HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Question
Opinions on the Gaui X5 FES

Hey Guys,

As some of you might already be aware, I had my mind set on buying a prebuilt Trex 500/550 3Gx v2 FBL.

After much research, numerous noob questions, etc.. I decided against it as there are too many mixed reports on the 3Gx electronics for my liking. The last thing I want is a 900 Bird hitting the deck due to no fault of my own.

After a quick search around on my usual UK vendor site, I came across a Gaui X5 FES, and after the little bit of research I've done it seems to get rave reviews. Sounds good to me upto now but I have a few questions before I shell out a chunk of money;

1- How old is this model?
2- do Gaui obsolete things quickly as I'm concerned about parts availability?
and finally, are the electronics upto scratch?
I'm looking for sturdy and reliable electronics.
Here is the spec;
https://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/404.asp?...FES/p-70-1828/

Another reason I fancy this model is the fact it comes prebuilt for only a few more than kit form, and it also has the option of a BF8 RX (WK2801) to which I already have the 2801 pro transmitter which is a solid performer.

Would love to hear your opinions on this, particularly parts availability/obsoletion in the near future.

All the best,

Damian
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
I have a GAUI and the quality in my opinion is much better than Align. I highly recommend it.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetterDragun View Post
I have a GAUI and the quality in my opinion is much better than Align. I highly recommend it.
Which one do you have?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Gaui is good, but the question is whether you may find parts from lhs. even you may order parts online, I found out sometime online shop short of Gaui stock supply.

I have X2 FES and new X7 FES. On other side, it much easier for me fo find parts for my Align Fleet.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1017 View Post
Gaui is good, but the question is whether you may find parts from lhs. even you may order parts online, I found out sometime online shop short of Gaui stock supply.

I have X2 FES and new X7 FES. On other side, it much easier for me fo find parts for my Align Fleet.
Yeah, that's the only thing what worries me.... Parts availability.

Done a bit of reading up on the X5 and virtually everybody recommends it over the Trex saying it's in a completely different class.

I hear excellent reports on the Microbeast and Scorpion motors as well.

Decisions, decisions.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username> View Post
Which one do you have?
I have the 425. Parts availability I have found to be good, I usually get parts from heliflightcenter.com. However, I haven't crashed it so haven't really needed parts!
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:58 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Been in touch with a load of Gaui UK vendors, and posed the question about my concerns with spares availability/obsoletion.
I've been told not to worry as the X5 is a flagship model that wont be discontinued anytime soon.
I keep my fingers crossed that I'm not being told porkies.
The Gaui x5 FES is my next bird, and I have my mind made up.
90% of People that I've asked say it's in a completely different league to the Trex 500/550 so that will do me.
Old May 01, 2012, 03:04 PM
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Oct 2011
80 Posts
The 550e v2 3GX is a awesome bird. I have no problems to report to date and its my first FBL bird. You will not regret it. The Gaui is awesome too from what I hear. Part availability would be the major issue for me.
Pjuran is offline Find More Posts by Pjuran
Old May 01, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjuran View Post
The 550e v2 3GX is a awesome bird. I have no problems to report to date and its my first FBL bird. You will not regret it. The Gaui is awesome too from what I hear. Part availability would be the major issue for me.
+1. I have no 3gx issues on my Trex fleet, 700, 600, 550 and 450. I admit beastx perform better than 3gx after I installed one onto my trex-600. In general, 3gx is not at all.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017