HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Dexter Manley of the Washington Red Skins was famously quoted as saying that he had been functionally illiterate in college. But he was "Secretary of Defense".
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Last edited by BE77 Pilot; Apr 28, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
Wasn't Dexter Manley of the Washington Red Skins was famously quoted as saying that he had been functionally illiterate in college. But he was "Secretary of Defense".
When one looks at some of our Congressmen and women, functionally illiterate doesn't seem to have been a problem for those who elected them.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:54 PM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
When one looks at some of our Congressmen and women, functionally illiterate doesn't seem to have been a problem for those who elected them.
You wouldn't be talking about the honorable Hank Johnson or Maxine Waters now, would you? Or maybe Nancy or Harry, the list is to long to keep guessing who you might be referring too.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
You wouldn't be talking about the honorable Hank Johnson or Maxine Waters now, would you? Or maybe Nancy or Harry, the list is to long to keep guessing who you might be referring too.
Damn, you channeling me?

They top the list, but it is long and not very distinguished.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:48 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Just imagine the expenses the NFL saves by having athletes provided by college programs. Sure, you can get a scholarship to play baseball, but when was the last time you saw a nationally televised college baseball game in the regular season. MLB and the minor league team owners aren't a big money maker, I imagine a majority of the teams lose money.

As far as athletes salaries, I have no problem with them getting whatever they can get, they generate a huge amount of revenue. The biggest problem is teams that are richer, from TV money, like the Yankees, often pay one player more than some of the smaller market teams pay the whole 25 man roster. But in most professional fields, the top 1000 or so in the field are going to be making as much or more than major league athletes, plus their careers can span as much as 40-50 years. I think I read once that something like 80% of MLB players that make it to the majors play less than 2 years. Often that is after playing baseball since they were 5 years old, with as much as ten years in the minor leagues. Out of that elite 1000-1200 MLB players, there are probably less than 70 making more than $10 million a year.

Also, I think of GA Tech, when it comes to college football, since I have only been to their games, and back in the 1920-1940 era, they used to be a dominant team, while having very high academic standards. This sort of predates lucrative pro football, so you had real engineers going to the Rose Bowl. I think it was in the late seventies that they changed their curriculum to add other degrees than engineering, and of course, this was with one thing in mind, to attract more athletes. Today, I recently read the Univ. of GA actually has a higher average SAT score among their students than GA Tech does. Sort of a bit of blasphemy.... Back in the early seventies, when my buddy was attending UGA, it was a big party school, I spent many weekends up there. It took him seven years to get his 4 year degree, and most of the photos that he posts or his friends from college post on facebook from the old days, he is visibly inebriated or high, today, he is a successful father and insurance salesman.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
most of the photos that he posts or his friends from college post on facebook from the old days, he is visibly inebriated or high, today, he is a successful father

Beer Goggles (0 min 58 sec)
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:56 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
I had some of those, but they were JD goggles...

More of a waking up with someone you don't even recognize as having met before than the ugly thing though... How did we survive youth?
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shaw View Post
The majority of the head injuries are sustained by a defender tackling an offensive player while leading with his head. The defender gets his head jammed resulting in a neck or back injury. If the players didn't have protective head gear, they would have to change their tackling techniques to avoid using their head. It's not as far fetched an idea as you may think. Think Rugby.
That's how I read it too.

But man, that would mean fewer meat wagon breaks. I use those to use the bathroom, get some more chips, get something to drink.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:33 AM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
I had some of those, but they were JD goggles...

More of a waking up with someone you don't even recognize as having met before than the ugly thing though... How did we survive youth?
A friend of mine went out and got blasted when we were in the Navy, the next day he woke up to a woman that was so unattractive he kicked her out of her own bed. true story.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member