HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:28 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,682 Posts
Discussion
Swap meet score: toy 1/4 scale F1 car

I went to a swap meet yesterday(a regular car swap, not an RC event), and a guy had this, new in box for $30. It's an Innervation Racing 1/4 scale F1 car(yes, Innervation is how it's spelled). I can find practically zero information about it. It's obviously a toy grade car. It's just over 4' long, and came with a 12V sealed lead acid battery Aside from comical random english phrases stickers, it actually looks pretty neat. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, the battery takes forever to charge with the supplied wall charger. I don't really think it will perform all that well, but I figured for $30, it can look pretty on the shelf
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:17 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,682 Posts
As suspected, this car is painfully slow I'd say it tops out around 10 MPH. The ESC works in an interesting way though. The battery has 3 wires coming off of it, one 12V, one 8V, and ground. The ESC is just a pair of relays. At half throttle, the 8V relay closes and you get 8V to the motor. At full throttle, the 12V relay closes and you get full power to the motor. When you steer, it cuts out the 12V relay, so steering is only half speed. The front suspension has articulation points, but the "shocks" are solid struts, so there is no front suspension travel. If they were swapped out for real shocks/springs the front suspension would actually work.

I'm debating a hobby grade swap. The steering is bang bang, but the actuator is the same size as a standard servo. The motor is only a 540 can, but that size gives me lots of options for better motors. Two 3S 2250 Lipos in parallel fit in the battery box with a ton of room to spare, and are MUCH lighter than the 12V lead acid. The tires are terrible too, it is a toy after all, so I'd need to find some better tires that fit. Just what I need, another project haha
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
At least you got 2 steps for throttle. I got my wife a NASCAR rc about the same size and it has on off throttle with 12v as well.
Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:51 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,783 Posts
You can mount a servo up front pretty easily, you just need to make a platform to mount it.

I've been helping a relative try to fix up one just like this, the gearing is pretty tall so you have to watch what kind of motor you put in it. I tried a 17T brushed motor, but it overheats the ESC (old novak brushed) in a big hurry on 2s.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons