HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:39 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,708 Posts
Discussion
For $50,000, you can buy the Sea Shadow stealth research vessel..

...There is just one slight catch, you gotta scrap it within six months of purchase.

DARPA puts its 195 million tomorrow never dies stealth ship on the scrap market.

which is a shame. any aspiring super villain would probably love this.

oh well... I'll just have to keep checking out villainsource.com to see what comes up.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:53 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,629 Posts
Our tax dollars at work---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:59 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,493 Posts
Millions to build and dollars to scrap.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:03 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,529 Posts
Why wouldn't they just sell it to anybody? Obviously is is no longer state of the art and I sure that ,by now, all the secret goodies have been removed from her. Would be very useful for terrorizing sheetboats. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
Tin Can Sailor
Alabama, USA
Joined Feb 2009
761 Posts
Just buy the thing and disappear. If they find you write a book about it being a failure
seadog985 is offline Find More Posts by seadog985
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:05 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
Would be very useful for terrorizing sheetboats. Pete

Buy that man a beer! Or six!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:54 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,620 Posts
But how am I gonna to truck it over to Spreckels (kinda shallow too... *sigh*)

Gotta admit though, it'd make one hell of a unique houseboat over on Richardson Bay with the Sausalito houseboat fleet!

(Love the fact they're throwin' in the Hughes barge (yeeech) for free.)
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Apr 28, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:05 PM
United States, FL, Valrico
Joined Mar 2011
48 Posts
If I remember they were trying to give it away a year or so ago with its Hanger/Dock thing. All you had to do was have it moved and use it as a museum. At least that's how I think I remember it.
QuickLTD is offline Find More Posts by QuickLTD
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:25 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat View Post
Millions to build and dollars to scrap.
$195 Million over all DARPA research project... that was pretty dang cheap considering the nature of the research and the branch doing the researching. I still think that's more than NASA's annual budget though. *tongue in cheek*

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog985 View Post
Just buy the thing and disappear. If they find you write a book about it being a failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post

Buy that man a beer! Or six!
sea dog's idea is more beer worthy :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLTD View Post
If I remember they were trying to give it away a year or so ago with its Hanger/Dock thing. All you had to do was have it moved and use it as a museum. At least that's how I think I remember it.
they were.. nobody wanted it.. so.. here we are... the scrap heap.

$50k starting bid for scrap rights.. I think the bidding is up to around $100k now.. and it's estimated that there is about $3mil worth of scrap metal wrapped up in that thing. assuming that its an steel construction. considering the nature of the vessel, there could be a lot of non salvagable material in the hull design.

But, we mustn't forget that it must be broken in the US, the breaker must be DOD certified, and there are security clearances for the people involved in the breaking.
HAZMAT, an other environmental over sight issues are in play here as well. This aint a old tanker you can drag on down to India for breaking where they are more or less using slave labor to do so.

Long story short.. there will be little or no profit for the folks who win the breaking rights..

But over all it's a shame. the boat will be lost. it will be broken. no one wanted to take on being the Sheppard of the craft.

and besides.. it was only used to test the radar deflective hull design. did the dang thing ever even leave the harbor?
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:58 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,429 Posts
It was also used to research the electric drive system for sound and the reduced wake signature. I'm sure it did it's share of open water stuff.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:20 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,620 Posts
She was a one-off R&D and proof of concept platform. She was always bound for the breaker. They proved the tech worked so for her fine service and good deeds, she was retired an gutted and the engineering experience and tech was applied to the new ships now coming on line.

It's a shame but she was never intended to go out and mix it up with the hostiles, but she surely was the coolest thing on San Francisco Bay for a while. Still think she'd make a hell of Sausalito houseboat!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,378 Posts
Here is an idea for those consumers of #25 the motors are refrigerated to lower the heat signature and run cooler, run the piping though the galley for the beer cooler! Stealth party boat, coasties could never find her (though it may have the same problem for guests!)!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008