HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:58 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,408 Posts
Discussion
Does Phoenix R/C flight simulator actually help?

Hey guys. i may get the Phoenix RC flight simulator (v3) this coming winter to keep my skills sharp (yeah im already thinking about the winter ). my question is, does this sim actually help with your flying skills, or is it nothing like flying a real rc plane/heli?
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:05 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
the short answer to that is yes

IMO the best way to learn how to fly, how to learn new aerobatic maneuvers is learning how to do it on a sim and your wallet will thank you when you are not digging into it to repair or replace a damaged plane.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined May 2011
4,408 Posts
okay cool thanks! i think that it would be a great idea to get one then for the winter to prevent my thumbs from failing me .
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:29 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
if you want a really great Sim but dont want to spend a ton of money check out Clear View before purchasing the higher priced sims there is also Clear View SE which is free but has limited models and flying fields
My recomendation is to buy the full version.
that is what I have and could not be any happier with its performance.
at least you can try the free version before buying, the other sim producers dont offer hands on demo of any kind.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined May 2011
4,408 Posts
okay cool thanks. i think i may just get the phoenix flight sim since i don't have much else to buy during winter to keep me busy.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Jun 2011
144 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread, i just didnt see any point in starting a new thread with a very similar question. How close is a R/C flight sim planes/helis characteristics to actual R/C planes/helis?
rcguy1234 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1234
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:15 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1234 View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, i just didnt see any point in starting a new thread with a very similar question. How close is a R/C flight sim planes/helis characteristics to actual R/C planes/helis?
Close enough to teach newbies the basics of orientation, and to allow more advanced pilots to practice specific maneuvers.

Not so close that you'd ever mistake flying in a sim for real life.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1234 View Post
That depends a lot on the skill of whoever created the model. And I mean that both ways. It is possible to create a model in the sims where the physics is nothing like the real plane. On the other hand, with the better sims, you can get very close.

At the same time, real planes are often quite imperfect. They aren't trimmed properly, cog is off, etc.

Finally, there are definite differences in terms of field of view, depth perception, pucker factor, etc.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
144 Posts
okay thank you!
rcguy1234 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1234
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined May 2011
4,408 Posts
So if i wanted to keep my skills sharp during the winter time when flying is not easy, wouldn't it be better to just buy an indoor micro heli?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
So if i wanted to keep my skills sharp during the winter time when flying is not easy, wouldn't it be better to just buy an indoor micro heli?
Sims can do a number of things for you that using a indoor smaller model can't. In particular the sims are great for trying out new maneuvers and learning the basic timing / stick movements involved. And some of the sims like Realflight have built in training lessons. If you did this on a smaller model, you could still end up spending all your time repairing it.

Second, you get to fly a large range of models without actually buying them. You might discover that you really like hot liners, slope soaring, quad copters, or whatever.

But by all means get the micro helicopter too.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Dec 2005
12 Posts
If you do puchase one of the bigger brand sims ie RF or Phoenix. pick the one that has the models you fly in real life. With either you can edit the sim version to feel much like your real plane and/or heli. I fly alot of Horizon product so I fly Poenix, and I have been able to get the sim Beast to fly amazingly close to the real one. I truely belive in the value of flying and training with sims. Abviosely (sp?) to reduce the cost of learning 3d but more for developing muscle memory. I fly at least 10 hours sim to every 1 hour of actual flying. Practice, practrice, practice, as they say!
Jimbolina1 is offline Find More Posts by Jimbolina1
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined May 2011
4,408 Posts
ah okay cool thanks guys. i guess i will get a sim for the heck of it then. besides, so many of my cousins ask "CAN I FLY THAT!?!?!" all i got to do is direct them to the sim and say "try this first."
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, PA, York
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Hi guys!

Question about the Phoenix flight sim; I have a Home Theater PC set-up and would be using this simulator with that instead of sitting at a desk with a pc.

How long are the cables that connect to the transmitter? I have a 60" flatscreen & would need to sit at least 8' - 10' away from the tv for comfortable viewing.

Do they make extension cables for the transmitter?
rckatz is offline Find More Posts by rckatz
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined May 2011
4,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckatz View Post
Hi guys!

Question about the Phoenix flight sim; I have a Home Theater PC set-up and would be using this simulator with that instead of sitting at a desk with a pc.

How long are the cables that connect to the transmitter? I have a 60" flatscreen & would need to sit at least 8' - 10' away from the tv for comfortable viewing.

Do they make extension cables for the transmitter?
hmm...good question! i actually would like to know the same thing!