seen any product of any type built as well as the K2M. That wing is s-l-e-n-d-e-r to say the least. I was curious how visibility would be but clearly you can see it just fine if she hit 372mph on her maiden day! Congratulations to you, Steven and Thomas for a successful project!
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:21 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogance View Post
I was curious how visibility would be but clearly you can see it just fine if she hit 372mph on her maiden day!
I was wondering the same thing but once I started flying it fast I was only thinking wow, I never thought of visibility, just speed, fun and don't crash So I guess it was pretty easy to see. Still looking forward to seeing a fluro/hunter orange, black and white striped combo...

daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Sep 2004
272 Posts
Holy smokes that thing looks sexy!!!! I love the planform of the wing!

I talked with Chris Boz about the plane yesterday for a a little while and to say he was stoked on the plane would be a HUGE understatement...

I can't wait to see one in person, nice work Spencer looks like another winner!

Cheers,
Chris
chris_b is offline Find More Posts by chris_b
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:30 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,307 Posts
How much Spencer. And congrats on a successful maiden.
Looks line a sweet ride.

Asto
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:36 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,287 Posts
Just in terms of the looks-good/flies-good department, I like the blending of the leading edge and fuselage (if that makes sense). Anyway, it looks great!
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:04 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,271 Posts
very cool, congratulations on the maiden and general performance of the plane.
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:22 AM
Germany, BY, Weidenberg
Joined Apr 2011
69 Posts
new Kinetic

Hi Spencer
The new Kinetic - fantastic - just wonderful this model!
If you plant on whether the ballast in the wing can also remove
(For us at home would be an advantage)
regards
jochen
myschlot is offline Find More Posts by myschlot
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:58 AM
DS state of origin NSW Vs QLD
Joined Jul 2009
1,371 Posts
Cheers Spencer, Shes a beauty
My new desktop background!

Peter M
Forrest12 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest12
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:22 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
736 Posts
I love this model.
I have already purchased the servos in anticipation.
Now I just need to save the cash to purchase one.

Thank you for your hard work Spencer. We salute you!
wdeighton is online now Find More Posts by wdeighton
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:33 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,433 Posts
Put me on the list for a light one. Kane
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: new plane
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:57 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,008 Posts
I love the lines. Just dead sexy. Love the large fixed TE tips. Because it is a Kinetic I know the quality is A+++. Congrats again Spencer.

Eric
Ezza is online now Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:35 AM
It flies!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,508 Posts
Congratulations Spencer it looks absolutely fantastic, beautiful work.
Sean Moloney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
A dream will find you
North Bend Washington
Joined Oct 2004
136 Posts
Royal Currency

Each Kinetic version designed and drafted incorporates new approaches, new techniques, stretch goals and the accumulated flight experiences from previous iterations. The 2 meter version is to this point the greatest and longest step forward.

The aircraft is once again wholly new while still striving to maintain a common appearance signature within the Kinetic family. The tail is refined even further than the 130" version, the wing is partially recessed, max thickness points of the wing and fuselage are aligned and the tapered, blended fin showcases a very slick section able to house the slave motor, but what really stands out is the narrow wing root chord, the double elliptical wing planform (at last!!!) to max control and vortex generation and the super exotic airfoil section schedule. Control surfaces are naturally very effective for the reason that the wing is so aggregately narrow and the trailing edge elliptical. A close contact; (Dr. S) on seeing new airfoils intended to encase the slave motors while still granting the ability to produce the speed results intended within a high aspect ratio wing said we were/are spending 'royal currency'. The impact of that comment/compliment is enormous.

Throughout the development cycle I was thinking of the WASP-21, a super exotic 2-channel model that tore up Torrey Pines 30 years ago. The 2 meter Kinetic is in my mind that great a leap and much more.

There's more though. The 60" wing is complete and ready to convert to molds. Geometry and section schedule identical to the 2m, but in a 60" span. The fuselage will support the 60" and 2M wings. If interested, let Spencer know. Prep and production is not trivial. If the 60" groundswell is big enough, I would hope that wing set would be produced as well.

Thank you.

---

Drawings? As in a request for the scaffolds, surfaces and airfoils??? I'm sorry.

Spencer holds the rights to the airfoils. If he says they can be shared that's cool, but that would be for he to communicate and make clear. As for the design and artwork, that is exclusively licensed to Spencer and DSKinetic.com.

Thank you.
StevenSeim is offline Find More Posts by StevenSeim
Last edited by StevenSeim; May 05, 2012 at 12:57 AM.