SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:04 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,646 Posts
Gallery
Lifeboat Fans Gallery, Pics/Vids of all SAR stuf, Coast Guard, Pilot Boats, welcome!

Although my screen name seems to tell otherwise, I am actually a boat fan for years and years. And my most favorite type is Lifeboat/SAR (Search and Rescue) vessels.

Perhaps other fans of these type of life-saving vessels would enjoy some pics and vids of my "fleet" in action. If not, no problem, I still will keep enjoying these.

Other contributions to this thread are also very much welcome, I think we can never have too many SAR to look at. ;-) So if you have pics of vids of your own SAR/Lifeboats, please, post these here.

I'll start of with my first SAR boat, the German "SeenotrettungsKreuzer" called "Paul Denker". The original was fully built in aluminium, a first for it's time, reducing weight. The name is a tribute to one of the 4 crewmen that died in an accident with another, bigger, SAR Cruiser, during a rescue mission. The model was built from a kit from Graupner, with also a first in modeling, the hull is molded with deck to form a fully watertight unit. It's a boat that, like the original, can take on bigger waves without problem.

As pics and video says more than words, here's some footage:

Paul Denker SAR RC boat on full speed, but now in HD quality (0 min 55 sec)

Paul Denker SAR RC boat cutting through the waves, part 4 (1 min 1 sec)

Hope some will enjoy this little gallery, and add their own pics and vids of this great type of vessel!
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Last edited by SoloProFan; Apr 08, 2014 at 05:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:06 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,012 Posts
Your model is awesome. I like the SAR boats also. Thanks for posting the photos and videos.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:10 PM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,326 Posts
keep them coming......I also like all forms of SAR boats........especially lifeboats.
your boat looks superb...what scale is it to.
neil
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:45 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Your model is awesome. I like the SAR boats also. Thanks for posting the photos and videos.
Thanks for the kind words. I takes quite some effort to film and control the boat simultaneously, but the reward in being able to look at the footage later, and have others being able to see it, makes it worth while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhp651 View Post
keep them coming......I also like all forms of SAR boats........especially lifeboats.
your boat looks superb...what scale is it to.
neil
Thanks. This boat is scale 1:20, and the model is 84 cm long. It's powered by a 600 size brushed motor which drives the propellor through a gear reduction with gear ratio 2.5:1. A 7.2V 3000 mAh battery supplies the power for the motor, and the RC equipment is fed by a seperate 4.8V receiver battery, AA size Eneloop cells. It also has working position lights, and a search light, both can be independently switched on with the remote.

Paul Denker SAR RC Boat with working navigation lights (HD) (0 min 48 sec)
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:12 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,376 Posts
Very nice.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:15 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,646 Posts
Thanks.

My second addition to my SAR fleet was a Vegesack, made from a kit by Graupner again. The Vegesack is a so called "daughter boat" for a bigger "Seenotrettungskreuzer (Sea Emergency Cruiser, roughly translated) which means it sits on the back of the "mothership" and can be launched from it, when it's assistance is needed:

Interestingly enough, the history of the Adolph Bermpohl, as the Vegesack's "mothership" is called, is linked directly to my other SAR boat, the Paul Denker. I mentioned earlier that the latter got it's name as a tribute to a crew of 4 that perished during a rescue mission. Well, the Bermpohl and Vegesack were the ships that were involved in that dramatic accident. During a mission, the Vegesack was probably buried under the Bermpohl, as it was thrown keel up by a large wave. The Vegesack was later found upside down, as it was not self-righting. The Bermphol was self-righting, and was also found relatively intact, with it's motors still running stationary, but no sign of it's crew, or the fisherman they had taken on board according to the last radio contact between the vessel and dispatch. Here is a picture of the Bermpohl that shows the damage it had taken from the accident:

I didn't have room for the entire mothership/daughterboat combo, so I bought a daughterboat only, second hand. This is what it looked like when I got it:

After some restauration, which meant fitting a bigger motor (the one that was present was barely able to make the boat go forward), changing the wiring and fitting a new battery and receiver, as well as restoring some detail on the exterior, this was the result:

The new motor provided much more "SAR-worth" propulsion, as these pics and vid show:

Second testrun of my small SAR boat Vegesack, part 2 (1 min 11 sec)

C&C welcome again.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Apr 30, 2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:59 AM
Canada, ON, Minto
Joined Dec 2008
40 Posts
Hi SoloProFan,
nice to see somebody else being interested in SAR-boats. I hope not to interfere with your posting, but I thought I just add two pictures of my "Adolph Bermpohl."

