HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:23 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,877 Posts
Discussion
programming aileron mix for braking

how do you program aileron mix for braking effect?

i have read that some do so, in order to slow down a sailplane-or any plane-for landing, without the need to add spoilers.
so when flipping a switch (like landing gear) you have both ailerons going up and slow down and still you can use them as ailerons, 1 up and the other down.

i have a DX6 and a DX6i.

thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:32 AM
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jan 2008
119 Posts
HI Phil

Make sure your ailerons are setup as flaperons. Then instead of programing them to go down (flaps), you program them to go up (spoilerons) when you flip the flap switch. Make sure they go up by at least 45degrees, more the better. Once you know if your plane pitches nose up/down, you can add some elevator compensation to flap.

It is a very effective way to land a flap-/spoilerless glider in a small space. Commonly used on slope planes and electric hotliners without flaps.
snarf007 is offline Find More Posts by snarf007
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:16 AM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
I would recommend not to deflect them 45 deg, since then you have a drastically reduced aileron response.
Not good when you're low and slow, coming in for landing.

My experience is that raised ailerons do not slow down the plane significantly, however, what they do, is increase sink-rate, since by raising the ailerons, that part of the wing will produce little or no lift, so you will increase your sink rate without increasing forward speed.
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,877 Posts
thank you gentlemen for your advice.

mtt: makes sense that ailerons up will not slow down but will make the plane sink and shorten the landing run.
like a step on stairways
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:43 PM
Czech Republic
Joined Jan 2009
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
thank you gentlemen for your advice.

mtt: makes sense that ailerons up will not slow down but will make the plane sink and shorten the landing run.
like a step on stairways
This kind of brakes I use on my semi scale gliders. Ailerons up (cca 45 degrees) causes much sink, but it does not cause a slow down. It has advantages in strong thermic, where it is very effective. I can only put ailerons up and watch on my vario (Jeti Duplex) the rescue of my glider from powerful thermic. Landing with ailerons up is a bit dangerous (model is fast and strong decreasing), so I prefer to put ailerons to a normal stage for landing. Manuevrability with ailerons up is limited, it is necessary to use rudder.
adamcz is offline Find More Posts by adamcz
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,877 Posts
spoilers instead to slow down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz View Post
This kind of brakes I use on my semi scale gliders. Ailerons up (cca 45 degrees) causes much sink, but it does not cause a slow down. It has advantages in strong thermic, where it is very effective. I can only put ailerons up and watch on my vario (Jeti Duplex) the rescue of my glider from powerful thermic. Landing with ailerons up is a bit dangerous (model is fast and strong decreasing), so I prefer to put ailerons to a normal stage for landing. Manuevrability with ailerons up is limited, it is necessary to use rudder.
it seems that if i want the plane to slow down, i have to use spoilers.

thanks
Last edited by phil alvirez; Apr 29, 2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:25 PM
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jan 2008
119 Posts
I disagree with MTT. I use more than 45degrees deflection on my spoilerons and have never had a problem with roll control on finals. I do find that the exaggerated differential caused by the spoilerons causes the glider to yaw slightly in the direction of aileron input.

They are called spoilerons, because they are ailerons that function as spoilers and spoil the lift the wing is producing. An added bonus is that they also create drag and will slow the glider down.

The problem with using too little spoileron defeflection is that you end up reflexing the wing and that causing the glider to speed up.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined Jul 2007
4,877 Posts
details

great! sounds good to me, so i would like to try it.
now could you please provide step by step sequence to program my DX6 or DX6i to do that?
thanks
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:47 AM
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jan 2008
119 Posts
Hi Phil

I think you are posting your questions in the wrong forum. This is a forum dedicated to Scale Gliders, I think you would get a faster reply in the Sailplane Talk or Radios forums.

Here is a link to the DX6 manual
http://www.modelflight.com.au/manual...dx6_manual.pdf

Flaperon mixing is used with airplanes that have independant servos operating each of the two ailerons. When using aperon mixing, two servos (one for each aileron) must be used. Once FPN is selected in wing type the following will help in setting up aperons.
• Connect the left aileron servo to channel #6 (AUX) and the right aileron servo to channel #2 (AILE) in the receiver.
• In the travel adjust mode (see page 42) adjust the travel adjust values forap to 0%
in both directions. This will effectively turn off the ap switch for now, preventing the aperons(bothaileronscombined)frommovingupordownwhe nthe apswitchis ipped.Latterbyassigningavalueineitherdirectionthe apswitchcanbeusedtoraise or lower the aps.
Note: Individual functions (e.g., servo reversing, sub-trims, dual rates, etc.) are still available for each of the aileron and flap channels. Use sub-trims for individual neutral adjustment. Adjust the ailerons travel values by increasing or decreasing the aileron travel adjust. D/R and expo values, as well as differential, are also available in the appropriate screens.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,877 Posts
post 9

thank you for your advice. i will try and see how it works for me.

about where to ask for help, i have learned that frequently we ask about subjects that may well be answered on any of several forums, as they overlap, and some times we get better results on certain forum, where the participants are more knowledgeable or more cooperative or both.
and here, where the use of flaps or spoilers is common, may well apply.
thanks again for your help.