HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:47 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Build Log
Yet another 36" SPAD XIII by Peter Rake / Manzano Laser

OK, maybe the title is a bit exaggerated. I only found two threads on this model so I figured I would start one of my own. There has got to be more builders out there some were...? I personally have been admiring Peter's designs for about a year now. I finally got the build table cleared off for one of his designs. Hard part was deciding which to build. I decided to build many, but to start with the 36" SPAD because of level of detail that SkyKing added to his was an inspiration.
Anyway, received my kit from Manzano Laser Works Thursday, just in time for a crappy week end. After spending Friday evening going over everything I laid out everything to start building today.
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Apr 28, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:54 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Well, had to take the kids to soccer games so by the time I was ready to build most of the day was gone. Did manage to get one lower wing done and sanded though. The parts are very well cut and fit very well. I just could not resist pulling it off the board and sanding it to see the results. Wing seemed very delicate compared to what I am used to building. Of course those 35 and 36 inch planes end up weighing anywhere from 2 - 2.5 lbs too. I was afraid of breaking it while sanding it but it actually held up very well. So far I am very pleased with the kit.

P.S. Peter, there are still some corrections that are needed on your plans that I read about in SkyKings thread to look out for. (including a couple typos) Just saying....

If anyone knows where I can get a good idea of the wire rigging I would appreciate it. Thanx...
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Apr 28, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:30 PM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
691 Posts
Looks good. Is this a full kit?
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:57 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,755 Posts
I got all my information here:

http://memorial.flight.free.fr/indexuk.html

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:40 AM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTank View Post
Looks good. Is this a full kit?
Yes, it is the full kit. I just finished a scratch build of the Ace All-Star from plans from theses forums so I am a little lazy right now. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1598332 This SPAD has alot of little wing ribs and I just don't have the patience for that right now.

Charlie, thank you for the link. I will check it out.
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Apr 29, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:38 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,728 Posts
Remind me of the points and I'll check them out against my files. It could be I forgot to do it, or did it but forgot to send Charlie the revised files. I can't see anything obviously out of place.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:14 AM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCCOR7737 View Post
If anyone knows where I can get a good idea of the wire rigging I would appreciate it. Thanx...
Check the Eduard plastic models site. All the instructions for their models are online and usually have a reasonable rigging diagram and color schemes somewhere on them. Just do a search on their site for Spad. There's several varients.

Here's the link to one of their 1/48 SPAD XIII model instructions with color schemes for some of the French aces..

Here's the link to the instructions for the ones with the color schemes of some of the American Aces.

Tom
catrancher is online now Find More Posts by catrancher
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:18 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,755 Posts
Or I could have forgotten to update the files after Pete sent them to me.

charlie
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:27 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
I knew I should have wrote this stuff down as I found it. I will inform you as I go along. At the moment I have noticed on the bottom wing layout it instructs to taper the wing spar from the second to last wing rib out. Its actually from the last rib out as the last rib has a full 3/8" x 1/8" relief. See photos. The second to last taper does hold true for the upper wing spar though as the last rib has only an 1/8 - 3/16 relief cut out.
Next while laying out the TE of the bottom wing the TE notches seem to step off at each rib to differentiate by an 1/8" at the end. No big deal there, the wing still ends up the same length at the end.
The plans also do not specify if the wing spar is bass or balsa. My kit only had two pieces of 1/8 x 3/8 bass, enough to do one or the other (upper or lower) short (6) 1/8 x 3/8 balsa sticks that the parts list has.
And the wing doubler that Sky King caught in which you replied: QUOTE "Yes, another error on my part I'm afraid. I forgot about the wing root cut away and made the doubler to suit a full rib."

Thanks catrancher for the links. I will check them out tonight.
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Apr 29, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:41 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
OK, now that's done for now. Not much to report. Finally got a nice day to catch up on some yard work. I did manage to get a little build time in though. I have a set of mirror image lower wings to play with. Started on the upper ones. Tedious task with all those little ribs..especially with no ID sheet for the parts. Ehem....
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:44 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,728 Posts
Okay, lets work through those points.
The spar slot in MY outboard lower wing rib is smaller than in the other ribs, so the comment on the plan about where the taper begins stands - two ribs in.

I've checked the trailing edge pieces against the parts sheet and they are identical on both plan and cut file. Therefore, you may have a humidity issue, causing the wood to swell slightly. Whatever the cause, it's not something I can remedy on the plan because it's correct to begin with.

As regards spar material, if it doesn't say it's bass, it's a fair bet it isn't bass. However, I'd support Charlie in so much as if there is any doubt about the hardness of the balsa spars, replace those in the top wing with bass. If the balsa is hard, there's no need for bass spars. Mind you, it probably would have helped if I had labelled the spars.

Yep, I'll give you the one about the wing position doubler, I'll get that sorted out.

Thanks for taking the time to list these things, it is helpful.

Pete
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:07 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,728 Posts
Right, doublers changed on both plan and cut file.

Pete
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:34 AM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Maybe my sheets were cut from an older cut file? Still, really not a big deal. I still love the kit so far. I am really anxious to get er done!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:14 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,755 Posts
And there are no parts layouts for this one. I'll correct that part of the documentation.

There should have been enough spar material for all four wing panels and center section. When we send the new sheets they will be included.

The bass struts should be in the loose parts pack.

charlie
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:26 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Thanks Charlie. Yea, I got the strut parts. I figured that was what the parts list was talking about. Nope, only two 1/8 x 3/8 bass spars. six 1/8 x 3/8 balsa sticks were listed on the parts sheet but I did not have them.

On another note....did about an hour of building after work today. Yes I have to work too Got the rough framework done for the center section of the upper wing. The plans call for 1/8 balsa filler on either sides of the strut rib. I thought maybe they were on a lasered sheet but could not find them so I used 1/8 bass. I thought it better for support any how. So far the kit is going together very well. The parts cuts are very accurate and the upper wing is coming out straight as an arrow.