HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Question
Which servos to use with Easystar?

I am using the Futaba R3110DPS receiver, and was wondering which which type of servo I could use with my Easystar kit I am going to be putting together? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Which servos would best fit the fuselage precut servo locations?

easystarfpv4 is offline Find More Posts by easystarfpv4
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:22 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
Just about any of the 9g servos would be fine. I've used HXT900's and Emax 8g's in the past.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:30 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,060 Posts
The moulded spaces are intended for the Multiplex TinyS , which is the exact same housing as the Hitec HS-81. (Hitec owns Multiplex or vice versa)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=29

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564626
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:37 PM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia County, Split
Joined Apr 2012
114 Posts
Hitec Hs-81, but make sure you install control snakes right way or it might brake, i have broken two hs-81's this way
romano_st is offline Find More Posts by romano_st
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
114 Posts
for use with ailerons use micro size like hs-65 or similar
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:22 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,681 Posts
I'd suggest saving some weight (and money) by going with the HXT900s instead of Hitec HS-81s. The former are 9 grams each and perfectly adequate for the relatively small control surfaces of an EasyStar. The latter are almost 17g and usually 4 or 5 times the price, without necessarily having a stronger gear train.

To put it into perspective, Multiplex also recommends HS-81s on the rudder and elevator of a FunCub, which is both a far larger aeroplane and a more demanding application (the FunCub's rudder servo also has to work the tail wheel and rudder ). Obviously, HS-81s are capable of far more than the demands placed on them by an EasyStar, and saving ~16g is not insignificant.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
HS-81 is overkill. HXT-900s are all you need. Seriously, there's not a lot of elevator or rudder surface on an EasyStar, and even the HXT-900s aren't working hard at all. This is true even on a souped up (brushless powered) EasyStar.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:39 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
I am using hxt500's on my ez*, brushless too, should i be putting in my hxt900's in and what would be the difference? Are they gonna crap out on me or is it the performance side of a servo?
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Apr 2012
114 Posts
Ez rudder and elevator servo slot is made for small standard servos, hxt900 are micro servos, so you will have to make some mod to put them, as for size of ez compared to fun cub, size iz similar, ez have 1370 mm wingspan funcub have 1400 mm wingspan and similar fuselage length, funcub is almost double weight of ez, but if you put camera on EZ weight will be almost same, so the usage of HS-81 (or simiar ) is recommended
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
The only "mod" needed to install HXT-900s in an EasyStar is a tiny piece of scrap foam simply to snug up the servo in its pocket. I used HS-81s in my first EasyStar only because I didn't know better, and because they were recommended by the guy at Hobby Lobby who helped me put my order together at the time.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Apr 2012
114 Posts
from servos i ask confidence, htx900 with their loud sound dont give me confidence, especially when you crash a model because of it, after that i only use good brands, lot of people say they are good....not good enough, price says all, call me a snob or whatever
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:54 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by romano_st View Post
from servos i ask confidence, htx900 with their loud sound dont give me confidence, especially when you crash a model because of it, after that i only use good brands, lot of people say they are good....not good enough, price says all, call me a snob or whatever
HXT900s are actually quite excellent servos, sold and used by the kilo. They are strong and light, with a more robust gear train than HS-55s. The downside of the strength is higher current draw, but with only two servos on an EasyStar even the whimpiest BEC can cope.

As for "recommended" HS-81 usage, Multiplex sometimes have rather questionable official servo recommendations. Besides the already mentioned FunCub oddities (only HS-55s on the ailerons and flaps of a FunCub, but HS-81 is supposedly necessary for the rudder and elevator of an EasyStar?!?), another obvious oddity is the HS-55s "recommended" all-round for a Dogfighter. That's a 150km/h plane out-of-the-box with the "Ultra" setup, and HS-55s are quite clearly inadequate. And yet somehow, that tiny rudder on an EasyStar (brushed motor with a 5x4 by default) still has to run an HS-81 according to the official recommendation.

Clearly, some of those suggestions are quite arbitrary, and motivated by different needs at different times. My guess is that at the time the EasyStar 1 was designed (~2002?), Multiplex either didn't produce a servo in the 9g class, or they had a glut of HS-81s.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4