HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Oct 2010
67 Posts
Question
Durafly Dynamic-S/St Models Blaze weird trim issue

Hey all,

I got a Durafly Dynamic-S yesterday and flew it today. It was fairly windy (~12-15 mph) but I was so excited to fly it that I went for it anyways. It flew fine, except it really wanted to bank right. I got it mostly trimmed out, but when I looked at the trim after the flight I was two clicks away from full left rudder and about halfway to the left on aileron trim. I've never had a plane do this, but I've never had a plane like this.

Anyone experienced anything similar? Any thoughts on what would cause excessive right bank? As far as I can see the plane is fine, not imbalanced or anything. It seemed to happen both power on and power off, and both directions up and down the runway. I suppose if it does the same thing on a calm day then I can readjust the neutral position of the rudders and ailerons, but that feels odd to me.

Thanks for any input

For reference, the plane in question: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24331
JayhawkJake is offline Find More Posts by JayhawkJake
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:02 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
Yes................Bank to the right..............indicates a possible warp in the wing.
1)Bank to the right: a) right wing may have washout
b) left wing may have wash in
Turn the wing upside down and sight down the span of each wing panel to detect any warp,
This is a foamy so not sure how you would remove any warps or twists............
Flying with off centered control surfaces = drag.
shhhhh! is online now Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Oct 2010
67 Posts
I don't detect any wing warp...and for as much as it was banking I feel like I'd be able to see it. Wing has 3 carbon spars, it's extremely stiff, but the tips are pretty unsupported. Maybe they were just flopping around a bit, I taped them up, maybe that will will help.
JayhawkJake is offline Find More Posts by JayhawkJake
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:48 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,400 Posts
I had one of these for awhile, the ailerons especially are WAY too floppy for any kind of speed. I was forever chasing trim issues, and having the ailerons blow out at speed (resulting in hard loops to bleed speed and avoid hitting the dirt!) Span wise the wing is stiff enough, torsionally its not!

Id remove the stock ailerons and make balsa ones, then try again. You'll be forever chasing your tail trying to fix trim issues otherwise.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old May 23, 2012, 05:38 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
JayhawkJake did you ever fix your trim issue?

My Dynamic-S has the exact same issue requiring almost full LEFT Aileron trim.

I measured from Fuselage AFT tip to various points along the wing - Tip, Aileron fences. I found that the wings on mine are mounted with a 'yaw' to the right (clockwise rotation of wings as viewed from the top). The wing tip measurment is 25mm shorter on the RIGHT side.

I am going to try and fix this before I fly again and hope that it will reduce the LEFT trim needed.

One other thing I noticed is that when looking from the rear, V-tail is slightly lower on the LEFT side (perhaps just 1-2mm) - this may also be causing some Yaw to right side?
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:13 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
Macca55 I too have the same problem and it drove me nuts all day. I will look into mine and correct any alignment issue.

Has this worked for anyone else?
Terra is offline Find More Posts by Terra
Old Dec 02, 2013, 12:21 PM
Joined Dec 2008
4 Posts
Dynamic S warped wing

maca55 and JayhawkJake, I too have the exact same problem with my Dynamic S. Upon my maiden flight, it wanted to roll right and required almost full left aileron trim for it to flight straight. Upon close inspection, I can see the warp/twist in the right wing tip. I was able to measure the amount/degree of warp by laying out the wing, and placing a laser pointer on each wing tip and projecting a red dot on a wall. the amount of warp/twist is dramatic. No wonder it wanted to roll right. The right wing tip has a clockwise twist (viewed from the tip). I am working with HK now, jumping through their hoops: sent them photos of the packing. We all have received defective wings, rendering the model nearly un-flyable. Maca55 and JayhawkJake, have you been able to correct your wing warp issues? Thanks, Bob
bobclarie is offline Find More Posts by bobclarie
Last edited by bobclarie; Dec 02, 2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: add images
Old Dec 20, 2013, 06:33 PM
Joined Dec 2008
4 Posts
Dynamic-S update: I have good news to share. After working with Hobby King and supplying them with photos and documentation regarding the warped wing that I received, they sent me a replacement wing yesterday (complete with servos). I could see that this replacement wing looked pretty straight. So, I took it up for a flight and, it flies great, straight as an arrow. I asked HK for replacement decals for the wing; that did not happen. I did remove the original decals from the warped wing and applied them to the replacement wing; hope they stay on; time will time. Bottom line; I'm pleased with HK support and the performance of the Dynamic-S. You know what they say: "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". She will climb straight up.. Remember, "keep looking up" Bob
bobclarie is offline Find More Posts by bobclarie