SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2003, 09:07 AM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Axon - Pictures Attached (not for the bandwidth challenged)

I've been flying this plane for about 2 weeks now. I got the plane after Martin said that I would probably enjoy it. At first I was not sure that I would like it because the wing is not removable. However now that's what I like about it the best. Covering it was a bit of a challenge, but it did not go to bad. I guess... The bottom is solid blue with white invasion stripes on the bottom of the horizontal stab and elevator. I need to finish adding them to the wings. I also plan to add the AXON in red to the right wing one of these days.

As setup my AUW is 9.2 oz. My gear is as follows, Razor 400 in a C GWS GB with a 9x5 HD prop. The 10x6 prop gives MUCH greater performance, but due to the battery pack I proped it down and I can still do every trick in the book at half throttle. I'm running 3s700 E-Tec packs on it and I'm getting 18-20 minute run times with good power through the whole flight. I'm not sure what the amp/watt's is, I'm too cheap to get a watt meter yet. However both the motor and batt's come down cool to the touch. I have a CC P-10 for the ESC, a Berg Micro for the Rx with a LiTenna on it and 3 HS-50's for the controls. The ONLY mod that I made was I added a stearable tail wheel by making it part of the rudder. In the pictures the solite hinge that I made was not holding up to well. I've since cut that and re-hinged it with 3 very small CA hinges and then re-covered the hinge area with solite. I just finished that this morning so have yet to see how it improves the handling, but I'm sure it will as the other was getting kind of sloppy.

All in all the only thing that I don't like is the real tight loops this plane does not do. I can get them down to about 7-10 feet and they look nice, any tighter and they snap out in the top of the loop without a lot of left rudder to hold it through. It also won't kinfe edge, but I did not expect it to. Spins are a hoot, they are tight and very fast with this plane, either direction. All in all I enjoy this plane and I've been flying it in some very, very tight areas. There have been plenty of people see me do it too. This plane at ~9 oz slows down like a dream. It will also float for a mile...

The day that these pictures were taken the winds were blowing 10-20 mph and gusting higher the whole time. However I flew this plane anyway. I will keep flying it in those winds too if I have to as the plane really handles them well. It does get bounced around a bit, but on high rates I can almost keep it steady in the winds...

Well enough of that, here are the pictures:
Picture #1:

Picture #2:

Picture #3:

All the pictures of it in the air are kind of far away, but if people want to see them I have a couple that show me flying it up pretty high inverted. The couple that were in low did not turn out. My brother-in-law was having a hard time keeping up with the plane in the air.

Anyway, what do ya all think? It's a keeper in my book. In fact this has become my car plane, it goes with me most everywhere these days. I have been taking it to the park and flying it at lunch most days when the weather allows...

Bill K.
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2003, 09:12 AM
Callsign: Flyby
Pacific, WA
Joined Aug 2003
437 Posts
I like the covering job. I bet it flies very nicely!
thorine is offline Find More Posts by thorine
Old Oct 29, 2003, 09:15 AM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Nice looking Axon. How long did it take you to build it? I like the covering job, clean and neat! I'm still amazed that those ET700's are performing as well as they are. But you can't argue with sucess (or 20 min flights ). Looks nice Bill.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Oct 29, 2003, 09:20 AM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thorine
I like the covering job. I bet it flies very nicely!
It really does. I like how small the areas are that I can fly it in mostly. I pretty much only need about 50 x 10 feet to land on. I can under hand launch it if I want to. The covering job still nees some work. If you look close you can see some bare wood in the pictures, that was finished up this morning.

BK
Old Oct 29, 2003, 09:24 AM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim McPherson
Nice looking Axon. How long did it take you to build it? I like the covering job, clean and neat! I'm still amazed that those ET700's are performing as well as they are. But you can't argue with sucess (or 20 min flights ). Looks nice Bill.

-Jim
Thanks Jim, I am amazed at the little 3s700's as well. I really thought after talking to you that I was going to need to switch, but figured that I would just give it a go and see. However my run times rock and the AUW is so low with them that all in all I can't complain. The 10x6 prop that I did have on there did not seem to be taxing the battery either, but I figured why push my luck. I've been happy with the 9x5, my vertical runs are not as rocket like, but they work more than well enough. I can hold just in front of the wings and give an underhand toss and the plane is flying and will go straight up. With the 10x6 on it, I would just hold the plane nose up, throttle up and let go, no toss at all.