Regards
Wilhelm
awvs is offline Find More Posts by awvs
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:03 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,646 Posts
No problem, the more, the merrier. I feel the same joy when others like this type of vessel as much as I do. Maybe I'll widen the focus of this thread anyway, to make it a general SAR thread.

Is the Vegesack on your Bermpohl capable of getting launched and go it's own way? That is, if you have the daughterboat, as I don't see it on the pictures...
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:57 PM
Canada, ON, Minto
Joined Dec 2008
40 Posts
Hi,
I will start on the Vegesack as soon as I am done with the tug "Fairmount Alpine' which will be within the next two to three weeks. I did push the Vegesack somewhat aside because I am not sure what kind of elevator system to add to the Bermpohl. The best solution I have seen so far is a two rail system with a slider mechanism.

Regards
Wilhelm
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:40 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,646 Posts
Ah, so the Vegesack will be added soon. Do you already have plans for what components to put into it? I could put a picture of the innards of mine here, as you can see on the pics mine has sufficient power for scale speed, and a little more.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:15 PM
Canada, ON, Minto
Joined Dec 2008
40 Posts
Please, post a picture from the inside of the Vegesack. Because of the color scheme on my Bermpohl I should built the Vegesack with the later version of the superstructure (totally enclosed and bigger cabin).

I enjoyed your video. Your daughter boat runs great and seems to be very stable in the water. Great job!

Regards
Wilhelm
Old May 01, 2012, 12:39 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,646 Posts
I see, quite a challenge to make the later version, when the Vegesack was converted to self-righting. And here is a picture of the inside of mine:

The rudder servo was already present when I bought it second hand, and since it works well, I decided to keep it. If I were to built this boat from the kit, a smaller servo would be better, nowadays.

The motor is a Graupner Speed 280, which seems like perfect for this boat, as it provides decent power, but motor doesn't run hot. I have a 6V 2000 mAh Eneloop pack as main battery, that provides power to both motor and receiver. Should you need to save on weight, perhaps the enhanced superstructure will add some, you could either drop a cell and go back to 4.8V, which should still provide a decent speed, or take smaller 1000 mAh cells, which means lower running time, or consider Li-Po or Li-Fe batteries, which offer better power to weight ratio.

The old Robbe Micro Controller 2A ESC sits in the front, and has no BEC, so I feed the 6V directly to the receiver. This ESC provides a very smooth regulation of the speed, I can make the boat almost "crawl" forward.

The receiver is a Futaba R114F 40 MHz, the antenna runs under the deck, from left to the stern, and then a little forward again, so it doesn't come too close to the motor, which could cause interference. Despite the antenna sitting quite low, range is excellent.

Total weight is 515 g, which makes the boat sit nicely on the waterline. Maneuverability is sufficient, with turns one way taking more room then the other way. If you want to be able to turn on a dime, you should either enlarge the rudder, or at least use a blade with a sleeker profile. The stock one, which is from 2 vacuum molded halves, looks nice, but isn't very effective. Same with the Paul Denker, I replaced it's rudder to have better steering.
Old May 01, 2012, 08:44 AM
Canada, ON, Minto
Joined Dec 2008
40 Posts
Thanks for the picture and the excellent information. My thinking was also to run the electric system on 6V, a small M-troniks ESC and a mini servo for the rudder. My original choice for the motor was a Graupner monoperm but I might switch to the speed 280, thanks for the recommendation.

Regards
Wilhelm
Old May 01, 2012, 02:47 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awvs View Post
Thanks for the picture and the excellent information. My thinking was also to run the electric system on 6V, a small M-troniks ESC and a mini servo for the rudder. My original choice for the motor was a Graupner monoperm but I might switch to the speed 280, thanks for the recommendation.

Regards
Wilhelm
You're welcome. The Monoperm is also a good choice, as this video, by a fellow SAR fan I've met on a Dutch RC forum, shows:

Vegesack, daughter boat of the Adolph Bermpohl (0 min 52 sec)

The 280 is lighter, so you will have more room for other components. It's also cheaper, and probably a bit faster. It might make a little more noise, although in my case that is limited to an agreeable hum on full throttle, and on lower throttle setting it makes a sort of "putt-putt" sound quite similar to a small diesel engine. You can hear this on this video, I think it sounds pretty cool:

First run of my Vegesack SAR Daughter Boat, going scale speed (0 min 31 sec)
Old May 01, 2012, 10:37 PM
Canada, ON, Minto
Joined Dec 2008
40 Posts
Hello SoloProFan,
thanks for all the information. The 280 seems to be the better choice.
Bye the way, is your Paul Denker equipped with a functioning launch system?

Regards Wilhelm