BK
Old Oct 29, 2003, 09:35 AM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Couple more pictures

Here are a couple more pictures.

The first one I'm inverted trying to make a pass over head so that my brother-in-law can get the shot. We did some much lower passes, but they all came out as a blur or he could not get them fast enough.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 09:37 AM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
In this one, I'm flying it right at us. We had been trying and trying to get some good shots, but the wind was making that a challenge. Maybe one of these days I'll get somebody to film it in the air and I can post that.

These are the only two good air shots that I've got right now. I'll try to add some more later if I can get some...

BK
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:33 AM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Great-looking plane Bill. Nice covering job too!

Drivie
Drivie is offline Find More Posts by Drivie
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:39 AM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Drivie
Great-looking plane Bill. Nice covering job too!

Drivie
Thanks Dan!

I like your title under your avitar... I need to do the same thing...
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:48 AM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Yeah, so far I haven't been able to follow through and it's still costing me

Drivie
Drivie is offline Find More Posts by Drivie
Old Oct 29, 2003, 12:54 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Very nice Axon, Bill! The stripes on the left wing look to show up brilliantly inflight. I've also been rather impressed with the 3s 700 packs in this application. I've been using either a razor 400 5.33:1 or a razor 300 6.61:1. On the 400 I run a 10x8 and on the 300 I run a 9x7. In either case, the combo provides rocketing vertical and both the motor and pack come down cool after a flight, despite a 7A static pull.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Oct 29, 2003, 01:34 PM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Hunter
Very nice Axon, Bill! The stripes on the left wing look to show up brilliantly inflight. I've also been rather impressed with the 3s 700 packs in this application. I've been using either a razor 400 5.33:1 or a razor 300 6.61:1. On the 400 I run a 10x8 and on the 300 I run a 9x7. In either case, the combo provides rocketing vertical and both the motor and pack come down cool after a flight, despite a 7A static pull.

Martin
Thanks Martin, I'm liking these little 3s700's for what I do too. I can tell the volts start dropping off around the 13-15 minute mark depending on how hard that I've flown them, but each and every time, they come down cool. I do think that I'm going to switch back to the 10x6 HD on the RZ 400, I want to mess around with the High Alpha stuff some more and the 9x5 just seems to be lacking compaired to what I was getting with the 10x6.

The strips do show up very well and they help in knowing which way the plane is going pretty well. I need to add some red lettering to the right wing and it will be pretty much complete!!

Later,
Bill K.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 02:37 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
Nice looking plane. Bill, Glad to see you still hanging around. I hope your not bouncing that off roof tops....

Ever get the HC detailed out...?
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old Oct 29, 2003, 02:48 PM
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cadconversions
Nice looking plane. Bill, Glad to see you still hanging around. I hope your not bouncing that off roof tops....

Ever get the HC detailed out...?
Thanks, nope so far I've only had one mishap with that plane. I lost the right aileron on take off. My own dumb fault, needless to say there was some damage. I doubt you can even see it in the pictures though. The LE of one wing needed some pretty serious repair. No landings on houses.

As for the Hellcat, it took a beating at the last in-door; or I should say from my brother-in-law's bags when I picked him at the airport after the last indoor. So I've pulled the gear and I've hung it up in my oldest son's room for now and right now I'm helping my neighbor finish up his Hellcat, he's making it a sudo Hollywood Zero, should be interesting. I do plan to build another one and detail it to the nines though. Lights, Nippy, etc. Probably sometime in November or December. I love flying that little plane to much to be with out one for very long.

Bill K.

PS. Yes I'm still hanging around, still building and flying, just not posting as much... people don't care what I have say anyway...
Old Oct 29, 2003, 03:15 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
I care what you say, such as.....ARe you using the Nippy 0508 on your HC? I have the PJS300 and Nippy 0508 on order to see which one works the best. I have a feeling the Nippy will blow the PJS300 out of the water. What's you take?

I also have a Razor 400 on it's way with a "C" and "D" to try. Any combinations other than the one above that you like for a Stevens Aero Park Cap size plane?

See, I have a lot of info to pluck from your brain!
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions